HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 11:51 PM

but it goes back to the point that 400k prototype homes are not going top be built in the north side neighborhoods we're talking about where they might be considered "affordable" given their neighboring peers. the idea is they would be built on city owned lots in predominantly south and west side neighborhoods where, were they to go up, would instantly be the most expensive home on the block. so it really solves for nothing, other than some token new construction. if youre a middle class family in the market for something in the 200-300k range, none of this speaking to you and youre going to buy the older fixer upper in a non-hip area like you would have otherwise anyway. and frankly that older home is probably going to be better construction anyway.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 12:39 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Right. The entire city does not have an affordable housing crisis. It's the hot or marginal areas that are near hot areas.. which is a common problem in literally every city. There's tons of housing available in the city that is not that expensive. Problem is.. in Chicago, it seems as though when people are looking to move due to these issues, they are sometimes not willing to look at other areas that might not be a hot name. Whether it's where you own or others like a Brighton Park, McKinley Park, etc. I don't know what it is... part of it is maybe outdated information about neighborhoods and outdated advice that north siders seem to follow so much like "don't go south of Roosevelt" and "don't go west of Western."

It sucks to be priced out of your neighborhood and I'm not saying "boo hoo." Areas need to be mixed income to thrive in my opinion, but the cruel reality is that when when there's rules in place, that still happens. It happens everywhere. I'm just saying that when you are actually moving, you sometimes need to expand your boundaries on which neighborhoods to look for and get more up to date information about those areas.

As someone who lives in NYC, a city that does truly have an affordable housing issue, when I see Chicago complain about it, I think "cry me a river. " There are neighborhoods 8 to 10 miles from the center of Manhattan in Queens where a 1 bedroom is still $2000/ month. Condos in Flushing (Queens), 10+ miles away from the center of Manhattan are as expensive as downtown Chicago on average. Chicago does not have this sort of problem necessarily. It has the problem in a handful of neighborhoods, not the entire city.
I'm not sure what homes are going for (SFH or 2-3 flats) in my area (basically Belmont and Pulaski), but it's a well-kept area and seems to still be relatively affordable, as in certainly working-class housing.

I used to live right behind the Jewel Osco essentially at Addison and Broadway, but no way could I afford that apartment any longer. Have a larger, nicer unit for less money out here, not to mention I don't have anywhere near the parking nightmare I used to (even though it's still pretty tight here, to be expected of course.)

Anyhow, just threw this in as an aside to the "don't go west of Western" perception of many prospective Chicago residents. Heh

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 3:37 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
but it goes back to the point that 400k prototype homes are not going top be built in the north side neighborhoods we're talking about where they might be considered "affordable" given their neighboring peers. the idea is they would be built on city owned lots in predominantly south and west side neighborhoods where, were they to go up, would instantly be the most expensive home on the block. so it really solves for nothing, other than some token new construction.
oh yeah, agreed. $400K prefab homes going up on empty lots in north lawndale isn't the solution.

if they could drive the all-in cost down to $200K, then maybe we'd have something.

i was only bringing up our multi-family solution for being able to live in lincoln square in response to your comment about the fetishization of "new! newer!! newest!!!" in the real estate market.

i also happen to think there's a fetishization for SFH's if children are involved (at least among certain demographics). it's not that SFH's are bad or wrong or anything, but we can't all have one if we want to maintain our city's functionally urban, yet family-friendly neighborhoods. small-scale low-rise multi-family (the chicago flat) excels in that department, IMO.

every time a 2-flat gets deconverted, baby jesus cries.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 12, 2019 at 4:10 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 4:30 PM

I was (pleasantly) surprised to see this come up on one of my favorite youtube channels... portrays Chicago in quite a positive light.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
I was (pleasantly) surprised to see this come up on one of my favorite youtube channels... portrays Chicago in quite a positive light.

Video Link
any city can make a "commitment". theyre empty gestures unless actual change occurs and there is actual accontability. all too often, these commitments are made, and then 10 years later completely forgotten about.

case in point

http://interactive.wbez.org/curiouscity/climate-goals/

perfect examples:

Quote:
Goal: Reduce, reuse and recycle 90%of the city’s waste by 2020.

How We Did: Only 9% of residential waste serviced by the city is recycled in Chicago.
Quote:
Goal: Plant one million trees.

How We Did: There were 104,604 trees planted by the Park District, Department of Transportation, and the Department of Streets and Sanitation between 2008 and 2017. However, the data show a net loss during that same period from development and pests.
so what you get is some nice PR immediately following these sorts of announcements. "wow 1 million new trees! chicago is so progressive!" and then here we are in the future and we actually have fewer trees than before and yet, no ones putting out slickly produced videos that reflect that reality, and pointing out the fact chicago is falling behind.

so here we are again. "wow 100% renewable energy by 2040! chicago is so progressive!". what are the odds there is actually a plan and funding in place able to execute on that? id venture close to zero.

its the information equivalent of vaporware (or more accurately, more marketing/propaganda than anything else).

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
oh yeah, agreed. $400K prefab homes going up on empty lots in north lawndale isn't the solution.

if they could drive the all-in cost down to $200K, then maybe we'd have something.

i was only bringing up our multi-family solution for being able to live in lincoln square in response to your comment about the fetishization of "new! newer!! newest!!!" in the real estate market.

i also happen to think there's a fetishization for SFH's if children are involved (at least among certain demographics). it's not that SFH's are bad or wrong or anything, but we can't all have one if we want to maintain our city's functionally urban, yet family-friendly neighborhoods. small-scale low-rise multi-family (the chicago flat) excels in that department, IMO.

every time a 2-flat gets deconverted, baby jesus cries.
Wait why is a prefab house $400k? That's the question, when you can buy new construction houses in suburbs for $250k, built on site? Shouldn't they be significantly cheaper than that?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
any city can make a "commitment". theyre empty gestures unless actual change occurs and there is actual accontability. all too often, these commitments are made, and then 10 years later completely forgotten about.

case in point

http://interactive.wbez.org/curiouscity/climate-goals/

perfect examples:

so what you get is some nice PR immediately following these sorts of announcements. "wow 1 million new trees! chicago is so progressive!" and then here we are in the future and we actually have fewer trees than before and yet, no ones putting out slickly produced videos that reflect that reality, and pointing out the fact chicago is falling behind.

so here we are again. "wow 100% renewable energy by 2040! chicago is so progressive!". what are the odds there is actually a plan and funding in place able to execute on that? id venture close to zero.

its the information equivalent of vaporware (or more accurately, more marketing/propaganda than anything else).
Don't mistake me posting the video to mean I actually believe any of what is said in it will happen. It was just nice to see a Youtube video on Chicago that didn't include murder in the title.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Wait why is a prefab house $400k? That's the question, when you can buy new construction houses in suburbs for $250k, built on site? Shouldn't they be significantly cheaper than that?
Yea, this price doesn't make any sense. You can build houses on-site that are twice the size of that in Florida or Arizona for half the price. What are they doing to make it cost so much lol?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Yea, this price doesn't make any sense. You can build houses on-site that are twice the size of that in Florida or Arizona for half the price. What are they doing to make it cost so much lol?
Compliance with Chicago's absurd building code? They aren't making you hard pipe conduit in the burbs or Florida...

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Compliance with Chicago's absurd building code? They aren't making you hard pipe conduit in the burbs or Florida...
Cheap land and low wages (and untrained workers) for Florida at least. I'd also hope these new Chicago buildings are sturdier than most Florida houses? My childhood neighborhood is visibly falling apart, and it's not even 50 yet. There were abandoned properties even 20 years ago.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, Chicago's building code is extremely expensive. But a pre Fab home for $400k is absurd. And that's before land cost?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 5:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Anybody hear about this?

https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/7/9/...ions-work-stop

Looks like HGTV got into hot water with Chicago's Dept of Buildings

This might cause the show to shut down entirely
Sounds like the show will go on with a new contractor, which seemed to me to be the simple answer.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/7/...-eckhardt-hgtv

Embattled ‘Windy City Rehab’ star to work with new general contractor — raising questions about Chicago co-host’s future

Star Alison Victoria didn’t respond to messages enquiring about the future of her quirky co-host, Donovan Eckhardt, who functioned as general contractor in the show’s first season

By Mitch Dudek Jul 15, 2019, 3:22pm CDT

In her efforts to get back in the good graces of the city after a number of violations and complaints, the star of the hit TV show “Windy City Rehab” announced the show will go on, but she’ll be working with a new general contractor ….

Victoria posted a message to her thousands of followers on Instagram.

“I want you to hear it from me directly that I am working closely with the City of Chicago to repair and amend any and all permits with our new general contractors,” she wrote. “The building department says they are pleased with our efforts and we will continue to work closely together.”

HGTV says the show is one of its most popular new series, claiming 9.3 million viewers in its first month and a half on the air.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 5:57 PM
The City

^ Yep, seems like the obvious solution

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 3:59 AM
devout Pizzatarian

So, I'm confused. Our 2018 property tax bill went DOWN by ~$1,300. Woo-hoo!

I thought all of us northsiders were supposed to be getting slammed with big increases this year.

Instead, we get a big drop! How does all of this wacky property tax bullshit work anyway?

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 18, 2019 at 4:40 AM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 4:56 AM

I am as perplexed as you are, like I said the other day my bill dropped at literally every property except one and my vacant lots which saw a $1.50/yr increase each...

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 12:38 PM
The City

Quote:
So, I'm confused. Our 2018 property tax bill went DOWN by ~$1,300. Woo-hoo!

I thought all of us northsiders were supposed to be getting slammed with big increases this year.

Instead, we get a big drop! How does all of this wacky property tax bullshit work anyway?
That’s because the tax burden is being shifted from homeowners to commercial landlords

But before you celebrate too much, just remember the state of the city’s Finances. They will be coming to reach into your pot before too long. Trust me....

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 12:39 PM
The City

Quote:
I am as perplexed as you are, like I said the other day my bill dropped at literally every property except one and my vacant lots which saw a $1.50/yr increase each...
Your area is so far being left alone. Even further east in Pilsen I’ve been mostly left unscathed (although the taxes are going up)

It’s on the north side (Lakeview, Bucktown, etc) where property owners are getting their asses handed to them.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 2:29 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
But before you celebrate too much, just remember the state of the city’s Finances. They will be coming to reach into your pot before too long.
but i was expecting that to happen this year.

every media outlet in town was talking about how huge tax jumps were coming to northside property owners, and then i get a $1,300 tax decrease!?!

it's not that my property taxes didn't go up that was so shocking to me, it's that they actually went DOWN (by a lot!), when all we heard on the northside was "expect big tax increases this year". WTF?

maybe lincoln square isn't really part of the northside?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 2:32 PM

had an extremely minor increase here

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 2:40 PM
The City

Quote:
but i was expecting that to happen this year.

every media outlet in town was talking about how huge tax jumps were coming to northside property owners, and then i get a $1,300 tax decrease!?!

it's not that my property taxes didn't go up that was so shocking to me, it's that they actually went DOWN (by a lot!), when all we heard on the northside was "expect big tax increases this year". WTF?

maybe lincoln square isn't really part of the northside?
I guess my read of what's been out there was that the brunt of the pain was going to go to commercial landlords because of the formula change that followed the shift from Berrios to Kraegi.

Also, each area gets "reassessed" every 3 years. Often when that happens you'll see a big jump in taxes like what happened in E. Lakeview. I really have no idea when your particular neighborhood is up for reassessment. Anyhow, that's my very basic understanding of how this whole esoteric thing known as Cook County property taxes works...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest