HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Man View Post
This is a continuing annoyance to me: "There isn't money for rail"

Then I see hundreds of billions spent on warplanes
The military technology that we develop and sell to allies (like the F-35 and more recently the Virginia Class nuclear submarines we're selling to Australia) is a *huge* source of income for the United States, plus it forces our allies to remain our allies because they have to keep paying us to maintain the super-expensive equipment they buy from us.

Ironically, the collapse of the US passenger rail industry in the 1970s left a void that various foreign agents have aimed to fill. For example, the Japanese developed their HSR back in the 1960s with the hope to sell it to foreign buyers. They even funded the effort to bring high speed rail to Ohio in the 1980s.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 9:30 PM
Show me the blueprints

^ And then you have the near total collapse of the domestic rolling stock industry, and the loss of institutional knowledge that represents, all ceded to Europe and Asia, most geopolitical allies except China with the rise of CRRC.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 10:22 PM

I took the Wolverine over to Ann Arbor from Chicago for Thanksgiving. First time experiencing the new Siemens carriages... and I have mixed feelings. On the plus side the automatic doors and general touch-free everything is a good improvement as well as the digital signage and lighting... on the negative side the seats are far less comfortable and narrower. It's not like they are narrower to cram in more seats.. the seating is still 2-2 but with a massive aisle. Presumably for ADA reasons? It seems excessive and I'd rather have an extra inch or two of seat width.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 5:41 PM
Show me the blueprints

Presenting Amtrak Airo

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 6:13 PM

look like twins of VIA's new fleet minus a slightly different front end.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 3:13 PM

Northeast's century-old rail bridges, tunnels land $9 billion overhaul

By Michael Laris and Luz Lazo
Washington Post
22 December 2022

"More than a dozen century-old bridges and tunnels, the creaky backbone of the nation's most important railroad corridor, are set to receive nearly $9 billion in new infrastructure grants, U.S. Department of Transportation officials said this week, marking the biggest step yet to begin overhauling the busy-but-antiquated line running from Washington to Boston.

The projects include the Baltimore & Potomac Tunnel, which opened in 1873, when Ulysses S. Grant was president. The 1.4-mile tunnel is now beset with crumbling brick and sinking floor slabs, leaving Amtrak trains creeping beneath West Baltimore at 30 mph on their way up and down the East Coast.

The list of "major backlog" projects federal officials say they are finally preparing to fund reads like a history of American infrastructure greatness frozen in amber, among them Connecticut's Walk Bridge over the Norwalk River (Grover Cleveland), New Jersey's Sawtooth Bridges between Newark Penn Station and Secaucus Junction (Theodore Roosevelt) and the North River Tunnel beneath the Hudson River (William Howard Taft). All are more than a hundred years old and in desperate need of overhauls..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...oute-overhaul/

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 3:16 PM

I absolutely support this investment Amtrak is making to replace and upgrade bridges and tunnels. I have taken Amtrak several times recently from DC to Bridgeport and one of the things I don't understand is the lengthy time the trains wait at Moynihan train hall while there is a crew train and passengers board. It seems to take 30 - 40 minutes. Amtrak is spending billions of dollars to reduce travel times by a couple of minutes elsewhere along the Northeast corridor but here is an opportunity to reduce trip times by maybe ten minutes at minimal cost.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2022, 8:02 PM

Next big deadline looming for Scranton to New York City train

By Borys Krawczeniuk
Times-Tribune (Scranton, Pa.)
December 26, 2022

"Before construction money flows and the passenger train rolls between Scranton and New York City, the paperwork will pile up and bureaucrats will weigh in.

Eager passenger train advocates received written instructions on beginning the paper trail Dec. 20.

The Federal Railroad Administration issued a notice asking for proposals for the Corridor Identification and Development Program. The railroad agency created the program in May..."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/next-...200900927.html

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 1:45 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

I propose the following restorations alongside improvements to the current corridors in the Northeast / Mid-Atlantic states
  • Electrification of the Southern New England, Empire Networks
  • North-South Tunnel in Boston with an Electrified Regional Extension to Concord, NH and Portland,ME
  • East-West Rail with High Speed bypasses up to 125mph+
  • Upgrade and Grade separate the Connecticut River from New Haven to Brattleboro to 125mph+
  • Split Amtrak Regional with some going via the Shore Line and some via Hartford-Springfield-Worcester
  • Upgrade the Vermonter to 90-110mph, move the terminus to Burlington run a second roundtrip to from Burlington to Boston
  • Restore the Montrealer from DC to Montreal - 1x daily
  • Extend Amtrak Downeaster services to Bangor via Auburn - 3x daily
  • Extend Amtrak Downeaster Service to Rockland,ME - 4x daily
  • Restore the overnight "Gull" train between Boston-Portland-ST. Johns-Halifax - 3x weekly
  • Build the Central Rail Corridor, New London to Brattleboro - 7x daily
  • Run the Berkshires Flyer via the Danbury Branch : NY to Pittsfield - 2x daily seasonal May to October
  • Restore the Amtrak Cape Codder : NY to Hyannis - 3 daily seasonal : Late April to October
  • Build the separate Ethan Allen Corridor from Rutland to Albany via Troy : Burlington to Albany - 2x daily, Burlington to Boston via North Adams/Fitchberg line - 1x daily
  • Upgrade the Adirondack line to 90mph, run one addition service between Plattsburgh and Albany and 2x NY to Fort Edward Empire service roundtrips
  • Run hourly service Empire Service between Buffalo & New York with 6x daily service to Boston via the East-West
  • Restore the Southern Tier Rail Network, upgrading the tracks to 110mph,
  • Amtrak Lackawanna Service - Hoboken - Scranton - Binghamton - Buffalo : 5x daily
  • Amtrak Southern Tier Limited - Hoboken - Scranton - Binghamton - Jamestown - Erie - Cleveland : 1x daily
  • Amtrak Finger Lakes Limited - Hoboken - Scranton - Binghamton - Ithaca - Syracuse - 2x daily
  • Amtrak Erie Limited - Hoboken to Binghamton via the Port Jervis Line to Chicago - 1x daily
  • Build the Amtrak Susquehanna Network, Upgrading the tracks 90-125mph, electrified from Perryville to Harrisburg
  • Amtrak Commonwealth Service - Richmond - DC - Baltimore - Harrisburg : 4x daily
  • Amtrak Susquehanna Service - DC to Wilkes Barre - 3x a day
  • Restore the Amtrak Three Rivers Service : 1x daily : NY - Philly - Harrisburg - Williamsport - Pittsburgh - Youngstown - Cleveland
  • Create a dedicated Passenger Rail corridor alongside the NS Lehigh Line from Harrisburg to NJT Raritan Valley line upgrade the tracks to 110mph, New York - Newark - Allentown - Reading - Harrisburg : 4x daily
  • Restore the Delmarva Express : Philadelphia to Cape Charles with connecting bus service at Salisbury to DC-Annapolis-Ocean City & Ferry Service to Norfolk - 4x daily
  • Upgrade and Separate the Brunswick Line tracks from Freight Service, run an additional roundtrip to Cumberland under the Blue Ridge service

Last edited by Nexis4Jersey; Mar 28, 2023 at 3:16 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 2:05 AM
Show me the blueprints

Holy moly... Haven't seen a post by you in a long time...

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 2:33 AM

Continuing onto Ohio , Mid-Atlantic - NC
  • Make the Trunk Line between Charlotte - Raleigh via the S Line Richmond - DC : 110-125mph separated from Freight as much as possible
  • Upgrade the Western Line to 90mph , and the Norfolk/Newport Lines / New East-West Corridor
  • Restore the Amtrak Mountaineer : Norfolk - Richmond - Charlottesville - Lynchburg - Roanoke - Cincinnati - Indianapolis - Chicago : 1x Daily
  • Restore the Amtrak Hilltopper : Newport News - Richmond - Charlottesville - Lynchburg - Roanoke - Cincinnati - 1x daily
  • New Service : Allegheny Limited : Pittsburgh - Columbus - Cincinnati : 2x daily
  • Move Cleveland Services back to Tower City
  • Restore the Tennessean Train : Chattanooga to DC : 1x daily
  • Make the Piedmont Service - 12x daily - Charlotte - Raleigh , extend branch service : 3x daily to Asheville / 1x daily to Knoxville , Extend 3x daily to Greenville , 1x daily Charlotte to DC Union via Charlottesville & 3x daily Raleigh to Wilmington and 6x daily to Richmond

Last edited by Nexis4Jersey; Jan 5, 2023 at 2:54 AM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Holy moly... Haven't seen a post by you in a long time...
I've been over on reddit

Old Posted Jan 7, 2023, 12:55 AM

Has anyone used the Moynihan Hall Amtrak lounge? I have a free pass and want to see if it is worthwhile arriving early before my next trip to Washington so I can get free breakfast and coffee.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Has anyone used the Moynihan Hall Amtrak lounge? I have a free pass and want to see if it is worthwhile arriving early before my next trip to Washington so I can get free breakfast and coffee.
Go for it , I toured on opening day before they fully stocked it , it was quiet and comfy a break from the overcrowded regular ticketed waiting area.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 1:36 PM

Federal dollars could revive Amtrak rail from Boise to Salt Lake City
Treasure Valley city leaders and stakeholders gathered Thursday to discuss how they can work together to bring Amtrak service back to the area.

By Andrew Baertlein
KTVB
Jan. 12, 2023

"BOISE, Idaho — The federal government earmarked $66 billion to improve train systems across the United States as part of the bipartisan infrastructure act.

The funding includes Amtrak passenger trains and rails; the Treasure Valley has not had a serviced Amtrak rail since 1997. The Boise Metro Chamber (BMC) hosted a discussion panel Thursday for city leaders and business stakeholders to discuss leveraging federal dollar to return Amtrak to and from Salt Lake City.

"I don't think there has been an issue in my 14 years that I've heard more agreement on than this one," BMC President Bill Connors said. "It takes cars off the road. It eases congestion. It does all those things to help the healthy conduct of commerce. That's what we're all about..."

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/lo...1-d565984fc866

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 1:21 AM

They should restore the Pioneer service with 3x daily from SLC to Boise and 1x daily to Portland.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
They should restore the Pioneer service with 3x daily from SLC to Boise and 1x daily to Portland.
are any of these routes outside the NE corridor profitable?

I prefer they bulk up and improve service where there is already ridership (NE corridor) with perhaps sensible additions between potential trunks (Scranton, Allentown, etc).

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 1:10 AM
Show me the blueprints

Is virtually any rail service on earth outside of an extraordinarily small number of high speed routes profitable? Why do we keep equating profit with necessity and benefit? Nearly every key connection made by railways the world over does so at a loss.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 3:35 AM

Also, how much profit have I-5 and I-95 made recently? Tens of billions of dollars of subsidies for roads is perfectly fine but only passenger rail and bike lanes are expected to pay for themselves...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 6:11 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Also, how much profit have I-5 and I-95 made recently? Tens of billions of dollars of subsidies for roads is perfectly fine but only passenger rail and bike lanes are expected to pay for themselves...
Well, parts of I-95 have tolls, and California has very high gas taxes.
Never-the-less, the only taxes freight railroad companies pay are property taxes, and income taxes which they keep as low as possible.

As for benefits to the economy, both locally and nationally, freight rail and freight trucking companies, move goods as well as passengers. Passenger trains mostly do not move goods and their value for increasing the economy is considered overvalued by many. It seems many large cities with little to no intercity trains are doing very well now. Moving goods seems more important to the local economy than moving people by train. The Auto Train charges for moving automobiles as well as for moving people. That's why it performs so well compared to other long distance trains.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation