HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 3:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It's election time. The PC's are promising a lot right now just like the NDP did before tehy lost power.

Why is Chief Peguis under going another design study? It's a cheap way for government to look like they're doing things.
Maybe because as a city closing in on 1 million with an ever expanding NW quadrant a main arterial roadway is sorely missing!

Despite what people like Allard and Bellamy think (dream) Winnipeg does need more high capacity, higher speed roadways, not everyone has the luxury of a leisurely bike ride to an office job!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 3:24 PM

The design study was already done. They're calling it a feasibility study. So maybe it will be a financial update. I don't know.

As an engineer. I love these big, linear projects. It's my bread and butter. I make money off them too. But I'm more aligned with the transit side of large, linear projects than I am for roads. Sure we'll need some roads at some point. Chief and Kenaston are just half baked options. Our Winnipeg transit projects are also the same. So I lose interest and support of them.

I'll say again I am in Montreal. And living here for this short period seriously makes me re-consider why I live in Winnipeg beyond the fact I was born there. Sure every City has issues and controversy. But my word Winnipeg spreads too thin and gets nothing done.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Maybe because as a city closing in on 1 million with an ever expanding NW quadrant a main arterial roadway is sorely missing!

Despite what people like Allard and Bellamy think (dream) Winnipeg does need more high capacity, higher speed roadways, not everyone has the luxury of a leisurely bike ride to an office job!
Ya I get it. There's a lot of housing being built out there. CPT will make my life a lot easier as I drive to the NW regularly.

I just don't get why they need another study. Everything's been studied to death. It's more election fodder form the PC's. Here is a small token amount of money to show our support. Will they provide $500+ million to get Kenaston and CPT built is another question.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 3:29 PM

Quote:
I'll say again I am in Montreal. And living here for this short period seriously makes me re-consider why I live in Winnipeg beyond the fact I was born there. Sure every City has issues and controversy. But my word Winnipeg spreads too thin and gets nothing done.
Well, here's a chance to get something done. Extending Chief Peguis to McPhillips would take it through some pretty well established areas, so it's not like it's enabling greenfield sprawl. The extension can also dramatically cut down the number of cars on regional streets like Leila and Inkster.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 3:31 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Ya I get it. There's a lot of housing being built out there. CPT will make my life a lot easier as I drive to the NW regularly.

I just don't get why they need another study. Everything's been studied to death. It's more election fodder form the PC's. Here is a small token amount of money to show our support. Will they provide $500+ million to get Kenaston and CPT built is another question.
Yeah exactly. The proof is in the pudding.

Eventually things will have to happen. It's too bad that nobody has ever really followed through with any real vision for a transportation strategy. Every plan gets shelved. No consistency.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Well, here's a chance to get something done. Extending Chief Peguis to McPhillips would take it through some pretty well established areas, so it's not like it's enabling greenfield sprawl. The extension can also dramatically cut down the number of cars on regional streets like Leila and Inkster.
Ya with traffic lights.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 3:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Both Leila and Inskter are lined with homes that have been there 60+ years, see both heavy traffic and commercial trucks, both get pounded heavily on roads never designed for that volume of traffic or for the volumes of truck traffic!

Have to agree with you (and bomberJet) on another needless study, seriously does any other city spend the money on repetitive study after study like the city of Winnipeg does!

Money improperly spent, wishy washy planning and gutless politicians afraid to commit to anything is why we have such a shit roadway system in this city!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Ya with traffic lights.
It's not perfect, but it's a reasonable compromise IMO. Money left over for transit

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Money improperly spent, wishy washy planning and gutless politicians afraid to commit to anything is why we have such a shit roadway system in this city!
Probably because property taxes haven't kept up with the cost of infrastructure. Municipal property taxes have increased, on average, 1.9% over the last 30 years, whereas inflation on construction projects (not CPI) averages around 3% per year.

Yeah, most cities would have built the roads already. But in Winnipeg, the tradeoffs for capital projects are quite massive. Build a regional road or fix a dozen community centres and build a couple much-need fire stations? Most cities would be doing all of it, since most cities work to accommodate growth and maintain existing assets. Winnipeg doesn't do well at either of those things, so yeah, blowing through the debt ceiling to extend/widen a regional road or two is going to cause considerable debate at all levels of governance since doing those two projects means not doing a dozen others. Is the trade off worth it? No one really knows.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 4:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
Probably because property taxes haven't kept up with the cost of infrastructure. Municipal property taxes have increased, on average, 1.9% over the last 30 years, whereas inflation on construction projects (not CPI) averages around 3% per year.

Yeah, most cities would have built the roads already. But in Winnipeg, the tradeoffs for capital projects are quite massive. Build a regional road or fix a dozen community centres and build a couple much-need fire stations? Most cities would be doing all of it, since most cities work to accommodate growth and maintain existing assets. Winnipeg doesn't do well at either of those things, so yeah, blowing through the debt ceiling to extend/widen a regional road or two is going to cause considerable debate at all levels of governance since doing those two projects means not doing a dozen others. Is the trade off worth it? No one really knows.
Don't know about you but my city tax bill was up 11% this year. The level of taxation isn't the issue its how it's spent is!

Don't get me started on fire stations as there already are too many as well as too many firefighters, sending a fire truck and five firefighters to a wellness check in order to pad call numbers is a continuing problem that should have been corrected!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 5:02 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:

I just don't get why they need another study. Everything's been studied to death.
I think you said it earlier...the study is to firm up funding requests.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 7:28 PM

Quote:
It's election time. The PC's are promising a lot right now just like the NDP did before tehy lost power.

Why is Chief Peguis under going another design study? It's a cheap way for government to look like they're doing things.
I’m thinking they are going to actually go with limited access freeway status on this new study. The north is growing very fast with housing and industrial. You would be an absolute idiot to have at grade intersections on that stretch.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 8:27 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
I’m thinking they are going to actually go with limited access freeway status on this new study. The north is growing very fast with housing and industrial. You would be an absolute idiot to have at grade intersections on that stretch.
Don't jynx it...
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 5:37 PM

Quote:
I think I'm coming around to the idea of Chief Peguis extension. With continued growth in North Winnipeg, it makes sense to get ahead of the emerging need for an improved road network instead of playing catch-up as Winnipeg typically does.

And yeah, good on Gillingham for actually delivering. I get the impression he has a more serious Mayor's Office with staff who are adept at navigating the corridors of power and getting things done.

There is some of that for sure. But the extension is more or less inevitable and this work will shape whatever eventually gets built even if the timelines are delayed. At least the wheels are turning, so to speak.
His office is filled with a lot of people with deep ties to the PC party, so yeah, they'll be on pretty friendly terms!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Grump View Post
His office is filled with a lot of people with deep ties to the PC party, so yeah, they'll be on pretty friendly terms!
Well, Bowman had ties to the PC Party but it didn't seem to do him much good when it came to getting things done for the City...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Well, Bowman had ties to the PC Party but it didn't seem to do him much good when it came to getting things done for the City...
I mean, he did have Slenderman 'keep money on the kitchen table!' Pallister to deal with, right?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
I seriously doubt that. They're not even going with a freeway on the $500+ million Kenaston project ffs. I really hope you're right. I just have zero belief they will do it.

They didn't even go full grade separation on the BRT project when it is through greenfield on a dedicated corridor!!!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 10:32 PM

Chief Peguis extension will likely follow the Bishop Grandin model - a light every .5 - 1 kilometre or so.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 6:20 AM

Would upgrading Kenaston be worth it?

Someone said that upgrading Kenaston wouldn't really be worth it, but i think the street should be at a highwr standard than it is now

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Chief Peguis extension will likely follow the Bishop Grandin model - a light every .5 - 1 kilometre or so.
https://legacy.winnipeg.ca/PublicWor...t.stm#tab-maps

That link shows the design for CPT with proposed intersections that will be eventually upgraded to interchanges.

It looks like it will be a protected ROW and won't allow for piss poor planning like what happened to Abinojii Mikanah.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan