HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
And that's all she wrote. Winnipegs best players are going to turn pro next year, and the ICE will most likely revert to being a mediocre team, before moving back to BC in 2024.
Benson and Hauser will be back next year, and I would not be the least bit surprised if Geekie and Savoie came back next season. The only real trouble spot IMO will be defense if Lambos goes to the AHL next season and Zloty ages out.

I wouldn't expect the ICE to hit the 57 win mark again, but they will definitely have the makings of a playoff team IMO.

And where are they moving to in BC? Chilliwack has stridently denied it (the BCHL team controls the arena) and they wouldn't be welcome back in Cranbrook. Nanaimo doesn't have a new arena and Penticton is happy with the current setup having a longstanding BCHL team in town. It doesn't sound like many places in BC are chomping at the bit to have the ICE move in.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 7:48 PM

sounds like more and more, the Ice are done in Winnipeg. latest rumour has NHL Vancouver Canucks & AHL Abbotsford (Aquilini family) involved and moving them somewhere in BC. many small towns have BCHL teams so there will be competition as many of those draw 2500++ fans

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
sounds like more and more, the Ice are done in Winnipeg. latest rumour has NHL Vancouver Canucks & AHL Abbotsford (Aquilini family) involved and moving them somewhere in BC. many small towns have BCHL teams so there will be competition as many of those draw 2500++ fans
It's June, it seems very unlikely to me at this point that the ICE are moving now and voluntarily starting over somewhere else just a few months before training camp starts. For next season, at least... beyond that, who knows.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 8:09 PM

Chilliwack Ice sounds like

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 8:11 PM

^ According to who?

The only source I can find for this is a Vancouver radio guy discussing a rumour, not any sort of actual reports.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 9:16 PM

Dhaliwal is pretty respected and reliable he's not a Rod Pedersen type.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 9:26 PM
surely you agree with me

didnt they already announce they are staying next year?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
didnt they already announce they are staying next year?
They never formally announced that they were staying per se, just that a move hasn't been announced, and it's June already. Seems very unlikely that the team would move at this point unless the team was facing an Atlanta situation, i.e., arena ownership is kicking them out. And there is no reason to believe that is happening.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 9:55 PM

I am doubtful ice leave this summer much more likely next year. I am not sure 24-7 even talked to any RMs about the arena as RM of macdonald said they bowed out of McGillvary site with no explanation.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I am doubtful ice leave this summer much more likely next year. I am not sure 24-7 even talked to any RMs about the arena as RM of macdonald said they bowed out of McGillvary site with no explanation.
ICE ownership bowed out after they had a falling out with the gang that owns The Rink. Once that relationship broke down there was no longer any interest in pursuing what was not really a great arena location to begin with.

The situation betwen the parties doesn't seem to be improving... late in the season, ICE ownership moved their MJHL team playing there to the Iceplex. Somewhat awkwardly, the ICE still use The Rink and they have a fairly extensive clubhouse facility in that building. I'd imagine that duplicating it all somewhere else would easily cost into the six figures, there is a NHL calibre dressing room in there. I don't know who in the hell would use all that space if the ICE leave town, it would make one fantastic facility for a MJHL team if the Blues ever go back there someday.

This is the ICE's dressing room at The Rink, but this just a small part of the overall clubhouse facility:

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 4:40 PM

WHL Wpg Ice sold to Wenatchee Washington. They already have a BCHL team so not sure if they folding them.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 4:45 PM

Not sure what the whole point of the ice being here was if 24-7 was this inept at getting an arena deal before buying them. Hockey market was oversaturated oh well too bad.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 4:54 PM

What a total botch fest by everyone, Fettes/Cockell, Robison and the WHL. And starting a move into a small market three months before the regular season starts seems like a recipe for another mess in Wenatchee. Good luck to them, they're going to need it.

I wonder what this means for Fettes/Cockell's two MJHL teams? And what is The Rink going to do with their WHL team facility that no longer houses a WHL team?

I guess at least the Bisons can be happy with all the improvements they got to Wayne Fleming Arena from this short lived arrangement.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 5:15 PM

Classic Winnipeg

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 6:34 PM

Well I guess they won't need a new broadcaster!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 7:26 PM

Between the loss of Jets 1.0, the current drama with Jets 2.0, and now the loss of the ICE, I think that to be a hockey fan in Winnipeg is to know bitter disappointment and loss.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 10:02 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Between the loss of Jets 1.0, the current drama with Jets 2.0, and now the loss of the ICE, I think that to be a hockey fan in Winnipeg is to know bitter disappointment and loss.
I gotta say, we are heavily involved in the hockey community and enjoyed having the Ice in town. My kids liked going to games. Having said that, I don't believe this will really move the needle much in the city. After only being in town for 4 years I think the number of people that truly cared about the team was fairly small.

I am disappointed they are leaving, but in reality the bulk of my time is invested in my sons hockey so I don't find it as a major loss.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Last edited by Biff; Jun 17, 2023 at 3:26 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
If it makes you feel any better, the Jets are staying put.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
If it makes you feel any better, the Jets are staying put.
Great. But after several disappointing seasons, their biggest name players now want out.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 11:14 PM

Shit ownership likely looking for a major government handout for a new arena and not gaining any traction probably led to the team's relocation. It's too bad as it was possible the ICE may have been able to develop a decent niche following capable of averaging 3,000 or so per game.

24-7 real looks bad. First pulling the carpet out from under Cranbrook relocating the team here shortly after taking over the reigns...but without a concrete plan in place for financing a new arena. Then selling the team 4 seasons later with the subsequent relocation to Washington and less than 3 months before the 2023/24 season begins.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan