HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 5:17 PM

This project was approved for a construction permit on the 7th:
https://li.phila.gov/#details?entity...0S%2012TH%20ST

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 5:35 AM

They've just about finished vacating all of the stores from the retail spaces at the 12th & Walnut garage, too.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
They've just about finished vacating all of the stores from the retail spaces at the 12th & Walnut garage, too.
whats happening there? I thought only the 12th and sansom garage was being demolished.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
whats happening there? I thought only the 12th and sansom garage was being demolished.
12th and Walnut will also be demolished and two highrise towers will replace it. One office building, and one residential building. It's the next Phase of the "East Market" development.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
12th and Walnut will also be demolished and two highrise towers will replace it. One office building, and one residential building. It's the next Phase of the "East Market" development.
?? Isn't that 12th and Chestnut? 12th and Walnut is a garage next to 1213 Walnut. https://www.google.com/maps/place/12...!4d-75.1606651 I know of no current plans for it. The 12th and Chestnut East Market project is a different garage that is coming down.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 5:59 PM

Quote:
You're getting your cross streets confused, Summers.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
You're getting your cross streets confused, Summers.
Oh boy! You're right... wrong intersection. I thought he said 12th and Chestnut. Soooo... wow... is 12th and Walnut being redeveloped as well?????

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Oh boy! You're right... wrong intersection. I thought he said 12th and Chestnut. Soooo... wow... is 12th and Walnut being redeveloped as well?????
Not that I know of. But that should definitely be next/soon!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 7:25 PM

I am not aware of anything happening at 12th & Walnut, but there’s been a clear push to get the retail tenants out. Starbucks moved across the street, Masala Kitchen is moving across the street, the cleaners on 12th is closed, the clothing store on Walnut is closed.... If nothing else, they’re at least renovating.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 8:35 PM

Quote:
I am not aware of anything happening at 12th & Walnut, but there’s been a clear push to get the retail tenants out. Starbucks moved across the street, Masala Kitchen is moving across the street, the cleaners on 12th is closed, the clothing store on Walnut is closed.... If nothing else, they’re at least renovating.
Not sure this is an extrinsic push from the owner. The old cost space is far better for Starbucks. New tenants have moved in, such as the medical marijuana store.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 1:28 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Not sure this is an extrinsic push from the owner. The old cost space is far better for Starbucks. New tenants have moved in, such as the medical marijuana store.
I wouldn't be surprised if the medical marijuana store expands through the whole floor. I doubt the garage is going anywhere-- they just got that mural painted on it.

The garage could technically be considered historical since it's the largest remaining development from one of the city's only female developers of the 20th Century, Goldie Hoffman. It might be her last Center City one once the small retail building on the 2000 block of Chestnut goes down.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the medical marijuana store expands through the whole floor. I doubt the garage is going anywhere-- they just got that mural painted on it.

The garage could technically be considered historical since it's the largest remaining development from one of the city's only female developers of the 20th Century, Goldie Hoffman. It might be her last Center City one once the small retail building on the 2000 block of Chestnut goes down.
they have been repairing that garage for the last few years- its not going anywhere.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post

Re the medical marijuana store -- that could very well be what's happening. They've definitely consolidated a couple of the raw spaces, it looks like.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Re the medical marijuana store -- that could very well be what's happening. They've definitely consolidated a couple of the raw spaces, it looks like.
It'd probably be good for that store to move or expand into the Walnut Street side. I do hope this garage is eventually redeveloped. I find it to be an ugly one, even though they attempt to liven it up with modern art paintings on the upper floors. And the plot seems large enough to include parking and maybe even a lot of that underground in the right project. But, like everyone said, it's going to be awhile.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 4:30 PM

A demo permit was issued for the garage on December 9th:

ZP-2020-006315C
Dec 9, 2020
123-27 S 12TH ST, Philadelphia, PA 19107-4933
BJP 123-127 OWNER LLC 1

1. Completely demolish all existing structures. 2. Construct 1 detached, 20-story mixed use, multi-family residential dwelling structure having 412 units, 1 commercial space (11,300 sf vacant)and 2 floors of underground parking garage having 94 accessory parking spaces and 114 bicycle spaces. a. Floors C1 and C2: Underground parking garage having 94 parking spaces and 114 bicycle spaces. b. Floor 1: Commercial space (vacant - 11,300sf ), residential lobby, mechanicals and accessory storage, loading. c. Floors 2-20: 124 single family residential dwelling units; Flr 2 and 3 - amenity spaces and personal services (Flr 2 -private fitness center) with accessory roof decks. d. Roof: Mechanicals 3. With related building and site improvements. 4. All as per submitted plans prepared by Bohler Engineering, dated 9/08/2020. 5. Conditional Zoning Permit and CDR Referral Letter requested.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 6:58 PM

Boom! Build it baby. This garage is awful.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Boom! Build it baby. This garage is awful.
indeed. oNe of the worst downtown

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 2:46 PM

Wow. Forgot about this one! This will be a huge improvement. Were'n there two other proposals on essentially the same block as this from before the pandemic hit too? One at the Wendy's and one at the former Midtown Diner. Wonder if they'll make a comeback too.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
Wow. Forgot about this one! This will be a huge improvement. Were'n there two other proposals on essentially the same block as this from before the pandemic hit too? One at the Wendy's and one at the former Midtown Diner. Wonder if they'll make a comeback too.
Hopefully! There's been no movement on either for months, if not over a year.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 1:31 AM

I think this is one of the most handsome proposals in the city. And a needed and specific use.

Can't wait to see it rise.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction