HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 10:27 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

Provincetown, Massachusetts

Sooo I was going to add the "P-Town" photos to my Boston thread but figured they deserved a spot of their own. As many know, Provincetown has been a gay resort town for quite some time - my husband went on a trip a long time ago which wasn't pleasant, and I had never been

Yes, I was the first openly gay forumer when I joined the SSP forum in 1997 and no, I hadn't made the trek to Provincetown until this year when I turned 50. Don't judge, I've checked many of the boxes on the "if you're gay you have to go to ______"

In addition, we went the week *after* Labor Day; when I mentioned our plans to some friends, they said "oh no, you'll miss the summertime crowds" with a bit of 'oh so sorry' tone. My husband and I heard "miss the crowds" and this was our reaction ---> It wasn't dead by any stretch, and just lively enough that we really enjoyed ourselves without feeling the 'ew, there's too many people/crowds' that we've had visiting some places in prime season. We stayed at the Brasswood Inn, a historic property on the main drag that I'd recommend - pretty much walkable to everywhere in town. I posted a few pics and videos (sorry SSP, time to upgrade!) on my Instagram account if anyone is interested. All that said, there *will* be return trips

To get to Provincetown from Boston, you can drive (eww!) or take the 90-ish minute ferry ride. Wasn't exactly sure what to expect - metal benches and spartan beverage/snack options? Nope, cozy seats and booths AND plenty of options, including Shipyard Brewing's Pumpkin Head - hands down THE best pumpkin beer (a friend who moved from Boston to Cleveland introduced us). So don't judge us for day drinking at 10:30am on vacation One highlight which happened too fast for me to get a photo - we saw a whale breach about 30 minutes into the ride! With the rain, I didn't get too many photos so here's the view when we're a few minutes from docking at Provincetown - the tall structure is the Pilgrim Monument, 252 feet tall.

On the tram/funicular to the base of the monument, here's the view of the bay.

Got our cardio in getting to the top, but worth it!

I get the rainbow flags... the aliens?

"Where... the buoys are..." - the younger forumers might not get the reference.

If you go to P-town, a lot of places serve great lobster dishes. If, like me - you eat your feelings, go to the Lobster Pot; order the Lobster Mac and Cheese and thank me later (and maybe plan extra cardio time at the gym but dear god, sooooooo worth it!).

A very artsy house and yard next to the library:

As I said to the nice lady at the desk - I've seen some really cool libraries and always vote for our local library levy; but a half-size schooner replica? That's just BAD-@SS!

Apparently a private residence - a lovely one:

Whether swimming or boating, the local notices always mention 'mind the tide'. As we were sipping cocktails at Ross's Grill, we were treated to some free entertainment - apparently some young visitors parked their boat a little too close to shore, so we got to see them pushing/rocking/etc. trying to get the boat out of the muck. The next day the boat was gone, so it all worked out.

Charming front yard on the western end:

If I understand correctly - during peak season, Commercial Street is pretty much wall to wall people and that's great for those who prefer it, this is more my speed nowadays:

Walked to Gale Force Bike Rentals and took a quick trip over to Hering Cove Beach - heads up, that water is ICE cold.

Back on the ferry to return to Boston.

You could say it's a maritime kind of place:

And this takes us over to my Boston photo thread - hope you enjoyed.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 10:57 PM

I visited 3 weeks after Labor Day and the vibe was just perfect. Not too crowded but not at all dead. Like you, I prefer much less of a crowd. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay! I hope to return soon.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 1:23 AM

Feels Italian, to some point.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 2:14 AM

In 1982, a coworker and I were on a business trip to New Haven, CT, and decided to take three days off and go to Boston and then Cape Cod. We drove all the way out to Provincetown (huge sand dunes near there) and easily got a place to stay, since it was off season. Another coworker had told us that Provincetown was "artsy" but it didn't hit us what he really meant. So here you had two closeted gay guys who were just business associates, walking along the main street. Even though it was off season, it was still pretty busy. We ducked into a bar to get a beer, not knowing what it was. We got a table and noticed that it was all guys dancing on the floor. We then tried to outdo each other on how open minded we were about it. But then, my coworker said "let's dance" and I said "ok". And the rest is history. It was a great trip.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
In 1982, a coworker and I were on a business trip to New Haven, CT, and decided to take three days off and go to Boston and then Cape Cod. We drove all the way out to Provincetown (huge sand dunes near there) and easily got a place to stay, since it was off season. Another coworker had told us that Provincetown was "artsy" but it didn't hit us what he really meant. So here you had two closeted gay guys who were just business associates, walking along the main street. Even though it was off season, it was still pretty busy. We ducked into a bar to get a beer, not knowing what it was. We got a table and noticed that it was all guys dancing on the floor. We then tried to outdo each other on how open minded we were about it. But then, my coworker said "let's dance" and I said "ok". And the rest is history. It was a great trip.
Love that story!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:47 AM

I love the boat in the library too!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 1:54 PM
Me?!?

Lovely!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
That is an awesome story. I love it. What a great place for that story to take place.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 4:15 PM

Mayday, could you please not take such good pictures? Making Ptown look charming and lovely is only going to drive the crowd numbers up. Heh.

I have a deep and abiding love for Ptown and have been going pretty regularly since 1999, to the point where my husband and I go there every year. We do go in the height of summer for one of the biggest weeks, Carnival, but are now spending 2-3 weeks there so one is crazy and the other more low key. The town used to pretty much close up by the end of September but not keeps humming along (quietly) through the fall and into Christmas time.

The arts history is crazy there. Not just visual arts, but performing arts. From Eugene O'Neil to Tennesses Williams to Norman Mailer, etc.etc. I was in the library once and saw Tony Kushner (who summers there) writing at one of the desks!

The gay history is tied up with the arts history. Naturally.
The landscape of dunes and beaches is beautiful and the light. THE LIGHT is fabulous. An all-enveloping glow in the morning and evening.

I could go on and on about the restaurants and bars and parties, etc.etc., but instead go back up thread and look at Mayday's fantastic pictures again.

It is a truly magical place, especially for LGBT+ people.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
Feels Italian, to some point.
Much of New England has a large Portuguese population so that probably adds a bit to the Mediterranean flair. Although that tower looks straight out of Florence.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDipper 80 View Post
Much of New England has a large Portuguese population so that probably adds a bit to the Mediterranean flair. Although that tower looks straight out of Florence.
Yes

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 2:02 AM

I have many late teen and early 20s memories of P-Town, but few of them are as clear or elegant as the photos here!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 2:14 AM

Mayday, thanks for these and your Boston pics. As you pointed out in your OP, I too cannot believe you hadn't been to Ptown yet!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Love that story!
Thanks! I've told that so many times. It turned out that we sort of suspected each other for a couple of years at the office, but never said anything until Ptown. Haven't been back since.

Oh...we did climb the tower. The view from up there was just incredible.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDipper 80 View Post
I was thinking the same thing about the tower looking straight out of Florence!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 12:08 PM

As a NYC gay it's remarkable that I haven't been yet. It's standard operating procedure if you're a gay man here that you either go north (P-town), east (Fire Island) or south (Rehoboth Beach, DE) on vacation. It looks just as charming as I imagined.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 10:15 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Mayday, thanks for these and your Boston pics. As you pointed out in your OP, I too cannot believe you hadn't been to Ptown yet!
You are most welcome and I was hoping the Boston/Massachusetts crowd would enjoy. Like I said - I've hit up plenty of other spots in my day but for me and P-town, it was the right time and meant to be. I was there with the love of my life, when things were still lively but not crazycrowded so we really got to enjoy it.

Can't say with 100% certainty but it's possible there might be another thread this time next year

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 3:06 AM

Nice pictures! I have an uncle on Cape Cod (Orleans) who is a lobsterman and oysterman. You may have eaten some of his seafood when you were there, since he supplies local restaurants, although he normally supplies Orleans, Eastham, Truro, and Brewster.

Since my uncle works the sea, I can help with explaining a few things, which aren't really unknown or anything, but put the puzzle pieces together.

Herring Cove Beach is probably cold because it's close to the ocean side. If you go to a place like Nauset Beach on the outer cape, it's all ocean water that is notably off of the gulf stream. The gulf stream goes out to sea past Long Island, Block Island, Nantucket, etc. So you don't get water warmed up from down south. Sometimes the water still isn't that bad, but depending on the direction of the wind, you can get an updraft underwater that pushes that cold water up onto shore where everyone swims.

The wind and ocean, by the way, determine everything there. My uncle has bigger problems with hurricanes that pass by way offshore, because it stirs up the ocean and then he has to work offshore in big swells. He would rather have a hurricane pass over directly. The wind direction also determines water temperature, wave size, and air temperature. Cape Cod really sticks out enough into the ocean that it's like an offshore island that happens to be connected to the mainland. I've driven there and had a warm sunny day the whole way up, through Fall River and New Bedford, and then get on the cape and the temperature drops 20 degrees and it gets foggy. The difference between their maritime climate and mainland climate can be pretty profound.

For the bay, it's really shallow. I've walked a mile out from Rock Harbor in Orleans, and I was still in water below my knees. So it's a very gradual slope in the bay, much more so than the Pacific in southern California. When that tide comes in, it doesn't rush, but if you lave a beach chair on a tidal flat and go for a walk for an hour as the tide is coming in, your chair might be half-underwater.

You can see that Pilgrim Monument from Rock Harbor, too, if you look closely on the horizon.

I've only been to Provincetown once, to get a couple beers with a friend after the Beachcomber in Wellfleet was closed for a private event. I want to explore it during the day some time.

Cape Cod is a good place to stargaze. If you leave a town and go to the beach at night, you can pretty easily see the Milky Way.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 4:23 AM

Looking on Google Maps, I think we stayed at what is now the Cape Colony Inn. Anyone familiar with that motel?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos