HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
Pretty crazy how brazen people on this forum are getting with calling people racist as if there's no ramifications for those accusations in a public domain.

Personally I think it takes away from the seriousness of the issue when any discussion with any kind of racial context quickly devolves into name-calling and insults. Where is the civility - on both sides?
As someone who has been guilty of a certain degree of hyperbole, it can get tough to keep control about one's emotions when reading what seem like outrageous comments about serious issues. I've had to step away from this forum for several days to let myself get cooled down and re-focused.

I think what we're seeing is a display of the "rage culture" ( my term, patent pending) that we see growing in so many places. People have access to an incredible amount of blather about things that make them furious, and it can be difficult to turn away from it. They start to exist in a permanent state of "fight or flight" (not my idea, swiped from someone else), where they take on the characteristics they think they need to "survive", and end up lashing out whenever prodded. The name calling and insults just seem to be an inevitable part of that process, especially when subtleties in a persons arguments can get lost so easily in a forum like this.

Personally I've tried to take more of a cue from posters like Biff and True Viking (not trying to suck up). They make their point then disappear until there is something else to discuss, like a new development.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 9:38 PM
jammon member

I wholeheartedly agree. It's also very easy to take something- an opinion or statement out of context. I was lambasted a while back by a forumer on here for generalizing the Indigenous population in a certain way, which was not my intent. It came from my experience of working in inner-city schools and what I noted from my career of working with Indigenous people in the context from where I have worked and my training in my field.

I think if we all just try to be a little more supportive and understanding of where we each come from and try to shy away from this "right or wrong" dialogue, we probably can all learn something from each other. I know I have sat back and thought a lot about some of the opinions and discourse over my years of being on this forum.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 9:58 PM
There is always a way

This unfortunately is the reality of online discussion. A lot harder to say things to another person’s face. Being in the room with the person you’re arguing with has a civilizing effect on the tone of the discussion.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
10 years ago, neither did the UCP.
Their antecedents held every seat in the city but 3 that elected Liberals in the 2012 vote. 8 of those seats voted 80% plus for PC/Wildrose as recently as 2012. The UCP only got close to 70% in a couple Southeast Calgary ridings.

The UCP or whatever the conservatives call themselves in Alberta are facing a significant demographic challenge in Edmonton and Calgary, particularly if they are locked into two party races.

If the Manitoba election splits urban/rural as severely as Alberta did the PC's would get skunked.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
Their antecedents held every seat in the city but 3 that elected Liberals in the 2012 vote. 8 of those seats voted 80% plus for PC/Wildrose as recently as 2012. The UCP only got close to 70% in a couple Southeast Calgary ridings.

The UCP or whatever the conservatives call themselves in Alberta are facing a significant demographic challenge in Edmonton and Calgary, particularly if they are locked into two party races.

If the Manitoba election splits urban/rural as severely as Alberta did the PC's would get skunked.
The UCP is pretty much the Wildrose Party. Internally, all the old Progressive Conservatives, or anyone who held views closer to the centre, fell by the wayside. When the two parties merged, it was dominated by members more in line with the far-right Wildrose Party.

"Take Back Alberta" is definitely far-right (and the closest special interest group in Canada to the GOP), helped dispose Kenney for Danielle Smith, who does their bidding. Many former Progressive Conservatives have left the party, and a significant minority even voted NDP.

This leads me to believe that the NDP may try to take a cue from the UCP, and move further towards the centre of the political spectrum, and change their name, in order to possibly entice the most left-leaning conservatives. "Democratic Party of Alberta" has a certain ring to it.

If we really look at it, metro Winnipeg makes up approximately 62% of the provincial population. In Alberta, Metro Edmonton and Calgary combined make up 65% of the provinceial population. The difference is Edmonton and Winnipeg have far more in common than Calgary and Winnipeg. Edmonton is the provincial capital, is working class, tends to be the most progressive area of the province, and the demographics are similar (Ukrainians, Indigenous, Filipinos, etc). Areas of Calgary (especially southern Calgary) tend to be more right wing, and it shows. Calgary is also more divided. Muslims and Hindus are concentrated predominantly in the NE, Chinese are mainly in the North, especially along Centre Street N. Indigenous people and Africans are found in the city centre or Forest Lawn. White people tend to flock to the south and west.

Last edited by BlackDog204; May 31, 2023 at 11:18 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audie View Post
Gordon only won by ~500 votes. Even though I'm almost certain he can't win, I think Robert-Falcon Oullette has enough name recognition to credibly split the ABC vote and send Gordon back to the Legislature
I like that plan!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 11:50 AM

Remember that one convo where we were talking about kids not having adequate lunches?

Well looks like the NDP agrees with me since they want to expand the school meal program quite drastically. A necessary measure for a province with so many people not being served adequate nutrition through their growing years.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...eech-1.6872683

With this and their policies regarding homelessness and health care, it only helps further justify my support for them in the next election. I’ve really tried to consider the conservatives viewpoints but with the direction of Manitoba the last 8 years, I just don’t think they care about my vote (or anyone under 40 for that matter).

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 2:21 PM

^^ I was happy to read about this; a good decision IMO. My friends who are/were teachers often spoke of the difficulties in teaching students who lacked proper nutrition, and this should help those people.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 1:42 PM

100% support more funding for school nutricion! I do have an issue with the terminology that it will be in "every school". Balmoral Hall, St. John's Ravenscourt, many suburban affluent neighbourhood schools will be included?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
100% support more funding for school nutricion! I do have an issue with the terminology that it will be in "every school". Balmoral Hall, St. John's Ravenscourt, many suburban affluent neighbourhood schools will be included?
I assume it means public schools, but to play devil's advocate, is it really going to break the budget of this whole thing if a few private schools are included that are probably no more than a few per cent of the entire student population of Manitoba?

As for the suburbs, even though Winnipeg is becoming increasingly stratified by wealth we are not quite like the US yet where there are neighbourhoods that are totally enclaves of wealth. Nearly every school catchment area includes at least some pockets of basic apartments, working class SFHs, public housing. For instance, Tuxedo is a wealthy part of town but their school captures some of the Manitoba Housing nearby, etc.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I assume it means public schools, but to play devil's advocate, is it really going to break the budget of this whole thing if a few private schools are included that are probably no more than a few per cent of the entire student population of Manitoba?

As for the suburbs, even though Winnipeg is becoming increasingly stratified by wealth we are not quite like the US yet where there are neighbourhoods that are totally enclaves of wealth. Nearly every school catchment area includes at least some pockets of basic apartments, working class SFHs, public housing. For instance, Tuxedo is a wealthy part of town but their school captures some of the Manitoba Housing nearby, etc.
good points Esquire

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 10:02 PM

Quote:
It will be public schools.

Neighborhood doesn't really matter. There's poverty everywhere. Tuxedo has the third largest Manitoba Housing development in the city blocks away from some of the most valuable properties in the province. Fort Rouge is very similar in terms of having some of the most valuable homes steps away from abject poverty.

There will likely be some differentiation school by school, division by division based upon uptake. A lot of divisions are offering breakfast and lunch outside of what is funded by the province currently. A start will be to cover those costs so divisions can spend their funding on education and stop chasing grants for food as well.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 12:55 PM

Portage La Prairie getting new $455 million dollar hospital for a town of 13000 people and South Winnipeg still has no ER even though its the fastest growing part of the city. Come on man ugh PCs.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Portage La Prairie getting new $455 million dollar hospital for a town of 13000 people and South Winnipeg still has no ER even though its the fastest growing part of the city. Come on man ugh PCs.
What do you need an ER for? heart attack or amputation, then call 911 and paramedics will serve you way better than driving to a ER 10 minutes away from you.

South Wpg has Vic urgent care. I've been there for a fairly major skate blade cut (not me but kid friend) and wife been there for gall bladder issue, mother in law been there for issues. Urgent care is pretty well a ER FYI.

Portage is 13000 but surrounding area (30 min) is much more

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 1:23 PM

Quote:
What do you need an ER for? heart attack or amputation, then call 911 and paramedics will serve you way better than driving to a ER 10 minutes away from you.

South Wpg has Vic urgent care. I've been there for a fairly major skate blade cut (not me but kid friend) and wife been there for gall bladder issue, mother in law been there for issues. Urgent care is pretty well a ER FYI.

Portage is 13000 but surrounding area (30 min) is much more
I have had strangulation of intestine and hernia both times waited 29 hours for a bed while in er at st b and grace. Keep drinking your pc kool aid there wags.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 3:17 PM

Quote:
I have had strangulation of intestine and hernia both times waited 29 hours for a bed while in er at st b and grace. Keep drinking your pc kool aid there wags.
Think you're just proving his point. The location of the ER would matter nothing in your case.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 3:19 PM

It does matter having just 3 ers for a city of 900 k and growing is too few. Also because of all the health emergencies in the core area every day it clogs up tons of hospital space for suburban patients when they would prefer to just go to their own local hospital.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 3:43 PM

https://angusreid.org/manitoba-2023-...ervatives-ndp/

Poor ratings on cost of living and health care have PCs trailing NDP by five-points (44%-39%)

June 13, 2023 – A long hot summer lies ahead in Canada’s prairies but when temperatures begin to fall Manitoba will likely head into a September election campaign.

With an election pencilled in for Oct. 3, new data from the non-profit Angus Reid Institute finds the New Democratic Party of Manitoba holding a five-point advantage provincewide and a key, substantial lead in Winnipeg over the Progressive Conservative Party of Manitoba.

If an election were held tomorrow, 44 per cent of Manitobans say they would vote for the provincial New Democratic candidate in their riding, compared to 39 per cent who would support the incumbent Progressive Conservatives led by Heather Stefanson. Wab Kinew’s NDP hold a 25-point advantage in Winnipeg, garnering more than half of the intended vote (54%) compared to 29 per cent for the PCPM. Winnipeg is home to 32 of the 57 seats in the provincial legislature. The Conservatives are strong in the less populated and less seat-rich regions outside of Winnipeg, holding a 56 per cent to 28 per cent lead

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 3:45 PM

Quote:
It does matter having just 3 ers for a city of 900 k and growing is too few. Also because of all the health emergencies in the core area every day it clogs up tons of hospital space for suburban patients when they would prefer to just go to their own local hospital.
Calgary has 4 ERs for nearly double the population.

It's more about how big and well staffed the ERs are than the number that you have. I'd argue that we weren't better off when we had a bunch of half-assed ERs at community hospitals to go with the two and a half legit ones that have been there all along.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 5:22 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Calgary has 4 ERs for nearly double the population.

It's more about how big and well staffed the ERs are than the number that you have. I'd argue that we weren't better off when we had a bunch of half-assed ERs at community hospitals to go with the two and a half legit ones that have been there all along.
It's partially that- it's also about the model of care that is utilized. I think the ERs should staff more NPs and PAs to deal with the simpler stuff so it frees up the ER/Urgent care docs to deal with the serious stuff. I was at the Vic in March for low potassium and I waited 9 hours between triage and admission to see a Doc. That could have easily been handled by a NP or PA.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan