HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 6:22 PM

For the record, I'm in that weird no-man's land where I'm technically gen X but effectively stuck in between gen X and millennials. But the older I get, the less that distinction seems to matter

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 9:14 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
For the record, I'm in that weird no-man's land where I'm technically gen X but effectively stuck in between gen X and millennials. But the older I get, the less that distinction seems to matter
esquire, that's Xennial

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 2:39 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Hey now, I'm at the beginning of the Millennials
Aren't you guys Gen X?
Damn, imagine being born in 1981 and being labelled a 'millennial'.

If it were up to me, I think I'd cut it off at 'after the Simpsons became famous'.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2023, 1:19 AM

The town of Margrave, Ontario. Sorry, I mean fictional town of Margrave, Georgia. I mean, made up set in rural Pickering.

When I passed through Port Perry last year, I was wondering why I didn’t see the statue in the middle that you would often see in Reacher season 1. So they film some of it in a real town and other parts in a fake town. Only found that out today.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...er-1235128706/

https://www.atlasofwonders.com/2022/...e-georgia.html

https://downtownsofdurham.ca/downtowns/port-perry/

Old Posted Aug 11, 2023, 10:30 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Carleton Place

Carleton Place,Ontario,Canada
by sonicgregu, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 12, 2023, 2:03 AM
recession proof

^27 May it was a very hot Saturday afternoon and I found myself in Carleton Place looking for some shade.

Found some in the library parking lot behind the main drag, looking at Zion Memorial United Church
https://imgur.com/a/ZuVsi50

The main street strip was redone last August, but I think it needs more greenery/shade
https://imgur.com/a/1opdVVs

https://imgur.com/a/esaADF7

Then I discovered the best spot along the waterfront at Riverside Park. (Earlier I baked in the sun at Centennial Park, after driving into the countryside along Quarry Road.)
https://imgur.com/a/kVmc5WT

Old Posted Aug 12, 2023, 2:18 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Damn, imagine being born in 1981 and being labelled a 'millennial'.

If it were up to me, I think I'd cut it off at 'after the Simpsons became famous'.
Well I did graduate HS in 2000 aka the millennium.
(No one remembers OAC/Grade 13 in Ontario?)

Old Posted Aug 12, 2023, 2:40 AM
recession proof

I was an Honours OAC student, 93% average. 1995. There was Basic, General, Advanced and Enriched. The funny thing is mostly the General students came out furthest ahead, aside from the rich kids. They started sheet metal/contracting/farming businesses and have become very wealthy. The girls tended to marry younger, and now looking back unable to have children, I view those with 3+ kids as the biggest winners vs the highly educated Advanced stream who if lucky, married at 38-40 and have 1 kid.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2023, 4:20 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Well I did graduate HS in 2000 aka the millennium.
(No one remembers OAC/Grade 13 in Ontario?)
I had that. Graduated "Class of 1988" but then had a year from 1988-89 when I took OAC courses, before enrolling in university in fall of 1989.

All those years ago... (yeah, a bit before that time as I was more of an '80s music lover, but it fits)

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 12, 2023, 4:27 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
I was an Honours OAC student, 93% average. 1995. There was Basic, General, Advanced and Enriched. The funny thing is mostly the General students came out furthest ahead, aside from the rich kids. They started sheet metal/contracting/farming businesses and have become very wealthy. The girls tended to marry younger, and now looking back unable to have children, I view those with 3+ kids as the biggest winners vs the highly educated Advanced stream who if lucky, married at 38-40 and have 1 kid.
Everyone has a story. And that story worked out the way it did for all. No winners, no lucky ones... we're all just living with what's happened, according to the decisions we made and how things have played out.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2023, 6:08 PM
sick transit, gloria

I have quite a few friends from The Valley and have hazy memories of a very drunken night in Carleton Place where my friend (from there) got us kicked out of the “sketchy bar” downtown. There’s a bit of a rivalry between Carleton Place and Almonte - the latter is much nicer IMO though, and has had a weirdly good music/arts scene for its size. CP suffers from excessive big box development.

Tying it back to OAC, my friend from CP got me a fake ID in first year university - the address was from there. As I didn’t have OAC in Alberta I was a year younger than most of my university friends who were the last year of OAC and could go to bars.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2023, 8:02 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Everyone has a story. And that story worked out the way it did for all. No winners, no lucky ones... we're all just living with what's happened, according to the decisions we made and how things have played out.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
Agreed. No time for sour grapes in the 2020s, particularly if one grew up White and middle class in Canada.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2023, 4:22 AM
recession proof

I grew up poor. My father retired at 50 and spent the rest of his life reading 5000 books....

Now I'm poor, with some undesirable genetics.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2023, 4:30 PM
Great White Norf

The Canadian subforum Eeyore

Old Posted Aug 13, 2023, 5:38 PM
recession proof

^He certainly was the character I most identified with when I read Winnie the Pooh as an 8 year old. Because we didn't have TV (and I still don't have it as I find it loud & one dimensional), the cartoon/TV version means nothing to me.

Anyway, turns out most of my lifelong depression was caused by a recently diagnosed genetic disorder, not necessarily poverty. I can happily live on less than $20k income.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2023, 7:52 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
^He certainly was the character I most identified with when I read Winnie the Pooh as an 8 year old. Because we didn't have TV (and I still don't have it as I find it loud & one dimensional), the cartoon/TV version means nothing to me.

Anyway, turns out most of my lifelong depression was caused by a recently diagnosed genetic disorder, not necessarily poverty. I can happily live on less than $20k income.
I'm sorry to hear about your problems/health issues. You've just come across as a Debbie Downer mixed with sometimes elitist, ultra opinionated fellow.
It can't be easy to have multiple health issues.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2023, 8:06 PM

Rose Blanche, Newfoundland

Old Posted Aug 13, 2023, 8:09 PM
Great White Norf

NFLD is so charming. That's a beautiful stone lighthouse

Old Posted Aug 13, 2023, 9:36 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:

Great that you have a diagnosis! And money is important, but only to a point. The more I have, the more I seem to have issues managing it! (maybe getting separated isn't something to do once more )

I have been like Eeyore at times as well. I get it. I'm not sure if there are genetic reasons (alcoholism does run in both of my parents' family lines... as a response to underlying issues, I think). Hopefully in your case there will be a treatment plan.

If you like to read, the Tao of Pooh and Te of Piglet are recommended by me. For no particular reason other than they came to mind when the Eeyore reference was noted.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2023, 10:44 PM
recession proof

I believe I was given Tao of Pooh as a teenager but, can't remember if I read it all.

Last edited by urbandreamer; Aug 14, 2023 at 3:15 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada