HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 5:02 PM

I think we'd all agree about what is free and what is not (nothing is free). What am I to do on the bus when they wont let me pay? Get off? The whole purpose of the protest was to maintain the public's day to day interests, while making it hurt for transit. If they went on strike, there would be zero dollars coming into the city and everyone would be hooped.

If Transit wants to fire them all, have at it. They have cause. But there is probably something in the union agreements about reprimand before firing.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 5:03 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
Transit wasn't free yesterday. The union was working to rule and not enforcing fares, but the fares still applied. Perhaps Millenials aren't stupid, but instead more ethical than others and don't need the threat of getting caught in order to do the right thing and not steal service.

Local media sure refered to it as "may get a free ride on Tuesday".

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 6:16 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

https://winnipegsun.com/news/news-ne...s-legal-antics

Well, since most passengers paid their fare, and this "job action" had little effect, how'd ya like a full-blown, multi-week strike in its place.

Of course the Millennials can just ride their bikes, maybe even buy some groceries and lug them all by bike while a full on strike would take place. Ha!

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I have to agree, If I was working at 7/11 and I told everyone they didn't have to pay for things when they came up to the til you can be sure I would be fired pretty quickly.
A more accurate analogy would be that the 7/11 employee chooses to not chase a guy who takes a slurpee and walks out of the store without paying.

One of the big issues for Transit is fare enforcement, and if that should be part of the driver's job. It isn't in most transit systems. Most have their own officers who handle security issues including fare enforcement.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 12:53 AM

There was a transit officer standing at the front door my whole ride home today, wasn’t chatting with the driver. Someone came on and there was not enough money on her card. She said she had loaded it online (this has happened to me), the officer told her how it takes 48 hours Tokar online (and can’t always check if it worked). He started going off on how awful the system is, both to customers and internally, and what an embarrassment it is for the city.

I like that guy. He was nice and showed her how to turn on auto load.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
A more accurate analogy would be that the 7/11 employee chooses to not chase a guy who takes a slurpee and walks out of the store without paying.

One of the big issues for Transit is fare enforcement, and if that should be part of the driver's job. It isn't in most transit systems. Most have their own officers who handle security issues including fare enforcement.
Actually I think it's a perfect analogy because the employees and their union were literally going around tell people not to pay. At that point it isn't about enforcement and instead willful disobedience.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
There was a transit officer standing at the front door my whole ride home today, wasn’t chatting with the driver. Someone came on and there was not enough money on her card. She said she had loaded it online (this has happened to me), the officer told her how it takes 48 hours Tokar online (and can’t always check if it worked). He started going off on how awful the system is, both to customers and internally, and what an embarrassment it is for the city.

I like that guy. He was nice and showed her how to turn on auto load.
The people at the transit kiosk recommend to never load online. They tell this to everyone and also complain haha

Nothing but problems. I load at the kiosk as it's convenient for me and never have an issue because they load the card right there.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 5:34 PM

Yeah, they say to go to 7-11 because it's immediate. Think about that, a for-profit private company can serve the city's customers better than the city itself. Wild.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I think we'd all agree about what is free and what is not (nothing is free). What am I to do on the bus when they wont let me pay? Get off? The whole purpose of the protest was to maintain the public's day to day interests, while making it hurt for transit. If they went on strike, there would be zero dollars coming into the city and everyone would be hooped.

If Transit wants to fire them all, have at it. They have cause. But there is probably something in the union agreements about reprimand before firing.
I guess in theory you should have noted the bus number and called 311 to report the driver.

It's not like the city is making money off operating transit. They'd likely save money by a strike.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yeah, they say to go to 7-11 because it's immediate. Think about that, a for-profit private company can serve the city's customers better than the city itself. Wild.
It's not like it's 7-11 doing it on their own. You can get the same immediate loading at the transit booth at the library. Operated by the city. Also the system is unique to Winnipeg. Many places have equal delays with online loading. Montreal gets around it by selling a dongle that you hook up to your computer that allows the fares to be loaded immediately.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 6:15 PM

That's where I go, the library. There is also one in Winnipeg square.

Selling a dongle would be fantastic. I'd paid $5 for one. But would def not pay somertihg like $50.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 6:29 PM

Quote:
That's where I go, the library. There is also one in Winnipeg square.

Selling a dongle would be fantastic. I'd paid $5 for one. But would def not pay somertihg like $50.
The OPUS card readers in Montreal go for $15+ tax.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Edmonton Transit is still about 12 mos. away from introducing its frequent transit service. Their online material does not mention route names or numbers though.

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...n-changes.aspx
From your link:

Transit Strategy guiding principles include:

Improve frequency during off peak hours in inner neighbourhoods. This is essential in Winnipeg, route extensions have resulted in decreased service frequencies on the inner and much more heavily travelled portions of routes. More buses can be short-turned.

Make local service more direct and easier to understand. Some of the routings are beyond nonsensical, Check out 16-Island Lakes or 44 Grey.

Focus on peak hour service in outer neighbourhoods and improve frequency of service by allowing for more transfers and longer walking distances in some areas. To a certain degree low density new developments have to be aware that transit will be provided, but with a certain degree of use-it-or-lose-it consideration.

Not sure if Edmonton will use the 10 minute definition for FS such as Toronto uses or the 15 minute definition that Vancouver uses. Sad to say, but almost all of the mainline routes in Winnipeg used to have frequent service at all times and on all days, even Sunday. Portage-East Kildonan buses used to be every 9 minutes late evening and night, now it's every 14 or 15 minutes. Many routes have seen even greater service reductions.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 7:24 PM

44 grey is ridiculous. The part nearer downtown is fine. But the rest is out doing loops in the back 40.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 9:13 PM

I noticed they swapped out the lights on graham and Gary. There is no more green light on graham, it’s been replaced with the transit priority black with a white line.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I noticed they swapped out the lights on graham and Gary. There is no more green light on graham, it’s been replaced with the transit priority black with a white line.
I wonder if they'll do the same at the other end of Graham. Always see people driving in the bus only section.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 1:19 AM

Quote:
I wonder if they'll do the same at the other end of Graham. Always see people driving in the bus only section.
Today about 4:15pm somebody turned off of Hargrave on to east Graham oblivious to all the no turn signs and bus drivers honking and pointing.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Today about 4:15pm somebody turned off of Hargrave on to east Graham oblivious to all the no turn signs and bus drivers honking and pointing.
I sometimes wish we could do retracting bollards like in this video: https://youtu.be/i_Cw0QJU8ro?t=30

Likely wouldn't work here. And it obviously doesn't help against idiot drivers. But it makes it obvious they've done something idiotic.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
When I get on the bus though. They leave the door open until my fare is paid. As in, if I did not pay the fare, they would tell me to get off the bus. Otherwise there's no need for the door to be open. Either way, I'll pay the fare and get on haha. Was just wondering.
Technically the bus should not move when anyone is in front of the yellow line, ie. impairing the operators vision 90 degrees to their right, which is in the highway traffic act. The door is open out of convenience, since the rear door interlock is also engages which helps to keep the bus from moving while stopped. Operator's job does not involve fare enforcement, but can involve reminders.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 1:37 PM

Thanks for the info Kinguni. That makes sense.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan