HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 21, 2023, 1:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I don't care for the sound of a BRT conversion but I'll have to wait and see I suppose.
Nearest I can tell is it is a a reserve lane type of BRT. So, the conversion likely would see the BRT kept till the LRT lines are done, and then convert them back to driving/parking lanes. It isn't the worst idea. It also seems that they have no need for a tunnel for the LRT. That would save them lots. The question is how they would get up and down the mountain for those future lines.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 12:21 PM
gettin' rich!

How is it that the Chinese can build a subway in a couple of years and it gonna end up taking us 20 years to build an LRT line that still sucks.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
How is it that the Chinese can build a subway in a couple of years and it gonna end up taking us 20 years to build an LRT line that still sucks.
Slave labour, no environmental assessments, no requirement to purchase land and compensate landowners (not that there are any of those in China).

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Working under the threat of death. The Government not caring if people live or die during construction. Probably working far more hours a day.

I get your point, most projects in Canada take a stupid long amount of time, and are sometimes poorly built (Confederation Line, Valley Line). Trillium Line, which was basically extending platforms, adding two station to the existing line, one rail overpass and a greenfield extension, was supposed to be done in May 2022 (2 years), but won't open until this fall at the earliest, but it seems like it could be next spring (2 years timeline has become 4 years, all to "upgrade" a single track transit line).

Last edited by J.OT13; May 26, 2023 at 2:08 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 1:49 PM
Community Guy

Still zero indication or update on when the Valley Line LRT will open in Edmonton... 2.5 past the original opening date.

Absurd.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Still zero indication or update on when the Valley Line LRT will open in Edmonton... 2.5 past the original opening date.

Absurd.
That is absurd. I don’t believe there are many tunnel sections where things can really go wrong either. Bad look for whoever is in charge of that project.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 2:23 PM
Community Guy

^The had to redo/repair/replace significant amounts of poured concrete including new rebar and epoxy injections for piers due to cracking, but they continue to be doing system-wide testing which seems to be taking FAR too long and is being paired with additional repairs or corrections on almost a weekly basis.

The private consortium behind it has a progress map that barely has moved in months and the percentage complete has been ~97% for more than a year.

It's a shame that we don't have more accountability or professional media to reveal what's actually happening by way of investigative reporting.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 3:10 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^The had to redo/repair/replace significant amounts of poured concrete including new rebar and epoxy injections for piers due to cracking, but they continue to be doing system-wide testing which seems to be taking FAR too long and is being paired with additional repairs or corrections on almost a weekly basis.

The private consortium behind it has a progress map that barely has moved in months and the percentage complete has been ~97% for more than a year.

It's a shame that we don't have more accountability or professional media to reveal what's actually happening by way of investigative reporting.
Stuck at 97% for a year? They must be updating Windows…

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Stuck at 97% for a year? They must be updating Windows…
I remember Microsoft Minutes(TM).

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 5:04 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Add to that the Green Line in Calgary can’t even make it to the starting gate.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Working under the threat of death. The Government not caring if people live or die during construction. Probably working far more hours a day.

I get your point, most projects in Canada take a stupid long amount of time, and are sometimes poorly built (Confederation Line, Valley Line). Trillium Line, which was basically extending platforms, adding two station to the existing line, one rail overpass and a greenfield extension, was supposed to be done in May 2022 (2 years), but won't open until this fall at the earliest, but it seems like it could be next spring (2 years timeline has become 4 years, all to "upgrade" a single track transit line).
How many Chinese people have died building their rail lines? Pretty serious thing to pose just because of Canada’s inadequacy to build functional transit. Government expropriating land through sheer force on the other hand is a different story.

Maybe them having a billion more people has something to do with it.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 6:26 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
How many Chinese people have died building their rail lines? Pretty serious thing to pose just because of Canada’s inadequacy to build functional transit. Government expropriating land through sheer force on the other hand is a different story.

Maybe them having a billion more people has something to do with it.
I concur. Forcible expropriation is likely. Even lack of workers' safety is likely (as was purported to be the case when China constructed the Hong Kong - Macau bridge in what is effectively an open sea).
Death threat for refusal is something else.

Anyway, I digress.

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 2:47 AM

On to a Canadian transit project that seems to be going well so far, Ottawa's O-Train east extension, which is only about a month or two behind schedule (which is really good considering the labour and material shortage of the last few years).

This is Trim Station, the future east terminus of Line 1 and 3, serving a park and ride, bus transfers, a towers in the park development, beach and francophone trades college (no direct bridge to the station for latter three, but still hoping).

Video Link

And the last two stations of Line 3 in the west, a project that's a little over a year behind due to tunneling challenges. Iris is a suburban station well served by the NCC's MUP network. The other station being Algonquin, an underground (tunnel box built over a decade ago), serving Ottawa's largest college, City services, theatre and library and major bus loop. Possible a transfer to a BRT-Lite, if it's ever built.

Video Link

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 6:11 PM

Three minute video showing progress on Ottawa's Line 2 and 4.

Video Link

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 9:45 PM
Community Guy

The indefinite testing continues...

MXavierL on SRC
https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/f...3#post-1953351

Last edited by Coldrsx; May 31, 2023 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 12:46 PM

There was an open house for Doors Open Ottawa last weekend, and Line 2's Greenboro Station was open to the public, along with one of the new Stadler trains.

For context, Greenboro was the terminus of the line for 20 years, and was upgraded to a fare paid transfer (between the Transitway, built in the early 1990s, and Line 2) a year or two before the Confederation Line opened.

Only upgrades are on the platform, including doubling the length, new lighting and shelters.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 3:24 PM

They have a non-YouTube video as well, for those who follow the link. Looks like the same problematic transit as Ottawa, just fancier on the outside.

Quote:
Alstom, 09 juin 2023
La Ville de Québec et Alstom dévoilent le design du tramway

https://www.alstom.com/fr/press-rele...ign-du-tramway

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 12:18 AM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Add to that the Green Line in Calgary can’t even make it to the starting gate.
Have utility relocates not even started for it yet?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 1:07 AM

ALSTOM - Québec City's Tramway design

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 11:07 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Have utility relocates not even started for it yet?
Yes, that work has been happening for a while now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada