HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 1:03 AM
Chicago

619 W Randolph - Formerly Blackbird Restaurant

October 2, 2023

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 1:04 AM
Chicago

One Six Six - 166 N Aberdeen

October 2, 2023

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 1:04 AM
Chicago

919 on Fulton - 919 W Fulton Market

October 2, 2023

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 1:05 AM
Chicago

1630 S Wabash

October 3, 2023

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 1:05 AM
Chicago

1700 S Wabash

October 3, 2023

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 1:41 PM

Can someone help me identify what is the construction that is occurring right off of 90? I have seen it going on for a while and it looks massive, but for some reason I have been unable to find anything on it. I thought it may be Bally's but I don't think that is under construction right now? It is right by Goose Island or Lincoln Yards

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohcatoah View Post
Can someone help me identify what is the construction that is occurring right off of 90? I have seen it going on for a while and it looks massive, but for some reason I have been unable to find anything on it. I thought it may be Bally's but I don't think that is under construction right now? It is right by Goose Island or Lincoln Yards
This one?
Block Club

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
This one?
Block Club

That's the one! Great find! Thank you! How did you end up finding this article?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohcatoah View Post
That's the one! Great find! Thank you! How did you end up finding this article?
I Google'd "chicago warehouse construction" and sifted through the News results.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 7:08 PM

Looks like this could be a nice little adaptive reuse

https://news.wttw.com/2023/10/10/cit...museum-mexican

City Panel Endorses Plan to Sell Vacant Little Village Fire Station to National Museum of Mexican Art

Quote:
A key city panel endorsed on Tuesday a measure that would sell a vacant Little Village fire station to the National Museum of Mexican Art for $1, to be used to expand Yollocalli Arts Reach, which offers free programs for teens and young adults.

With the unanimous endorsement of the City Council’s Housing and Real Estate Committee, the final vote on the proposal to sell the fire station is scheduled to take place at the next regular meeting of the Chicago City Council.

The fire station at 2538 S. Whipple St. was in use for more than a century but has been vacant since 2011 when a new fire station was built two blocks away. The Chicago Historic Resources Survey determined the two-story structure is significant in the context of the surrounding community.

The old fire station, which an appraisal found to be worth $29,000, is set to be transformed into a gallery, gathering space and community center. The museum will restore the architecturally significant portions of the building, including its spiral staircase, and seek landmark designation from the city, according to the redevelopment proposal.

The fire station is set to be the second location for Yollocalli, which was founded in 1997 and moved from Pilsen to the Little Village Boys and Girls Club in 2013.

In 2019, the Little Village Environmental Justice Organization and the Delta Institute proposed transforming the vacant fire station into a commercial kitchen for street vendors on the city’s Southwest Side.

That proposal was a finalist for the Pritzker Traubert Foundation’s $10 million Chicago Prize, but was not selected.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 9:28 PM

Hugo

Old Posted Oct 17, 2023, 9:48 PM

Old Posted Oct 17, 2023, 11:14 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
I didn’t read the article, but my guess is a project or two will get funded, but not all 5 (?) like LL was hoping.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Not sure it was a great idea for taxpayers to bailout commercial landlords in the first place. The city should do what it can to cut red tape and encourage these conversions but subsidies in the amounts that were being talked about is/was a bridge too far.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 2:10 AM

6754 N. Northwest Hwy. & 5400-16 W. Devon Ave.

Was browsing around some of the smaller local papers today and found a few projects that would probably fit the "Urban Development in the Burbs" thread except they're in the city, just barely.

Nadig Newspapers: Mixed-use development with up to total of 80 units proposed for M.J. Suerth funeral home site in Edison Park

Quote:
Two mixed-use buildings, each with first-floor commercial and up to 40 residential units on the upper floors and 30 to 40 indoor parking spaces, is being proposed for the M. J. Suerth Funeral Home site, 6754 N. Northwest Hwy., in Edison Park.

The 41st Ward Zoning Advisory Committee will discuss the proposal at its meeting at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 18, at Olympia Park fieldhouse, 6566 N. Avondale Ave.

The proposal calls for B3-5 zoning, the densest for a neighborhood business district. The committee’s votes serve as a recommendation to Alderman Anthony Napolitano.
Nadig Newspapers: Zoning proposal sparks conversation about future of Devon-Central business area in Edgebrook

Quote:
A preliminary proposal for 5400-16 W. Devon Ave. calls for the construction of a five-story building with 52 apartments, 42 parking spaces and about 5,000 square feet of first-floor commercial space
The proposal requires the densest zoning classification, B3-5, for a neighborhood business district, as up 106 apartments would be allowed on the 21,240-square-foot parcel, although the zoning ordinance likely would include a “Type 1” restriction limiting the number of units to 52 or whatever the agreed upon number is.

A rooftop recreational deck is being considered, and access to the 42 ground-floor parking spaces would be accessible from the rear alley.
Both Metra-adjacent with the potential for less than one parking spot per unit, which is about as urban as you can get given the locations. If anyone lives in the 41st Ward they should go to that meeting... I have a feeling it will be overwhelmingly negative.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 6:05 PM

DOM Properties received construction permits for another mixed-use building in Bronzeville (503 E Pershing): 5 stories, 32 units, 16 parking spots + retail. This is adjacent to their other development at 451 E Pershing.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 6:24 PM

1010 W Madison

Quote:
A Fulton Market District developer has abandoned plans to bring a 10-story condo building to the northwest corner of Madison and Morgan streets, opting instead for a long-term, build-to-suit lease with a New York-based modern bathhouse.
Quote:
Fulton Street Cos. shifted away from that plan because the firm saw Chicago’s condo market taking a turn for the worse and could not justify the increasing cost of construction, said CEO Alex Najem.
Source

What a shame, now we get this:

Instead of this:

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 7:05 PM

What the fuck is that?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 7:40 PM

damn that was one of the better looking proposals out there

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
damn that was one of the better looking proposals out there
Not quite as detailed and sexy as Embry, but gives off a similar general vibe.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development