HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
The number of people who commute from Philadelphia to New York was provided by the US Census, which has the best tracks on this regard. In fact, they organize MSAs and CSAs based on it. It’s not like they made things up.

Brazilian numbers were also provided by the 2010 Census and we can cross data for any given Brazilian municipality or a group of them (“populational arrangements”, aka metro areas).

If US Census Bureau, for some reason, undercounts NYC-PHD commute rates. IBGE could have done the same for Campinas-São Paulo.

There are 1.6 million people in Philadelphia, a very urban place for US standards and which is itself a major labour market. Given NYC is 150 km away, I fail to see how way more than 1,500 Philadelphians go to work in NYC (and let’s assume 500 New Yorkers do the opposite to the grand total of 2,000).
It's a very urban place by Brazil's standards too. At 6.2 million people, it would be the third largest metro if it were in Brazil. But anyway, we're not talking about people who commute from Philadelphia to New York for work. We're talking about the easy of travel between the two cities.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 7:35 PM

I meant “urban” in a way Philadelphia (city proper) is dense and therefore people are probably less prone to make super commutes in comparison to suburbs or other more car centric metro areas.

Regarding travel, if it’s easy enough, higher commute levels will emerge. The two things are linked.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2022, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
New York and Philadelphia have two of the best transit systems in North America and they are 90 miles apart. There is no way that L.A. and San Diego even remotely compare in terms of non-private auto connectivity.
I too think they are the best, but my point was moreso to illuminate that New York and Philly aren't unique in terms of having strong transit connectivity as other regions in this country.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2022, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
That's absolutely not true. Even NY-Lakewood has far more than 54 buses.

Looking at Google search, they aren't even tracking private lines. The service is overwhelmingly private lines. Intercity/commuter bus service in the tri-state is private, for-profit.
Pretty sure Flix Bus is a private operator. In any case, feel free to provide tangible evidence disproving my claim. I'm more than happy to be proven wrong: https://imgur.com/a/aK2vN3Y

Quote:
I'd bet no, as I-5 is four lanes in each direction for most of the route, and once you get around Camp Pendleton, there isn't much. But yeah, auto traffic would at least be comparable. I could see semi similar-numbers.
It's more like 8 net lanes in each direction, since you are forgetting the I-15 which connects the Inland Empire part of the LA Metro to San Diego. Eventually to be widened to 12 net lanes in each direction once San Diego completes its plan to extend 2 net lanes of Express Lanes in each direction along the I-5 and I-15.

Also, it is clear you have not driven around this area, at least recently. The Camp Pendleton stretch of the I-5 is consistently among the most bottlenecked portion of the freeway between Orange County and central SD, and arguably between LA and SD too. At least with other freeways in SoCal, I can expect to at least move 5-10 mph sluggishly during rush hour. When driving down to SD along the I-5, Camp Pendleton is the only stretch where I and several of thousands of other motorists are simply stopped, due to how much traffic there is relative to the road. I-15 also gets pretty bad especially during rush hour.

Ultimately, I never said that NY and Philly don't have deep transport links, but to pretend as if other major regions like SoCal, who in your words "have almost no bus/rail service", is quite laugable. This "single-track railway by the beach" is able handle ~25 daily services between LA and SD (around over 30/day pre-pandemic), in a region that is renown for being a car capital of the world.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2022, 5:53 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
The number of people who commute from Philadelphia to New York was provided by the US Census, which has the best tracks on this regard. In fact, they organize MSAs and CSAs based on it. It’s not like they made things up.
But it's not actually the best if it is only capturing one way to get there and via bus, which is not the way most people travel from Philly to NYC for commuting because a bus gets stuck in the same traffic. I know that it's anecdotal but all of the people that I know who live here and work in NYC take the train.

Quote:
There are 1.6 million people in Philadelphia, a very urban place for US standards and which is itself a major labour market. Given NYC is 150 km away, I fail to see how way more than 1,500 Philadelphians go to work in NYC (and let’s assume 500 New Yorkers do the opposite to the grand total of 2,000).
Then you are failing to see how much things have changed since 2010 and a large influx of NYCers moved to Philly with many keeping their jobs in NYC. I am not claiming it's going to be an astronomical jump but I do stand behind that it is now far more than 1500.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2022, 6:09 PM

[QUOTE=EastSideHBG;9721504]But it's not actually the best if it is only capturing one way to get there and via bus, which is not the way most people travel from Philly to NYC for commuting because a bus gets stuck in the same traffic. I know that it's anecdotal but all of the people that I know who live here and work in NYC take the train.

But the US Census doesn't consider buses only. They measure commute regardless the mean used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Then you are failing to see how much things have changed since 2010 and a large influx of NYCers moved to Philly with many keeping their jobs in NYC. I am not claiming it's going to be an astronomical jump but I do stand behind that it is now far more than 1500.
Let's wait for the US Census Bureau to release the 2020 figures. And I bet things also grew elsewhere, including in São Paulo-Campinas.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2022, 6:33 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
But the US Census doesn't consider buses only. They measure commute regardless the mean used.
I thought that I had read somewhere that this figure mostly captured our Philly to NYC bus commuters? I will dig around to see if I can find a source but I was able to locate this from 2016 that touches on bus commuters:

https://www.villagevoice.com/2016/10...ghly%201%2C500.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2022, 7:42 PM

Quote:
I don't quite agree with this framing. NYC and Chicago, yes. They have been in the top 3 for 130 years. But L.A. didn't officially join the top 3 until the 1950s. There are many people still alive today that were breathing before L.A. became a top 3 city. A few are still around that witnessed it leap into the top 5.

Another interesting thing to note is that L.A. has occupied the #2 slot for about as long as Chicago did. Philadelphia held the #2 slot far longer, and I don't think there's an immediate threat to L.A., but if history holds then we might have a new #2 within the next 2-3 decades.

source: https://www.peakbagger.com/pbgeog/histmetropop.aspx
While interesting Boston seems a little low.....Combined it is larger than Dallas

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 6:27 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Going back to the thread title, I think these two satellite images are interesting for showing why I think that making apples to apples comparisons at the CSA level can sometimes be hard to do.

Chicagoland is clearly a single urban entity.

Washington-Baltimore is a different kind of two-headed urban animal.

Source: https://www.metroplanning.org/news/6...egy-for-growth

Source: https://ggwash.org/view/amp/84981

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 5, 2022 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 6:48 PM
BANNED

One metro or two?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 7:30 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Even though not officially, I still would count as SF and SJ as one. So much overlap. I'm on the SF side of the metro but go into SJ more often, including airport.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 9:11 PM

San Jose is San Francisco's Inland Empire. Same metro area, same sprawl. A metro area whose centre competes for the 2nd most urban place in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Going back to the thread title, I think these two satellite images are interesting for showing why I think that making apples to apples comparisons at the CSA level can sometimes be hard to do.

Chicagoland is clearly a single urban entity.

Washington-Baltimore is a different kind of two-headed urban animal.
Even though Washington-Baltimore CSA keeps growing much faster than Chicago CSA, I don't think they'll never be regarded as a single metro area on people's minds. Dallas-Fort Worth is different: if one day its MSA surpasses Chicago's, then we'll have a new 3rd largest metro area.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 10:36 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ The Bay Area’s version of the Inland Empire is Stockton, Modesto, and Merced. SJ is OC, the difference being that it’s not part of the MSA. But I get what you’re saying.

Chicagoland’s MSA and CSA numbers are pretty similar, where as DC and Boston need to merge with Baltimore and Providence, respectively, to climb the ranks. But the Bay Area also needs the Central Valley and Santa Cruz for an extra 2 million. At that point, it’s not far-fetched to group DC and Baltimore. In fact, that’s how jobs on LinkedIn are marketed now — “Washington DC-Baltimore Area.”

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 10:57 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

The SF-SJ is dynamic pretty unique. SJ city is larger and the region’s economic engine, but SF has the name brand recognition and is culturally very different. The Bay Area as a whole is easily the most multi-nodal urban agglomeration in the country — SF, Oakland, Berkeley, Menlo Park, Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, Cupertino, San Jose, Fremont, Napa/Sonoma Counties, etc. Plus historically independent cities like Stockton, Modesto, Merced, and Santa Cruz. That helps its argument for being one region, but it also underscores the fact that SF is not the dominant anchor city when the region’s most consequential institutions (education and corporate) are located outside SF itself. This is not nearly the case with NYC or DC.

Built environment notwithstanding, it’s pretty clear that the balance of power in BalWash is much more one-sided than SF-SJ. Yes, Baltimore is the “legacy” city, but DC has been the nation’s capital since 1800. Baltimore was the larger of the two up until the most recent census, but metro DC has been larger for decades. Baltimore has more old-school urbanism, but DC’s cityscape is unquestionably grander and more iconic — its core having a concentration of power that is rivaled by only a handful of cities around the world.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 11:47 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

I think we can all agree that there's at least a significant amount of shared overlap between DC and Baltimore that is different than NYC/Philly. Baltimore city and County are oriented northward, having a palpable Southeastern PA influence in a way that DC doesn't.

I would say Howard and Anne Arundel Counties historically have more ties to DC and exist as they do because of DC's pull. "Awarding" those two counties to DC and the other CSA counties that are more within DC's sphere of influence, you get a population of approximately 7.6 million. That feels more correct. But then again, you can't ignore the fact that Anne Arundel and Howard are Baltimore's second and third most populous suburban counties. Nor can you deny that DC and Baltimore clearly belong to a unique Mid-Atlantic, Appalachia-adjacent region situated on the Chesapeake Bay bounded by the traditional Northeast and Old South.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
but it also underscores the fact that SF is not the dominant anchor city when the region’s most consequential institutions (education and corporate) are located outside SF itself. This is not nearly the case with NYC or DC.
I'd say SF is the dominant anchor city. Yes, it has the name recognition and tourists, and it's also at the center of the densest, most populated part of the Bay Area, has a lot of government institutions that you won't find in SJ or Oakland (the supreme court, the US mint, the federal reserve bank, the regional FBI office, etc), and has more than twice the downtown office space of both SJ and Oakland combined. The Bay and region is named after it, and it was a big city already for decades while SJ and Oakland were small towns. More TV and radio stations are based in SF than SJ or Oakland as well, and SF also has more professional sports teams. Also, there's lots of corporate presence in SF proper: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._San_Francisco. There's like 80 million square feet of office space in downtown SF.

SJ and Oakland are also at the top of the pile of the Bay Area urban core, but SF is a step above. And for the record, Oakland isn't really that separate from SF in practice...they're literally right next to each other. In half the world they would share city limits and a name.

But yeah, it sure isn't as dominant as say, NYC.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 8:06 AM

Quote:
The level of train service between Tokyo and Osaka is likely higher, but obviously the level of interaction is much lower. Japanese don't drive or fly or bus as much, they take the train.

The frequency of New York-London flights is much higher than the frequency of London-Manchester flights. That doesn't mean that New York has more interaction with London than London does with Manchester, it simply means that other forms of travel are largely impossible for NY-London, and England, domestically, doesn't have many flights.
The Tokaido Shinkansen isn’t shuffling around air; it’s pre-pandemic ridership was 40% higher than the MTA LIRR which is the largest commuter network in North America. That isn’t to say that all of the urban areas along the Tokaido Shinkansen are part of some massive metropolitan area, commuter shed or major labour market, but there certainly is a very high level of interaction.

Before the pandemic, the peak-hour service was a train every 12 minutes between Manchester and London, the equivalent capacity of 10 x A330neo’s per hour. HS2 will deliver the equivalent additional capacity of 11 x A330neo’s per hour with a journey time of 67mins.

Quote:
There are flights from NY to Philadelphia (there shouldn't be, but that's another topic), but they are just meant for connecting passengers. It would be pretty stupid to buy a plane ticket from NYC to Philadelphia. As I said above, there's probably a bus leaving New York for Philadelphia an average of every 10 minutes.

There's Megabus, Flixbus, Ourbus, Greyhound, Peter Pan, and various independent operators (the "Chinatown bus"). I struggle to imagine two major cities in the world that are easier to travel between than New York and Philadelphia.
Where are these coaches every 10mins? Looking at your own links (plus further research), there are just six services (2 Greyhound, 1 Chinatown, 1 Flixbus, 1 Megabus + 1 Peter Pan) that arrive in New York from Philadelphia in the 3-hour period of 0600-0900. A 30-minute frequency isn’t exactly great especially considering the lower capacity provided by coaches.

Out of interest, over the same time period, there are five coaches that run from Birmingham (2 Flixbus, 2 National Express + 1 Megabus) arriving in London between 0600-0900.

Quote:
There probably aren't two cities with this level of intercity bus service anywhere in the world. The PABT is the busiest bus terminal on earth, and Philly is the #2 U.S. city for intercity bus volumes.

But I don't see why any of this is relevant. Modal share differences across countries aren't particularly relevant to relative interactivity. The U.S. obviously has much lower rail share than Japan, that's all.
I suspect that there are probably quite a few emerging economies which have higher frequencies/volumes when it comes to intercity bus/coach services, mainly down to the absence of or low quality intercity rail infrastructure.

Coaches – whilst a low-cost mode – are typically slower and provide far less capacity than modern rail setups. As noted above, there are just six coach services arriving in New York over a 3-hour period (0600-0900); that would probably equate to the capacity of a single Acela trainset, or half that of a class 390/1 trainset (which run between Birmingham and London), or a quarter of the future HS2 rolling stock.

Quote:
This is dumb. You're comparing Amtrak, which is not even 10% of the Penn Station ridership. The NY area has something like 20x the commuter rail numbers of SoCal. The NY-Trenton NJ Transit line has higher ridership than all the commuter rail lines in California, combined. In normal, non-pandemic times, that route alone has over 100 bilevel trains daily, and up to 12 cars in length. Obviously Acela and Septa would add significant numbers too.
SEPTA’s Trenton Line and NJT’s Northeast Corridor Line aren't through running, but by far the biggest issue is the atrocious average transfer time at Trenton of 17mins. The services might as well terminate another town away with such poor coordination.

Quote:
There is no reliable data on how many people travel between NYC and Philadelphia on a daily basis because it is next to impossible to track. There isn't even any good source that counts the number of seats traveling between the two cities on a daily basis. The number of buses running daily between the two cities is well into the 100s. Using Amtrak or NJ Transit + SEPTA, there are around 50 or 60 trains per day between NYC and Philadelphia. At a minimum you're talking about 25,000 - 30,000 seats on bus or rail transit between Philadelphia and New York on a daily basis.
London to Birmingham pre-pandemic was circa >50,000 seats. HS2 is going to add another 60,000, combined with WCML capacity relief and CML upgrades, the London to Birmingham capacity will probably be north of 120,000 seats by the end of the decade. As noted by others, there are plenty of other intercity corridors with higher capacity than that between Philadelphia and New York.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 3:11 PM

Quote:
The SF-SJ is dynamic pretty unique. SJ city is larger and the region’s economic engine,
According to the thread that showed average incomes per MSA, SF still has a bit more jobs than SJ.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 3:19 PM

Quote:
I think we can all agree that there's at least a significant amount of shared overlap between DC and Baltimore that is different than NYC/Philly. Baltimore city and County are oriented northward, having a palpable Southeastern PA influence in a way that DC doesn't.

I would say Howard and Anne Arundel Counties historically have more ties to DC and exist as they do because of DC's pull. "Awarding" those two counties to DC and the other CSA counties that are more within DC's sphere of influence, you get a population of approximately 7.6 million. That feels more correct. But then again, you can't ignore the fact that Anne Arundel and Howard are Baltimore's second and third most populous suburban counties. Nor can you deny that DC and Baltimore clearly belong to a unique Mid-Atlantic, Appalachia-adjacent region situated on the Chesapeake Bay bounded by the traditional Northeast and Old South.
I agree with this. I'd also add that it's hard to attribute Anne Arundel to D.C. since it directly borders Baltimore. If Anne Arundel becomes part of the D.C. MSA then so does Baltimore.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 3:23 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
The Bay Area as a whole is easily the most multi-nodal urban agglomeration in the country — SF, Oakland, Berkeley, Menlo Park, Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, Cupertino, San Jose, Fremont, Napa/Sonoma Counties, etc.
yeah, the water/topography geography of the bay area - and the polycentric region it has spawned - is just so radically different from what i'm used to.

coming from one of the most mono-centric major metro areas of the country, poly-centric regions like the bay area can be hard for me to wrap my head around.

in ridiculously broad (though still kernel of truth) strokes, chicagoland is like 5 sq. miles of skyscrapers in the core surrounded by 2,500 sq. miles of bedrooms circling around it. everything is focused on the core of the city like some giant mirror of a refracting telescope concentrating the whole metro area down to a single point.

what of note in chicagoland isn't in the city?

it's hard to even start the list.

northwestern U is probably the biggest one, but even then it's located in a city-adjacent 19th century inner-ring railroad suburb that only exists as a separate thing because it successfully fought off several annexation attempts by the city. and most of its big grad schools are downtown at the streeterville campus anyway.....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions