HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 9:05 PM

One Dock Street Nearly Topped Out

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/12/one-...-old-city.html

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 11:44 PM

They put steel around the perimeter of the parapet. So now it's actually topped out

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 9:18 PM

the sunlight had such a fun effect on the cobbles of dock street as i was passing just yesterday. it's also really fun to see the different eras of Philadelphia architecture compete for attention while still feeling relatively balanced from this vantage on spruce street

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloworld View Post
it's also really fun to see the different eras of Philadelphia architecture compete for attention while still feeling relatively balanced from this vantage on spruce street
Regretfully it's missing all the 19th century buildings which were the best imo

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 2:33 AM

Philly has mismanaged and demo'd so much treasure. If Philly was in Europe, it would look incredible.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 2:46 AM
Philly Pholly

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
Philly has mismanaged and demo'd so much treasure. If Philly was in Europe, it would look incredible.
One thing that always stands out to me when comparing old photos, is just how much effort went into creating the historic "williamsburg"-type village aesthetic on the old buildings when all the blocks had a much more industrious look to them for most of their history before urban renewal

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
One thing that always stands out to me when comparing old photos, is just how much effort went into creating the historic "williamsburg"-type village aesthetic on the old buildings when all the blocks had a much more industrious look to them for most of their history before urban renewal
I was so bummed when I found out Williamsburg was a lot of faux reconstruction and demolition of other perfectly fine 1800s buildings. I can't recall where I read or saw this but I believe Burlington, NJ was actually another candidate for the colonial Williamsburg treatment.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
I was so bummed when I found out Williamsburg was a lot of faux reconstruction and demolition of other perfectly fine 1800s buildings. I can't recall where I read or saw this but I believe Burlington, NJ was actually another candidate for the colonial Williamsburg treatment.
I could believe it. Don't get me wrong, I am glad Man Full of Troubles Tavern (the building above) was saved. I just wish planners had a bit more foresight to not get rid of basically everything else around it. But it makes sense in the context of the 'living-museum' thinking behind it all. They just kept the buildings they deemed to have historical significance instead of thinking of the whole district of historic buildings.

What it looked like right prior to renewal:

It was rebuilt to be an attraction

and today, it's not a very popular attraction but retains an even more 'village'-ish appearance

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 5:37 PM

Basically every US city went through the same thing, unfortunately. And Philly is far from the most destroyed thankfully.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Basically every US city went through the same thing, unfortunately. And Philly is far from the most destroyed thankfully.
Walking the North End, Back Bay, etc. in Boston always saddens me because it reminds me of what Philly has lost. Philly has that historic feel but Boston does it so much better. A bit unrelated but we really, really need a freedom trail of our own here. So much history but no great self-guided route that gets you to all of it.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
Walking the North End, Back Bay, etc. in Boston always saddens me because it reminds me of what Philly has lost. Philly has that historic feel but Boston does it so much better. A bit unrelated but we really, really need a freedom trail of our own here. So much history but no great self-guided route that gets you to all of it.
I agree we need a freedom trail. The north end is cool, but Boston's downtown core barely has anything historic from urban renewal compared to Philly. We still have random rows on side streets next to skyscrapers, but their downtown lacks that kind of mixed eclecticness outside of some Paul Revere stuff in favor of large-lot high rises. Personally Im disappointed from the lack of a historic feel when I visit, but to each their own.

Anyway this is definitely too off topic now.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
Boston arguably made out worse than Philly, what with 93 cutting right through its core. The "Big Dig "stitched it back together, but nothing will replace the immense fabric lost there.

Philly certainly lost its share, particularly in neighborhoods bordering 95, but Center City is arguably the most historically intact core urban area in the country by comparison.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 1:22 PM

I think we made out better than Boston, they flattened the entire West End Check out this link: https://www.boston.gov/news/demolition-west-end

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorkishdork View Post
I think we made out better than Boston, they flattened the entire West End Check out this link: https://www.boston.gov/news/demolition-west-end
The problem w/ Boston comparison's is always scale. That link says the area removed was less than a quarter square mile. I don't think people really realize how much of Philly was removed with 95/76/Parkway/etc. Like visiting the two cities historic cores, one might actually come away with the impression Boston had "taller" more big city buildings just because the North End is still standing. That's not true, it's just the more "loft" Brooklyn-esque type building were all closer to the river because of industry and basically all removed. It's insane how few 5-7 floor historic buildings exist in Philadelphia

Last edited by TempleGuy1000; Dec 23, 2022 at 2:06 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 1:53 PM

I agree with what you said of what city lost what and I would love to have dock street be reverted back to what it was in the 19th century. But if we are talking % of historic core demolished, I have to believe Boston "wins" between the west end, I93 and their city hall, not to mention as a previous poster said downtown crossings has very few old buildings/houses left due to all the skycrapers that were built in the 20th century.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2022, 9:33 PM
Philly Pholly

I always wished the area around Independence Hall was preserved.
Amazes me that probably the most notable building in the city and the entire neighborhood was destroyed.
Just a few blocks left intact

Now that stack of towers rises up behind it.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 7:17 AM

Although the ongoing contest between Philly and Boston is often a fun way to waste some bar time, in this case both lost big time. Plus, Philly hasn't seemed to learn its lesson yet, as we are still all too likely to tear down a building just because it's not 200+ years old or designed or lived in by somebody famous. Having a historic commission who doesn't want to be proactive and a preservation community who is usually trying to save a building when demo has already started, doesn't help either.

Does anyone know anything about those arched roofed buildings in the B&W photos? Beautiful!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Does anyone know anything about those arched roofed buildings in the B&W photos? Beautiful!
It was a food market where the Korean Memorial is now

All the photos compromise of what was known as the "Dock Street Market": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dock_Street_Market

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
It was a food market where the Korean Memorial is now

All the photos compromise of what was known as the "Dock Street Market": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dock_Street_Market
I believe back in the day there was a creek where Dock St is and the city put the creek underground...maybe a dumb question but how does that happen? Just build over it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive