HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 3:42 PM
Modulator

Found the answer to my own question. This one slipped under the radar. Full rendering in the link below.

http://insights.wsp-pb.com/articles/...l-center-tower

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
A tower crane is going up at Banner University Medical Center! I knew they were planning a tower, but didn't think it was planned to go up so soon.

Has anyone seen a rendering on this yet?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 3:54 PM
BANNED

A couple of questions: Where on the property will the tower be located? Will the honeycomb tower remain and just remain as it is or will it be coming down?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 4:09 PM

Quote:
A tower crane is going up at Banner University Medical Center! I knew they were planning a tower, but didn't think it was planned to go up so soon.

Has anyone seen a rendering on this yet?
Just googled Banner University Medical Center and found this. Only rendering I could find so far.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 4:59 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
A couple of questions: Where on the property will the tower be located? Will the honeycomb tower remain and just remain as it is or will it be coming down?
The tower crane is just South of the current tower. I'm not sure about the old tower. I'll be honest....I wouldn't mind the old tower being brought down...I think it's ugly as sin. It looks more like a prison to me

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 6:34 PM

Quote:
The tower crane is just South of the current tower. I'm not sure about the old tower. I'll be honest....I wouldn't mind the old tower being brought down...I think it's ugly as sin. It looks more like a prison to me
It's next to it. Not a chance they'd demo the existing tower.

I used to think it is ugly, now it's kind of growing on me as a mid-century oddity for Phoenix.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 6:50 PM

They have been building for quite some time (currently up to about three stories) on a large area to the south of the current tower. I don't know if this is part of the new tower or just an auxiliary building but the plans are to have a new emergency building, a new outpatient building, and a new tower all very soon so I think we'll see all three go up almost at the same time.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 8:22 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
They have been building for quite some time (currently up to about three stories) on a large area to the south of the current tower. I don't know if this is part of the new tower or just an auxiliary building but the plans are to have a new emergency building, a new outpatient building, and a new tower all very soon so I think we'll see all three go up almost at the same time.
The new tower is going on top of the existing 3 stories. 16 floors total. Not bad.

Now if Derby and Circles can get off the ground, these along with the new Banner tower should add some nice height to help close up the skyline gap.

Speaking of Circles, apparently about 2 weeks ago, the developers met with the preservation committee to present changes to the design. Did anyone happen to go and get a glimpse of the proposed changes?

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Jul 7, 2016 at 8:33 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 9:23 PM

/\Also, what is the deal with the Derby? in litigation now because of the angel's trumpet people and will likely be dead?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
/\Also, what is the deal with the Derby? in litigation now because of the angel's trumpet people and will likely be dead?
Yeah what's the latest with Derby?? I haven't heard anything new regarding Circles but I think developer will be presenting again at RAA next week

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 9:57 PM
Modulator

Quote:
I believe it was Biggus that said something about litigation, but I haven't read anything on it. Derby can make Angel's Trumpet a TON of business! It would be a shame if this were true.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I believe it was Biggus that said something about litigation, but I haven't read anything on it. Derby can make Angel's Trumpet a TON of business! It would be a shame if this were true.
Derby would be the perfect cornerstone to that whole intersection and immediate area which includes Angel's Trumpet, Cobra Arcade Bar, Film Bar, Phoenix Public Market, Matt's Big Breakfast, The Velo plus all the other little places I'm probably forgetting. I'd be pretty pissed if I were the other establishments hoping for more dense residential in the immediate area, instead of an empty lot, and one of the places were being a-holes cock-blocking it.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I don't believe that he is killing the deal yet but last I heard he is exercising his air rights pertaining to construction and throwing up every road block he can. The developers are refusing to talk so we'll see what happens with it, my guess is the development is looking less attractive for reasons outside of any battle with Angel's Trumpet. People are starting to see the impending oversaturation and the opportunity to make some quick money is dwindling.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I don't believe that he is killing the deal yet but last I heard he is exercising his air rights pertaining to construction and throwing up every road block he can. The developers are refusing to talk so we'll see what happens with it, my guess is the development is looking less attractive for reasons outside of any battle with Angel's Trumpet. People are starting to see the impending oversaturation and the opportunity to make some quick money is dwindling.
I love Angel's Trumpet, but I am really beginning to hate the owner. Air rights?? It's an adjacent lot in downtown Phoenix. What rights would he have to block a great development like this that the whole community can benefit from. This guy is selfish and seems to complain about everything. I heard a rumor they are building in Arcadia, so maybe they will close the downtown location, which would suck, but the overall net to the community would be positive to see this guy's ass somewhere where he doesn't have to worry about being in an urban area.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 12:54 AM
Skyriser

The Angel's Trumpet owner has a point--if the Derby is constructed as proposed, it will severely limit what he can do with his property.

And the Derby developer is a freaking moron to construct a structure with windows on the property line. I could spit on the highrise they put up next to my office building, but there's still space between them.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 3:42 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
I heard a rumor they are building in Arcadia, so maybe they will close the downtown location, which would suck, but the overall net to the community would be positive to see this guy's ass somewhere where he doesn't have to worry about being in an urban area.

While I have no confirmation of this rumor, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this occurred. The land is much more valuable than the ale house, so for someone who doesn't seem to share the vision of many of his neighbors (although biggus will probably tell us there's a silent majority that agree with him), relocating the business and selling the land would be a logical outcome and not an entirely bad one.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
While I have no confirmation of this rumor, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this occurred. The land is much more valuable than the ale house, so for someone who doesn't seem to share the vision of many of his neighbors (although biggus will probably tell us there's a silent majority that agree with him), relocating the business and selling the land would be a logical outcome and not an entirely bad one.
I want to say the rumored location is around 40th and Indian School. Rumor was from a nearby bar owner.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 5:43 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eimltE...ature=youtu.be

Many have mentioned the horrendous design of Az Center. Video depicts an updated 3rd street retail building and entrance to Amc theater. Overall, it's better than what's there now, though not a fan of the valet parking, I don't know what they would need it for, I don't see Az Center becoming some high-end galleria. Its looks like a mall I went to in Manila.

It's a welcoming sign to see developers break from the prodigious use of earthly tans downtown; the like the glass overhangd and the light sculpture in the courtyard by the AMC entrance. The small building for a restaurant on Monroe is a good idea too. As far as retail, would prefer to see more national retailers here, of course with a generous mix of local breweries, wine bars, cafes. Would prefer a Buffalo Wild Wings over Hooters. An H&M, or some large clothing store to replace what was NY & company. I guess there isn't much opportunity for large brand stores.

*Pipe dream time: when the new Suns area is built, the current one becomes a mall with a museum dedicated to the Suns, Mercury, and Rattlers on the bottom floor where some of the old court is preserved.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 6:05 PM

wow great find!!

Totally better than what is currently there and I, too, like the use of something other than brown tones. 3rd St will look completely different after this is over

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 6:07 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eimltE...ature=youtu.be

Many have mentioned the horrendous design of Az Center. Video depicts an updated 3rd street retail building and entrance to Amc theater. Overall, it's better than what's there now, though not a fan of the valet parking, I don't know what they would need it for, I don't see Az Center becoming some high-end galleria. Its looks like a mall I went to in Manila.

It's a welcoming sign to see developers break from the prodigious use of earthly tans downtown; the like the glass overhangd and the light sculpture in the courtyard by the AMC entrance. The small building for a restaurant on Monroe is a good idea too. As far as retail, would prefer to see more national retailers here, of course with a generous mix of local breweries, wine bars, cafes. Would prefer a Buffalo Wild Wings over Hooters. An H&M, or some large clothing store to replace what was NY & company. I guess there isn't much opportunity for large brand stores.

*Pipe dream time: when the new Suns area is built, the current one becomes a mall with a museum dedicated to the Suns, Mercury, and Rattlers on the bottom floor where some of the old court is preserved.
The valet parking area seems to be a reuse of a space now devoted to loading docks. This video seems to focus heavily on Third Street, which has emerged as the great missed opportunity of the Arizona Center's original design. We don't see anything about Fillmore or Fifth Street and only a little in terms of Van Buren. I'm guessing the Arizona Center's presence along those streets won't change much under this plan. Still, it's an exciting concept for what it will do to Third Street. It's ridiculous that guests at the Sheraton see only blank walls and loading docks across the street from their hotel. Let's hope this plan is actually implemented.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest