HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Agree with the shopping. Center City shopping was already lagging post pandemic, but it got HAMMERED during the pandemic.

Shopping seems to be the last thing to return unfortunately. People are coming back, restaurants are opening up, bars are opening up, events are coming back, etc. It's only a matter of time before more shopping returns at this point...
Center City has always been behind its peers in terms of retail. I know this has been discussed at length, but does anyone have a definitive answer as to why it’s lacking? Is it because KOP attracts all of the high end retail that just want a “regional presence”?

At this point Rittenhouse should be on par with the Back Bay in Boston for shopping- Walnut as a Newbury St and Chestnut as a Boyleston. Unfortunately, it’s still not anywhere close.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 8:16 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Center City has always been behind its peers in terms of retail. I know this has been discussed at length, but does anyone have a definitive answer as to why it’s lacking? Is it because KOP attracts all of the high end retail that just want a “regional presence”?

At this point Rittenhouse should be on par with the Back Bay in Boston for shopping- Walnut as a Newbury St and Chestnut as a Boyleston. Unfortunately, it’s still not anywhere close.
High rents, the business tax structure and a lack of some of the consistent quality services have been the reasons I have heard. And stores being looted and vandalized certainly didn't help the situation.

KOP could factor into the equation but it's far enough from CC and with CC's and the surrounding areas' residential population if the city played their cards right KOP could be of minimal impact.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
High rents, the business tax structure and a lack of some of the consistent quality services have been the reasons I have heard. And stores being looted and vandalized certainly didn't help the situation.

KOP could factor into the equation but it's far enough from CC and with CC's and the surrounding areas' residential population if the city played their cards right KOP could be of minimal impact.
Yeah, I’m sure the riots didn’t help. Although, Newbury St got hit pretty hard last year as well. I’d assume Newbury rents are high as well and that some of the higher tier retail could absorb some of those costs you mentioned. As far as crime, I remember Walnut St having a reputation for shoplifting and flash mobs during the early 2010’s, but I feel like it’s a much different street now vs then. I’m sure it’s still in the process of recovering from 2020 and hopefully with all of the new nearby luxury towers being built we’ll see some changes in the coming years.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 11:14 PM
Chris

Quote:
Yeah, I’m sure the riots didn’t help. Although, Newbury St got hit pretty hard last year as well. I’d assume Newbury rents are high as well and that some of the higher tier retail could absorb some of those costs you mentioned. As far as crime, I remember Walnut St having a reputation for shoplifting and flash mobs during the early 2010’s, but I feel like it’s a much different street now vs then. I’m sure it’s still in the process of recovering from 2020 and hopefully with all of the new nearby luxury towers being built we’ll see some changes in the coming years.
Every reason discussed above is correct, some more than others. Plus, I know Center City is booming but there is A LOT more wealth around KoP, which is a factor in deciding at least the first location. But at this point, if downtown Boston, DC, and Chicago can have top caliber retail, then Philadelphia should (and can) too, and it would perform fine. RittRow and whatever other entities oversee Center City retail need to get their s**t together and market the heck out of Center City.

KoP is still adding high-end retailers left and right, Marc Jacobs and Van Cleef & Arpels just announced a store in the mall, which is one of the worlds most prestigious brands. So eyes are on the region, only a matter of time until some mid-tier or slightly higher-end brands "discover" Center City. (My hope anyway).

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Every reason discussed above is correct, some more than others. Plus, I know Center City is booming but there is A LOT more wealth around KoP, which is a factor in deciding at least the first location. But at this point, if downtown Boston, DC, and Chicago can have top caliber retail, then Philadelphia should (and can) too, and it would perform fine. RittRow and whatever other entities oversee Center City retail need to get their s**t together and market the heck out of Center City.

KoP is still adding high-end retailers left and right, Marc Jacobs and Van Cleef & Arpels just announced a store in the mall, which is one of the worlds most prestigious brands. So eyes are on the region, only a matter of time until some mid-tier or slightly higher-end brands "discover" Center City. (My hope anyway).
One would think high end retailers are constantly assessing regional markets and would understand the potential of Rittenhouse based on the numbers. Another reason might be Walnut started coming into its own in the early 2010’s just as national retailers began pulling back on brick and mortar. In other words, we may have been a bit late to the party, but as you mentioned it probably continues to be a myriad of things.

Ugh, a Van Clef in the former Tiffany’s spot would be pretty cool and I’d throw in a Restoration Hardware in The Drexel Building while we’re at it :/

Last edited by skyhigh07; Nov 19, 2021 at 12:12 AM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 2:08 AM

Quote:
One would think high end retailers are constantly assessing regional markets and would understand the potential of Rittenhouse based on the numbers. Another reason might be Walnut started coming into its own in the early 2010’s just as national retailers began pulling back on brick and mortar. In other words, we may have been a bit late to the party, but as you mentioned it probably continues to be a myriad of things.

Ugh, a Van Clef in the former Tiffany’s spot would be pretty cool and I’d throw in a Restoration Hardware in The Drexel Building while we’re at it :/
I think people overestimate how sophisticated most retailers are in understanding a location's relative strengths. Center City still looks relatively weak if you use the traditional approach of understanding your "catchment area" by calculating a 1-3-5 mile radius or some sort of drive time analysis (because if you understand the value of the location in those terms, your analysis is grabbing vast expenses of low-income neighborhoods on both sides of the river). Some of course can see the more fine-grained picture and understand that the drivers of success are the population within walking distance, its wealth and spending power, as well as more transient populations of tourists, conventioneers, office workers, etc.

But many stick to their guns in fairly ridiculous ways, Trader Joe's being a great example. They've been willing to make exceptions in Manhattan, and ONLY Manhattan, in terms of their attitude towards parking attached to their stores. Despite the business model, target shopper, and other factors of a central Philadelphia store being more akin to a Manhattan store than a suburban California store, they demand the same parking ratios here as they seek anywhere else across the country. The result: a complete unwillingness to consider what any of us would understand to be homerun locations, strange treatment of existing locations (e.g. no door on Market Street), and expansion locations that, while ultimately successful, are kind of head-scratchers. Can you imagine any other supermarket brand looking at their 13th and Arch location and thinking, yep, these are the ingredients I'm looking for for my urban store: minimal foot traffic, very little adjacent residential, multiple blocks rendered dead and useless by the convention center, etc. Their thinking was simple: the store is in a garage, and the garage is necessary to us doing well. I would LOVE to know how many TJ's shoppers in Philly arrive by car relative to other modes. Meanwhile, they remain firm in their convictions even as Giant/Heirloom opens store after store with zero parking and crushes it because they choose locations where people live and understand that locals will make multiple small trips weekly rather than an every two-weeks, load-up-the-SUV trip.

I recognize much of the above commentary was more about luxury brands than convenience or service-based retail. On the luxury front, I'd argue that the growth we've seen in and around CC has been far more in younger, middle-income households than people who actually make enough to spend money routinely at stores like the ones mentioned. I think that demographic reality, coupled with the fact that Center City was really only deemed "acceptable" or ready for its spotlight at a time when brick and mortar was already faltering and then truly disrupted by a pandemic all mean that we're just not ever going to have the kind of retail mix people seem to think is somehow important or an indicator of us having made it.

For my money, I'd much rather we be the city of an Heirloom in every neighborhood than a city with a super sleek prime retail corridor. That is admittedly a reflection of my own socioeconomic status: when I travel to Europe, I'm more struck and enchanted about how easy and livable cities like London and Paris are by virtue of how chock full of basic conveniences each neighborhood is (tons of small supermarkets, clothing staples, specialty grocers, salons, bars and restaurants, etc) than I am by how Regent Street or Rue St Honore is doing.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Fishtown View Post
I recognize much of the above commentary was more about luxury brands than convenience or service-based retail. On the luxury front, I'd argue that the growth we've seen in and around CC has been far more in younger, middle-income households than people who actually make enough to spend money routinely at stores like the ones mentioned. I think that demographic reality, coupled with the fact that Center City was really only deemed "acceptable" or ready for its spotlight at a time when brick and mortar was already faltering and then truly disrupted by a pandemic all mean that we're just not ever going to have the kind of retail mix people seem to think is somehow important or an indicator of us having made it.
Very insightful post!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I love the boutique scene here in Philly and how the populace embraces it. I also in a weird way love the (relative) lack of attention paid to branding. High end stores are nice, sure. But I much prefer 3rd Street over Walnut.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 1:33 PM

Quote:
For my money, I'd much rather we be the city of an Heirloom in every neighborhood than a city with a super sleek prime retail corridor. That is admittedly a reflection of my own socioeconomic status: when I travel to Europe, I'm more struck and enchanted about how easy and livable cities like London and Paris are by virtue of how chock full of basic conveniences each neighborhood is (tons of small supermarkets, clothing staples, specialty grocers, salons, bars and restaurants, etc) than I am by how Regent Street or Rue St Honore is doing.
Perfectly stated, and I agree 100% about what's truly more important for urban vitality.

I also have to think that there are number of high-end retailers falling out of relevance pretty quickly, especially as younger consumers seem to care MUCH less about brand name shopping and materialism in general.

On another but related note, I get that high-end shopping corridors continue to be seen by many folks as a major status symbol for cities, but I have to think in 2021, that business model may be beginning to be a bit out-of-touch by a significant segment of the consumer population, even amongst many who are wealthier, who would much rather spend a large chunk of money on an "experience" than an Italian leather handbag or a "handcrafted" pair of jeans.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 2:49 PM

Quote:

Im as againt looting as the next guy but Im a bit tired of people using that as the reason we dont have gucci on walnut street when we didnt have it before. The issues that exist now existed before the looting- the same complaints about lack of luxury retail were happening years before 2020. And in case people forgot there was looting in almost every major american city and if I recall high end districts in Chicago and NYC got hit. Hard for me to believe all these high end brands that stayed out of CC for decades were just about to sign leases until the looting scared them away.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 3:45 PM
Me?!?

I totally agree re: livable neighborhoods with the basic services is best but Philly is a big tourist town so not having a high end walkable retail area leaves something missing IMO, especially when you look at the cities we need to compete with...and having our own suburbs to compete with also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
Im as againt looting as the next guy but Im a bit tired of people using that as the reason we dont have gucci on walnut street when we didnt have it before. The issues that exist now existed before the looting- the same complaints about lack of luxury retail were happening years before 2020. And in case people forgot there was looting in almost every major american city and if I recall high end districts in Chicago and NYC got hit. Hard for me to believe all these high end brands that stayed out of CC for decades were just about to sign leases until the looting scared them away.
Conveniently you are leaving out how dumpy and crime ridden CC was in spots for years before any of the social unrest occurred. Then we went on the upswing for years (and I would argue that sometimes it was a clawing upwards too, as there were obstacles) but still not without some issues and then the unrest occurred. Our reputation is not the best on the national stage and that needs to be acknowledged and corrected; Times Square once had a bad rep too and look at what the city did to change that, for example.

NYC and Chicago did something we did not do and ensured that these areas stayed safe over the years so when this nonsense occurred people had no fears about it not being an isolated incident and that the area would not be coming back. What did Philly do? Not really much, per usual.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
Perfectly stated, and I agree 100% about what's truly more important for urban vitality.

I also have to think that there are number of high-end retailers falling out of relevance pretty quickly, especially as younger consumers seem to care MUCH less about brand name shopping and materialism in general.

On another but related note, I get that high-end shopping corridors continue to be seen by many folks as a major status symbol for cities, but I have to think in 2021, that business model may be beginning to be a bit out-of-touch by a significant segment of the consumer population, even amongst many who are wealthier, who would much rather spend a large chunk of money on an "experience" than an Italian leather handbag or a "handcrafted" pair of jeans.
I’m not a high end retailer shopper per se - I think a lot of it is overhyped honestly. That being said, these stores create very attractive storefronts and add vibrancy to the streetscape. I’d love to see an Italian handbag store on Walnut vs another bank or empty space. On a side note, I recently spoke with someone who wished Walnut stores would do more to decorate for the holidays like Anthropologie store does. Luxury stores often go above and beyond in seasonal decoration and as you mentioned they contribute to the “experience” of the area. I’m not saying Walnut should or frankly can become the next Champs Elysees or Saville Row, but given it’s location and brand it’s certainly lacking right now.

I’ve read some pushback regarding the claim that Gen Z is less materialistic than previous generations. Sure, they get their dopamine hits more from tech and social media than shopping these days, but a lot of the data out there doesn’t support that it’s noticeably less. In fact they may be more - if they’re going to keep showing off on Instagram and Tik Tok, they still need money and “stuff”.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 5:24 PM

Quote:
NYC and Chicago did something we did not do and ensured that these areas stayed safe over the years so when this nonsense occurred people had no fears about it not being an isolated incident and that the area would not be coming back. What did Philly do? Not really much, per usual.
I don't think there's anyone that would disagree with you that there should be much more aggressive deterrence of crime/quality of life issues in Philly.

But I'd also caution against putting cities like Chicago and NYC on such a tall pedestal. Both cities have had plenty of impacts/incidents in relation to the pandemic and increased crime that have taken a major toll on a sense of safety.

In fact, if there's any big city downtown that's returned to complete normalcy and stability since early 2020, I'd love to hear about it. But I'm willing to bet there is no large city that does not have a pretty significant uphill battle ahead of them for a number of reasons--whether it's related to the never-ending pandemic, social unrest, challenging demographic headwinds, or otherwise. Any city that would claim otherwise is being delusional.

Last edited by UrbanRevival; Nov 19, 2021 at 5:36 PM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 6:25 PM

Quote:
I don't think there's anyone that would disagree with you that there should be much more aggressive deterrence of crime/quality of life issues in Philly.
The discussion seems to have been about Center City, and not the city as a whole? Still, I'm somewhat convinced by his/her posts that EastSideHBG hasn't set foot in Center City since the early Obama years. Another McBane among us.

Fashion District has also played a bit of a role in Walnut Street getting hit hard. A lot of (predictable) canibalism occurred with what I'm assuming was the lure of cheap build-outs and cheaper rents from PREIT. The flagship H&M moved there, Ulta, Guess, Armani Exchange, American Eagle, Forever 21, Express all closed up shop on Walnut/Chestnut for new FD digs.

Plus newer brands to the Center City market like Kate Spade, Aeropostale, Hollister, DSW all chose FD instead.

I think Walnut Street is stabilizing with pretty tried and true brands, and no new vacancies in quite a while. The new Govberg and Tiffany's are both stunning. But without a market differentiator like Holiday Decorations and street-scape lighting - I've been screaming about this for 20 years - if you're All Birds what's keeping you from just going over to a climate controlled building with cheaper rent?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I think Walnut Street is stabilizing with pretty tried and true brands, and no new vacancies in quite a while. The new Govberg and Tiffany's are both stunning. But without a market differentiator like Holiday Decorations and street-scape lighting - I've been screaming about this for 20 years - if you're All Birds what's keeping you from just going over to a climate controlled building with cheaper rent?
That's a great point. The decorations on Jewelers Row would be perfect for Walnut from 16th to Rittenhouse Park.

Beautification would go a long way (brick sidewalks, more street trees). The empty lots where the fire was look so bad as well. Sadly I think it'll sit like this for another 2-4 years based on 2nd and Chestnut fire. Also a first Friday type thing would be a great idea to close the street.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 7:16 PM

Quote:
The discussion seems to have been about Center City, and not the city as a whole? Still, I'm somewhat convinced by his/her posts that EastSideHBG hasn't set foot in Center City since the early Obama years. Another McBane among us.

Fashion District has also played a bit of a role in Walnut Street getting hit hard. A lot of (predictable) canibalism occurred with what I'm assuming was the lure of cheap build-outs and cheaper rents from PREIT. The flagship H&M moved there, Ulta, Guess, Armani Exchange, American Eagle, Forever 21, Express all closed up shop on Walnut/Chestnut for new FD digs.

Plus newer brands to the Center City market like Kate Spade, Aeropostale, Hollister, DSW all chose FD instead.

That’s a great point about the FD siphoning off some of Walnut’s momentum. I hadn’t considered that.

Rittenhouse Row could at the very least put together a frickin holiday decor storefront competition or something. Next time you’re in London for the holidays please take pictures of Mayfair and Knightsbridge and show us how it’s done!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
That's a great point. The decorations on Jewelers Row would be perfect for Walnut from 16th to Rittenhouse Park.
That's kind of tacky for a high-end shopping street. Google Regents Street Christmas, Covent Garden Christmas, Miracle Mile Christmas - and you'll get the idea pretty quickly of how far behind these strips RR is.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 8:00 PM

Quote:
That's kind of tacky for a high-end shopping street. Google Regents Street Christmas, Covent Garden Christmas, Miracle Mile Christmas - and you'll get the idea pretty quickly of how far behind these strips RR is.
The city in general is pretty meh when it comes to holiday decorations. Even in Old City, where it is screaming for holiday decor, outside of 3rd street (which is nice), it's severly lacking. Compared to NYC, Philly does comparatively very little.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
The city in general is pretty meh when it comes to holiday decorations. Even in Old City, where it is screaming for holiday decor, outside of 3rd street (which is nice), it's severly lacking. Compared to NYC, Philly does comparatively very little.
????????? Uhhhhh, what? where do you live? Have you been to Philadelphia during Christmas time? I disagree 100%

And please, please people.... stop comparing us to NYC. Compare Philly to Boston, San Francisco, DC and Miami. Those are our peers.

While I do agree with Londonee about Walnut Street needing more beautification all year round, stronger holiday lights, etc.... I disagree totally that the city lacks in holidays lights, spirits and festivities as a whole.

I think Philadelphia does a superb job with holiday decorations. Christmas Village at Love Park, and the holiday set up at Dilworth. The new holiday set up at the East Market development. Holiday lights in Rittenhouse Square and Franklin Square. Macy's light show. Comcast Center holiday show. Fitler Square holiday decorations. Addison Street (although those lights are up year round). Old City and Betsy Ross house, Tree and Holiday lights at Philadelphia Museum of Art, Miracle on 13th Street, Main Street in Manayunk gets loaded up with lights, Germantown Ave in Chestnut Hill gets loaded up with lights and decorations...

I'm sure there's a lot I'm missing here too.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 8:24 PM
Chris

Quote:
I think people overestimate how sophisticated most retailers are in understanding a location's relative strengths. Center City still looks relatively weak if you use the traditional approach of understanding your "catchment area" by calculating a 1-3-5 mile radius or some sort of drive time analysis (because if you understand the value of the location in those terms, your analysis is grabbing vast expenses of low-income neighborhoods on both sides of the river). Some of course can see the more fine-grained picture and understand that the drivers of success are the population within walking distance, its wealth and spending power, as well as more transient populations of tourists, conventioneers, office workers, etc.

But many stick to their guns in fairly ridiculous ways, Trader Joe's being a great example. They've been willing to make exceptions in Manhattan, and ONLY Manhattan, in terms of their attitude towards parking attached to their stores. Despite the business model, target shopper, and other factors of a central Philadelphia store being more akin to a Manhattan store than a suburban California store, they demand the same parking ratios here as they seek anywhere else across the country. The result: a complete unwillingness to consider what any of us would understand to be homerun locations, strange treatment of existing locations (e.g. no door on Market Street), and expansion locations that, while ultimately successful, are kind of head-scratchers. Can you imagine any other supermarket brand looking at their 13th and Arch location and thinking, yep, these are the ingredients I'm looking for for my urban store: minimal foot traffic, very little adjacent residential, multiple blocks rendered dead and useless by the convention center, etc. Their thinking was simple: the store is in a garage, and the garage is necessary to us doing well. I would LOVE to know how many TJ's shoppers in Philly arrive by car relative to other modes. Meanwhile, they remain firm in their convictions even as Giant/Heirloom opens store after store with zero parking and crushes it because they choose locations where people live and understand that locals will make multiple small trips weekly rather than an every two-weeks, load-up-the-SUV trip.

Why can't we have both? I've long complained about the lack of grocery and fresh market presence in Center City, that has finally changed, much thanks to Giant and others (Trader Joes long ignored the Philadelphia market, so they suck even though I still shop there). But a lot of other retail (not just high-end) requires ordering online or trips to KoP or Cherry Hill, shouldn't be the case.

And whether you agree or disagree, a strong retail presence does somewhat play into the prestige of a big city, just like the arts scene, culinary scene, parks, museums, etc. Philadelphia has everything but the retail, so not the end of the world by any means, just something that would make Center City more of a showstopper downtown, and an additional lure for tourists since they shop and no sales tax on clothes or shoes.

Quote:

I can't find any data to support your statements. The days of traditional malls are ending, but there are no signs that designer brands, luxury brands, high-end home stores, etc. are floundering. And a lot of my intel comes directly from friends in the business working for Saks, Theory, Nordstrom, etc.

One thing that has changed is many luxury brands do not have flagships just to have flagships, they have to make money to stay open, but I've only seen spotty circumstances where a flagship closed or moved because of that.

Quote:
I totally agree re: livable neighborhoods with the basic services is best but Philly is a big tourist town so not having a high end walkable retail area leaves something missing IMO, especially when you look at the cities we need to compete with...and having our own suburbs to compete with also.
Your first paragraph was part of my original point. I was NOT painting Philadelphia as a lackluster city, CC is a top 3 downtown in almost every metric, but for shopping, whether its convenience, home, high-end, etc., it's pretty bad compared to DC, Boston, Chicago, San Fran (not using NYC since its in a different tier).

And the competing with the suburbs thing is another problem that goes beyond just retail.

Quote:
I’m not a high end retailer shopper per se - I think a lot of it is overhyped honestly. That being said, these stores create very attractive storefronts and add vibrancy to the streetscape. I’d love to see an Italian handbag store on Walnut vs another bank or empty space. On a side note, I recently spoke with someone who wished Walnut stores would do more to decorate for the holidays like Anthropologie store does. Luxury stores often go above and beyond in seasonal decoration and as you mentioned they contribute to the “experience” of the area. I’m not saying Walnut should or frankly can become the next Champs Elysees or Saville Row, but given it’s location and brand it’s certainly lacking right now.

I’ve read some pushback regarding the claim that Gen Z is less materialistic than previous generations. Sure, they get their dopamine hits more from tech and social media than shopping these days, but a lot of the data out there doesn’t support that it’s noticeably less. In fact they may be more - if they’re going to keep showing off on Instagram and Tik Tok, they still need money and “stuff”.
More great points. Most of the buildings on RittRow are beautiful, but everything else needs some TLC. And I also was not advocating for Walnut to resemble Champs Elysees, but it is Philadelphia's premiere stretch retail street, and should be treated as such from whatever entities manage it.

*Anyways, I will get back on topic and agree to disagree with some of ya'll

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Nov 19, 2021 at 8:39 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development