HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 3:30 PM

The drawings show 21 stories.

I think this is preferable to 30 stories, we should save the 'taller' buildings to the downtown side otherwise the city will look imbalanced.

What is going on with the parcels around The Banks? Seems the City is sitting on these for no good reason? These should be developed before the arena, more people in that area will also help keep the market busy.

I was recently in Moncton and my partner and I noted how many smaller cities seem to have vibrant markets. Not sure why ours cannot be busy 5 or 6 days a week. Moncton market is excellent and right downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninipanini View Post
From the drawings and the numbers I think it's going to be 21 stories not 18?

Will still be some respectable density for the neighborhood. Any word on when they are planning to break ground?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 9:36 PM

There's a video update for the Eastlake/12th Street proposal here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzPqiv-ZzYM

At around 8 minutes in there's a timeline for the project - it estimates 2025 as the start date for construction. Construction is estimated to take 3 years.

There's also some new renders and more in-depth details about the design in the video, I'd recommend checking it out if you have time! It's certainly an exciting project, I really hope it gets approved.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 10:13 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overklll View Post
The drawings show 21 stories.

I think this is preferable to 30 stories, we should save the 'taller' buildings to the downtown side otherwise the city will look imbalanced..
A 30 story building that will stand for 50+ years is the least of my concerns. Hopefully, at some point in this development's useful life, there will be 50 story buildings downtown and then the city would look plenty "balanced".

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 5:58 PM

Bad Planning

Talk about bad planning at City Hall! The Ex parade got cancelled due to the fact that the entire downtown is apparently shut down. A sense of paralysis exists with regard to anything to do with the core. I wonder why.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmx View Post
:A sense of paralysis exists with regard to anything to do with the core.
Can you expand on this? You mean because of the Ex parade or in general?

I was down there a week ago and spent some time, a few days in fact, walking around, day and night. It was lively. Lots of people walking their dogs, being friendly, going to coffee shops, the pubs, cannabis shops, clothes shops, etc. They were even sitting outside, enjoying the sun and other folks passing by.

Sure, there were several seedy types, but even these folks, if you gave them a nod, gave you one back. It was not at all different than a night in any other downtown core in Canada. If you think it's not like Dalmany, you're right, and thanks for that. It was urban, it was interesting and it was fun.

Two cents to the wind....

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 5:58 AM

that condo project must be a good progressive one if North Prairie is starting to lie about their downtown projects again lol. I swear they bring up their fake downtown condos and office towers whenever they feel threatened by downtown projects that may affect demand for their skimpy suburban projects. hopefully that condo company turns into a suburban developer too in the long run. saskatoon seems better off without north prairie

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfgh View Post
I think it still needs to be rezoned and the property actually purchased. It's basically just an idea at this point, but hopefully they move on it. I'd guess the earliest they could begin is late 2024, but who knows....
Just to clarify, the developer has owned the property at 403 12th St E since 2010, and they purchased 555 Eastlake in 2020. The city owns the treed area below those two parcels.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 4:14 PM

Also on ownership, I wonder who owns the top of the Broadway bridge plot, the Nassers, or Urban Capitol? The Bess points out that UC isn't thinking about developing it in the near future. Maybe the Nassers could partner with somebody else who could give more value and better spaces for the prices UC was asking for in their original 'high class' Toronto offering.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 5:39 PM

A couple shots from the aodbt/city of Saskatoon Eastlake video:

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Talk about bad planning at City Hall! The Ex parade got cancelled due to the fact that the entire downtown is apparently shut down. A sense of paralysis exists with regard to anything to do with the core. I wonder why.
Seems the issue might be Prairieland. I'd be concerned if the city planned their road works as late as February or April. They'd be getting some pretty terrible prices if they waited that late to lock in their plans.

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/saskato...eXzX8GqjuF8F7A

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 10:31 AM

Two projects I hope to hear more from are, the Spire:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Not being from Saskatoon I haven't gone though all of these pages, but I haven't seen a thread for Spire. 838 Spadina Cres - 19 storey, 106 Units. Looks like a great project.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 10:44 AM

And this one! Looks like some decisions are coming up next month
Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
Renderings look nice. I'm not entirely comfortable with an apparently nascent trend of Nutana out-downtowning downtown. And personally speaking, I'd miss the Remai community garden. That said, if its going to happen, this is among the best case scenarios for this type of development. It's appropriately scaled, and is a fairly good looking and architecturally interesting building (should it match the renderings). Nice finishes on the parkade level, and pleasant looking balconies on most of the floors.

The report refers to a proposed tenant looking to expand their Saskatoon office presence. Any guesses?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 7:21 PM

It May Look Nice Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskabusher View Post
Two projects I hope to hear more from are, the Spire:
But just wait until they run it through the City mill.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 8:31 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
But just wait until they run it through the City mill.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it has cleared its municipal procedural hurdles?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it has cleared its municipal procedural hurdles?
Yes, this even had heritage groups forcing it to go to a provincial development appeals board to try to counter the city's decision on it, but it still managed to pass, so this is all with the developer now. In theory, they could start building at any time.

As for 509 12th, it appears it is going to municipal planning commission in July, then council in August according to this - https://www.saskatoon.ca/engage/509-12th-street-east

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 4:14 PM

^^ thanks for the link. Yeah, that's what I remember. As all the crying should be done and tears dry over the final garden plots this summer, it should go ahead. What a long, drawn-out process though, just to get approval for a little office space in/near the core. This size of office space drops left and right on the best soil in the province/burbs all the time. I don't get it.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 4:20 PM

Didn't the Spire have to change the design of their balconies, though? Like, they were hanging out a bit too far over a lane, or something? Any phone lines to Meridian? Haha

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 8:39 PM

No, as was stated before the spire is good to go whenever they want.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2023, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
No, as was stated before the spire is good to go whenever they want.
Perfect! The Saskatoon skyline is about to.... Ah, I'll reserve judgement, but at least we'll be punching our weight soon. With so many new buildings being proposed, some must be able to beat the bureaucratic hurdles....

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 7:07 PM
Unregistered User

Looks like ground has broken for the new St. Frances Bilingual Cree School on the site of Sion Middle School in Holliston: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...toon-1.6889170

This is great news for students, First Nations groups, and the city at large, the school will have capacity for 700 students, will provide meals, and I am sure will be an essential place for cultural learning. Hope it is a catalyst for improving social conditions.

I was complaining a while ago about the lack of investment into the aesthetics in public buildings in this province. The new St. Frances school looks to be an exception to this complaint. I would not go so far as to call it beautiful but it sure looks a whole lot better than the joint-use schools in Stonebridge, Hampton Village etc. And 3 stories -- when was the last time a 3 story elementary school was built in Saskatoon? The 1910s?

Pic from the article:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan