HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 10:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Something Winnipeg desperately needs is to step up the ticketing of bikes using sidewalks, especially on streets that already have a dedicated bike lane.
How about concentrating on ticketing people who own transportation capable of killing others. Drunk drivers, people who are reckless drivers, or speed in vehicles. I've never heard of anyone getting killed by a cyclist while on the sidewalk

Ticketing cyclists is of extremely low importance or priority.

Last edited by Jets4Life; Aug 26, 2017 at 1:35 AM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
How about concentrating on ticketing people who own transportation capable of killing others. Drunk drivers, people who are reckless drivers, or speed in vehicles. I've never heard of anyone getting killed by a cyclist while on the sidewalk

Ticketing cyclists is of extremely low importance or priority.
Agreed. Its one of the favourite fallback talking points for that crowd though. Major false equivalency.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 5:34 PM

The issue with ticketing cyclists right now is the city doesn't seem to know it's own rules. They just put up "Yield to pedestrian" signs arbitrarily. On St. Mary's south of QEB, they go all the way to Tache, yet it's just a regular sized narrow sidewalk. And it's the same size on both sides, but only signs on one.

At no point does it denote a mixed AT path, and at no point does it tell cyclists to join traffic, but the yield signs end. Then there's the Bike Route signs everywhere that mean nothing. Then you go to the Osborne bridge where there room on the bridge for bike lanes, but they're not marked because there's none on either side of Osborne (even though there's plenty of room to the north) but the sidewalks are double-wide on the bridge and they've put up "No Cylcling on Sidewalks" signs. There's no consistency or reason.

I'm just not sure how any literate person is supposed to be able to figure out whatsidewalks are OK to ride on and what aren't. So how can you ticket someone for something that's so unclear. Red light runner? Sure - go at em. But some cities allow cyclists STOP and cross at reds.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 6:29 PM

I noticed some hash marks on the south side of the Osborne bridge. It seems as though they're thinking of painting in sharrows or even shrinking vehicular lanes to accommodate bike lanes. Would be nice.

You make a good point about how confused the rules are too. St. Vital is the worst offending part of the city, where it seems as though it's still an independent city making its own rules, on top of what the city is doing. The worst is on Dakota, which has a bike sidewalk and sharrows in the gutter.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 7:35 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
You make a good point about how confused the rules are too. St. Vital is the worst offending part of the city, where it seems as though it's still an independent city making its own rules, on top of what the city is doing. The worst is on Dakota, which has a bike sidewalk and sharrows in the gutter.
It's called community pride.

Before your time, but base on my reading in the past, most or all suburban municipalities OPPOSED Centralized municipal gov't, aka known as "Unicity"...all except central City of Winnipeg proper.

Metro RulZ! Let's have a goal to de-amalgamate at least ONE suburb. How about St. B or Transcona in the next 10 yrs.?

Quote:
I noticed some hash marks on the south side of the Osborne bridge. It seems as though they're thinking of painting in sharrows or even shrinking vehicular lanes to accommodate bike lanes. Would be nice.
South Osborne Bridge (OV area) was always the sticking point of WHY despite its redoing in the past few years I still didn't feel comfy enough to ride on the bike lane, because it just narrows before Roslyn Rd.

Wouldn't want to be SB on Osbore Bridge bike lane, only to be "clipped" by a WT diesel bus.

Sorry, but I'll stick to where it's SAFE...on the sidewalk of that Bridge.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 11:44 PM

Yeah, it still blows my mind that they didn't put bike lanes on Osborne north of the bridge when they redid it. There's literally infinite room. Even now, they could just build a sidewalk on the other side of the treeline and make the existing sidewalk a bike path. There's room for (a) bike lane(s) all the way from the bridge to Ellice, there's no reason at all why Memorial here needs to be 4 lanes.

Even better, from Broadway > York, make existing Memorial NB one lane each way + 1 parking lane (it's already 3 lanes). Close the existing SB lane to traffic, and eventually integrate it into a redeveloped, more functional Memorial Park. There's wayyyy too much road around that area.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 7:02 PM

Work has begun on Keewatin between Inkster and Burrows of another bike path. It's too bad they are not planning any sort of bike box and half signal for cyclists using the Church/Machray bike route. I rode this the other day and it is reasonably well signed and even has bike request buttons at Main Street. The buttons are needed at McPhillips as I had to ride up on the sidewalk to activate the light. Also, traffic circles are in place at some medium capacity intersections, making it a pleasant ride.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/p...atinstreet.stm

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 7:38 PM

Bikes before cancer patients. Well played Winnipeg. /s

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 10:27 PM

Looks like the city is looking at building a bridge across the assinaboine between Osborne and Donald. This has been in there long term plan for some time but i never expected it to happen.

RFP For the design:
http://www.winnipeg.ca/MatMgt/Folder...2017&YEAR=2017

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Bikes before cancer patients. Well played Winnipeg. /s
Didn't someone post in the other thread a picture showing that there still are parking spots? Nice job trig to start a fight though.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
It's called community pride.

Before your time, but base on my reading in the past, most or all suburban municipalities OPPOSED Centralized municipal gov't, aka known as "Unicity"...all except central City of Winnipeg proper.

Metro RulZ! Let's have a goal to de-amalgamate at least ONE suburb. How about St. B or Transcona in the next 10 yrs.?

South Osborne Bridge (OV area) was always the sticking point of WHY despite its redoing in the past few years I still didn't feel comfy enough to ride on the bike lane, because it just narrows before Roslyn Rd.

Wouldn't want to be SB on Osbore Bridge bike lane, only to be "clipped" by a WT diesel bus.

Sorry, but I'll stick to where it's SAFE...on the sidewalk of that Bridge.
I agree 100%. Sick of subsidizing unnecessary urban sprawl at the cost of crumbling infrastructure in truly urban portions of the city and having poorer than should be transit in the inner city so buses can run essentially empty in far-flung low-density suburbs. The TTC does not continue high density routes like 504 King or 505 Dundas into Oakville or Pickering. Low density suburbs are a financial burden on the inner city and the adjacent higher density suburbs and will become increasingly so in the future.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Didn't someone post in the other thread a picture showing that there still are parking spots? Nice job trig to start a fight though.
There is currently no parking on McDermot in front on CancerCare due to the bike lane. Go over there and check for yourself if you don't believe me. Before the change to the bike lane there were several handicap only spots immediately outside the CancerCare door.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 8:17 PM

Quote:
There is currently no parking on McDermot in front on CancerCare due to the bike lane. Go over there and check for yourself if you don't believe me. Before the change to the bike lane there were several handicap only spots immediately outside the CancerCare door.
There's a driveway where folks can pull right up to the front doors of Cancer Care for drop off / pick up and there are several reserved spots immediately to the west of the entrance for the volunteer shuttle vans that ferry patients to and from appointments. Nobody is putting bicycles before cancer patients. This rhetoric is not helpful. And it's not reasonable to expect on-street parking right in front of a major heath care facility anyway. This is why there's a drop off spot.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 8:21 PM

^ The reality is that only a tiny fraction of cancer patients in the building at any one time can use that small handful of spots in front of the building anyway. Losing 5 spots is not really going to fundamentally change things.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
There's a driveway where folks can pull right up to the front doors of Cancer Care for drop off / pick up and there are several reserved spots immediately to the west of the entrance for the volunteer shuttle vans that ferry patients to and from appointments. Nobody is putting bicycles before cancer patients. This rhetoric is not helpful. And it's not reasonable to expect on-street parking right in front of a major heath care facility anyway. This is why there's a drop off spot.
The driveway and loop your mention are strict no-parking zones. There is no close and cheap parking other than the spots eliminated for a bike lane. So we have gone from spots to try and accommodate cancer patients who need to be accompanied by family members who could park for $4 a visit to jacking their out of pocket cost to $20 a visit all to accommodate some bikes. Never mind that you went from like a 60 second walk to a 5+ minute walk. Nicely done. /s'

Further, the bike lane could have been moved one block north to William and not had the same negative impact. It is an incredible poor choice of location.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 7:06 PM

Quote:
The driveway and loop your mention are strict no-parking zones. There is no close and cheap parking other than the spots eliminated for a bike lane. So we have gone from spots to try and accommodate cancer patients who need to be accompanied by family members who could park for $4 a visit to jacking their out of pocket cost to $20 a visit all to accommodate some bikes. Never mind that you went from like a 60 second walk to a 5+ minute walk. Nicely done. /s
There is a loading zone, so presumably the patients who need to be, as you say, accompanied by family members can still be dropped off and brought into the building, and the said family members can park the car. Let's not overreact here.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
There is a loading zone, so presumably the patients who need to be, as you say, accompanied by family members can still be dropped off and brought into the building, and the said family members can park the car. Let's not overreact here.
I have seen that loading zone more than most people as I used to pick up my wife every day near there. It isn't someplace you can park for 15+ minutes and take your family member to their appointment. If you do much more that a drop and go there people start getting upset with you in a hurry and it is a very busy loading zone.

The reality is there is limited affordable parking in the hospital area and HSC was previously featured in a national news story on that exact issues. Removing some of the few affordable spaces near the HSC campus and worse those closest to CancerCare is beyond horrible planning by the City. Sure, a bike lane is needed but you could have pushed it up Elgin with nearly zero impact on HSC. Worse, McDermot was among one of the most dangerous streets to travel on due to the amount of traffic it had so that choice itself seems odd. As I previously mentioned the four lane William one block north would have touched both the Exchange and HSC campus and had far less negative impact. It is as if the City went looking for the worst possible route to disrupt to make a bike path and settled on that.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 5:19 PM

^A loading zone is for unloading and loading passengers -- not waiting 15 minutes for appointments. When I drive my elderly mother to the hospital I simply let her off at the door and park the car in a pay lot nearby, or on the street a few blocks away. It would be nice to have convenient, cheap on-street parking at the front door, but the loss of a half dozen spaces is not a huge trade-off for safer cycling infrastructure.

Not sure how you could reach the conclusion that William would be safer for cycling or less busy than McDermot? That's not been my experience in this area at all.

Winnipeg is not the only city trying to balance the need for safe cycling infrastructure with the desire for cheap, convenient parking. In May of this year, there was a similar debate when 75 parking spots were eliminated on 10th Ave near Vancouver General for a bike lane. You can't please everyone.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 9:23 PM

Trust me a quick drop off and go doesn't always work on the HSC campus. A while back I had injured my foot and couldn't walk. I knew my route out but was stuck with no way of getting from the clinic to my ride without assistance. I was trying but doing horrible and ended up getting offered assistance from a random stranger passing by that understand the issue. The sheer lack of compassion for cancer patients and their families here over the convenience of cyclists is alarming. As I mentioned William has four lanes and could easily have had the bike lanes added with a lot less impact to other people. Even more so the extremely lightly travelled Elgin two blocks north could have had a cycling route added and almost no one would have noticed. Both those routes would still result in a loss of on street parking but neither would impact cancer patients like the McDermot changes do.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 12:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Trust me a quick drop off and go doesn't always work on the HSC campus. A while back I had injured my foot and couldn't walk. I knew my route out but was stuck with no way of getting from the clinic to my ride without assistance. I was trying but doing horrible and ended up getting offered assistance from a random stranger passing by that understand the issue. The sheer lack of compassion for cancer patients and their families here over the convenience of cyclists is alarming. As I mentioned William has four lanes and could easily have had the bike lanes added with a lot less impact to other people. Even more so the extremely lightly travelled Elgin two blocks north could have had a cycling route added and almost no one would have noticed. Both those routes would still result in a loss of on street parking but neither would impact cancer patients like the McDermot changes do.
You should petition City Hall to ban cycling within city limits. Anyone caught riding a bicycle should be flogged in a public square. Those evil cyclists are making a mockery of our great city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan