HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 2:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingDuck View Post
I'm struggling to think of a single part of Winnipeg that looks anything even remotely close to an actual war zone. I get that rubble from fires doesn't look great but c'mon it's not comparable at all to cities that have endured months of artillery strikes and urban warfare....
Wow, lighten up there snowflake, the word sarcasm seems foreign to you!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 4:24 AM

Didn't mean to sound like a triggered woke lib, I just get irked by comments that seem to trivialize legitimate human tragedy happing elsewhere

I seem to recall that the city was trying to pass a motion or a bylaw that would give them the power to do exactly what was suggested: if the rubble/debris/junk etc is not cleaned up within x number of days, the city will do it and bill the property owner.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Didn't mean to sound like a triggered woke lib, I just get irked by comments that seem to trivialize legitimate human tragedy happing elsewhere

I seem to recall that the city was trying to pass a motion or a bylaw that would give them the power to do exactly what was suggested: if the rubble/debris/junk etc is not cleaned up within x number of days, the city will do it and bill the property owner.
I don't think you have anything to apologize for, you just countered some typically hysterical hyperbole from a notorious poster here with a sensible observation.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 3:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:

That's all our civic politicians do, pay lip service and then forget about it.

Drive down, William, Main St., Disraeli and see the piles of rubble from burned out buildings sitting there for months...makes the city look war torn or third world, if you can't see that you're blind!

I'm guessing the apologists don't live in either NE or NW Winnipeg and can somehow conveniently ignore the issue!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 1:07 PM

A new bylaw mandating demolished home / building debris be removed in 90 days is a vital step towards helping communities. Not only does it visually impact a neighborhood, it truly may become a catalyst towards new construction.

Removal including foundation on a typical inner city property is in the range of 20k +/-. If added to the tax bill with payment due immediately, it creates a situation the owner needs to address. I believe this added cost in many instances will motivate the sale of the lot or retention by the City for the unpaid taxes. A strategic and subsidized relationship with a “Habitat for Humanity” could clear up this issues in short order while offering hope and a future for families.

I’m very in favour of pushing this through and creating sensitive and affordable inner city infill…

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
That's all our civic politicians do, pay lip service and then forget about it.

Drive down, William, Main St., Disraeli and see the piles of rubble from burned out buildings sitting there for months...makes the city look war torn or third world, if you can't see that you're blind!

I'm guessing the apologists don't live in either NE or NW Winnipeg and can somehow conveniently ignore the issue!
I believe those burned out ones on main are held up because of insurance. Which does happen. Heck in my well to do area a house burned and it too two fkn years for insurance to settle.

But seriously what's the rush for more wasteland parking lots on main lol.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 8:40 PM
BANNED

So another serious assault leaving a teen in critical condition after leaving a concert in our meth ravaged downtown!

Explain how anyone would actually choose or prefer to live downtown again?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
So another serious assault leaving a teen in critical condition after leaving a concert in our meth ravaged downtown!

Explain how anyone would actually choose or prefer to live downtown again?
Try and correct you please. This was a rap concert. Have you ever been to one ? Have you seen all the wannabes gangstas that go to them? Probably not. This was just another stupid gang related dick measurement. And an innocent person ( from what we know ) got critically injured.

Meth all over downtown???? Again do you know anything about the substance? Do you know where it prevails? Do you ever even go downtown or do you just spout nonsense like always?

Funny I just went to a concert last night. Walked many blocks and didn't see one meth addict. However when I go back to the burbs I passed many encampments where meth does find it's home.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2023, 2:13 PM

How has the air quality been in Winnipeg this weekend? I'm literally at ground zero working 4 hoursNW of Edmonton. They have 200 firefighters battling small blazes. Many Americans and Auussies here.

The bad news is it's going to be like this all summer.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2023, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
How has the air quality been in Winnipeg this weekend? I'm literally at ground zero working 4 hoursNW of Edmonton. They have 200 firefighters battling small blazes. Many Americans and Auussies here.

The bad news is it's going to be like this all summer.
Kind of off and on... it can be clear one hour, then the wind shifts and smoke blows in. But decent for the most part. I don't recall seeing a lot of the thick smoke that we saw in 2021, for instance.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 10:19 PM

Heard the Sea Bears game is sold out. Apparently Sunday's game is also nearly sold out as well. The team is fighting for first in their division.

What a success story in its first season - both on and off the court! Winnipeg Valour please take note!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 10:33 PM

Yea I’m going to my first game tonight and was shocked how few tickets were left. Great sign for the franchise and basketball fans such as myself too see Winnipeg can support the team. Not shocked though considering how big sports culture is here.

Keep the SeaBears in Canada Life because it helps keep Downtown more lively in the summer while the Jets are in off-season mode. Especially since the games are actually affordable and BBall is an urban sport so the target demo is a lot younger and more diverse then Jets games. Especially on Friday nights where there’s going to be a lot of bar and club hopping

On another note, is it just me or has Winnipeg, especially DT been more vibrant this summer compared to the last few years?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 11:26 PM

I don't get why the Sea Bears cap attendance at 5,500 or whatever given that the demand is clearly there. Why not fill up the lower bowl like at the home opener? That was the one game where did that.

Anyway, yes, the Sea Bears are a really well run team. They provide a great game experience. The team is really good too. There is clearly an appetite for basketball in Winnipeg. I'll be at the game on Sunday, it will be my third one of the season.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 2:59 PM

The Port of Churchill received its first cruise ship in over a decade on the weekend...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...nomy-1.6908438

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 3:05 PM

The northern supply ship is big news too. Supplying northern communities by sea from Montreal doesn't make a lot of sense now that the railway to Churchill is back in action. Departing from Churchill to the Northwest passage must cut close to 2,500km off of the 1-way trip when compared to Montreal

Old Posted Aug 11, 2023, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Yea I’m going to my first game tonight and was shocked how few tickets were left. Great sign for the franchise and basketball fans such as myself too see Winnipeg can support the team. Not shocked though considering how big sports culture is here.

Keep the SeaBears in Canada Life because it helps keep Downtown more lively in the summer while the Jets are in off-season mode. Especially since the games are actually affordable and BBall is an urban sport so the target demo is a lot younger and more diverse then Jets games. Especially on Friday nights where there’s going to be a lot of bar and club hopping

On another note, is it just me or has Winnipeg, especially DT been more vibrant this summer compared to the last few years?
30 years ago, Winnipeg really got behind the Thunder when they played in 1992. Attendance was the best in the league. Unfortunately, the league folded before the playoffs began. Winnipeggers soured on pro basketball for a time.

However, now it is back, and everyone loves it.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 1:11 PM
Mooderator

Coming to Winnipeg today. Fathers lock up your daughters.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 2:17 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Coming to Winnipeg today. Fathers lock up your daughters.
Business or pleasure?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 7:18 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Business or pleasure?
All pleasure this time.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 3:01 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
All pleasure this time.
quik someone smash a bottle of club over his head

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan