HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 8:22 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Yea, and I don't see how a giant metra station with an indoor mall is going to work here. Sure, if this was central Paris and commuter trains ran every 7 minutes like Paris and are used like a heavy transit line then maybe. Do they not know about Block 37? That was in the heart of the loop, and was empty when it opened. Why do they think a giant indoor mall will work here, it seems really unnecessary. At most they could build a nice new metra stop. What is the current ridership at the 18th street station?

I sure don't want the state to have to chip in $5 billion when we already have several better megaplans in place, in better locations that don't need state funding. Yea, if we were some fast growing sunbelt state with a budget surplus why not, but not when we are billions in debt for the pension black hole.
It's pretty low, lots of trains skip that stop because it's only a local stop (between the two inner local tracks) and the platform is only two cars long so most doors don't open. It also has no elevator up to the 18th St pedestrian bridge and it's a rickety Wild West wooden contraption. But yeah, this means nothing if Metra isn't willing to step up service on the ME line; a direct connection to the L could be useful to distribute Metra riders to the West Loop jobs, or connect Hyde Parkers to the North Side, but they're talking about branching off the Orange Line so... Metra riders could get a direct connection to Midway I guess? It would be much better if they extended the Purple or Brown Line to this site, but that requires a new track connection right where a six-story, 50-unit condo building happens to sit.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 3:12 PM

Wow, so Dantes Pizza 1964 W. Lawrence Avenue closed, and it's just crazy because there's been about 5 restaurants at that location in the last 10 years. It seems like that location is cursed. It seems like a great spot as there's always lots of foot traffic and cars going by, people walking to the train or Marianos.

The pizza was really delicious, you get big pizza slices, the staff was nice and friendly. I don't get why every restaurant there goes under after a year. Dantes has 2 other locations that are doing fine they say. I thought a pizza shop would be a winner there. The only other pizza in the neighborhood is Roots which I don't like and caters to families. Dantes is alot different and better pizza, as I prefer New York style.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 4:38 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post

The only other pizza in the neighborhood is Roots which I don't like and caters to families.
Borelli's (classic chicago style thin crust) is also on the stretch of lawrence.

and Himmel's (also on lawrence) does very nice brick oven pies, and you can also get some sauerbraten too!

and casting the net a little further there's spacca napoli, pizza art cafe, jimmy's (NYC style), I monelli, fat chris''s (Detroit style), lou malnati's, and chicago's pizza not too far away.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Borelli's (classic chicago style thin crust) is also on the stretch of lawrence.

and Himmel's (also on lawrence) does very nice brick oven pies, and you can also get some sauerbraten too!

and casting the net a little further there's spacca napoli, pizza art cafe, jimmy's (NYC style), I monelli, fat chris''s (Detroit style), lou malnati's, and chicago's pizza not too far away.
its also too bad ORD Pizza closed last year. they kind of flew under the radar on Lawrence but had excellent thin crust.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

Haha, ok fair enough, I've never tried Borelli's. I've gone to Himmels for German food so I've never had their pizza either. I love Jimmy's and Spacca Napoli. I don't like pan pizza or deep dish.

I used to always go to Pizza Apart on Montrose, I was really pissed when they closed. Then their location on Broadway closed. Now I go to Pats Pizza in Lincoln Park as it's my favorite thin crust pizza.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
its also too bad ORD Pizza closed last year. they kind of flew under the radar on Lawrence but had excellent thin crust.
agree, never really got hyped but was good

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 7:39 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
its also too bad ORD Pizza closed last year.
i don't know how recent this is, but the ORD Pizzeria website makes it sound like their closure is only temporary:

Quote:
ATTENTION!

O.R.D. Pizzeria is temporarily closed. We are currently working to resolve several structural issues within the business with the building owner, which will allow us to finalize lease negotiations. We are currently under contract (pending lease terms) to reopen with new partners. We will do an extensive remodel as well as update equipment, etc., and we will reopen as a better operation--still serving all of our goodies and a few more! Please follow us here or on Facebook and Twitter for periodic updates. We are excited to return, and we cannot wait to serve you better than ever! Thank you for sticking it out with us.
source: http://www.ordpizzeria.com/

i had never tried their pizza, so can't comment on that, but if they do ever reopen, i'll certainly give 'em a try.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 2:41 AM

Hands down the worst summer in my life... I've given up hope

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 20, 2019 at 2:03 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 3:14 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I like it .. foggy and not too hot.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 12:48 PM
The City

Technically it’s still Spring

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Hands down the worst summer in my life... I've given up hope
if it gives you any comfort at all - it's basically been the same here in NYC if not worse. Lots of rain and just under average temperatures. Since May 15, Chicago has had 15 days at 75 degrees or less whereas here in NYC it's been 19 days at 75 degrees or less. Of course it's high temperatures, so the actual mean temperature of the day has usually been in the 60s. Interestingly, NYC has gotten about 1 inch more rain since May 1 than Chicago

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
if it gives you any comfort at all - it's basically been the same here in NYC if not worse. Lots of rain and just under average temperatures. Since May 15, Chicago has had 15 days at 75 degrees or less whereas here in NYC it's been 19 days at 75 degrees or less. Of course it's high temperatures, so the actual mean temperature of the day has usually been in the 60s. Interestingly, NYC has gotten about 1 inch more rain since May 1 than Chicago

As a runner, it has been a wonderful spring. Cool temps, not too sunny, not too many people out on the running paths. Last summer was terrible. It was hot, muggy, and crowded. On the other hand, that is basically every day on the MTA. It's preparing me for moving to NYC next week.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
As a runner, it has been a wonderful spring. Cool temps, not too sunny, not too many people out on the running paths. Last summer was terrible.
Amen to that. It has been an amazing spring/summer for training.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 20, 2019 at 2:02 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 2:25 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i definitely don't mind the cooler temps, but as a daily bike commuter, the nearly non-stop rain has overstayed its welcome.

i just had yet another rain ride this morning.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 3:14 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
It's preparing me for moving to NYC next week.
You're movin' to New Yawk? The Big Apple? The Top of the Heap? The city that never sleeps? Are you leaving today? Are you spreading the news? Are you going to be a part of it?

Awwwwwww!!!! That toddlin' town Chicago shall miss you...

Good luck and when you return, bring back some foreign billionaire money so that we can build a few more 1000 footers..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 4:18 AM

Chicago tourism ads

Caught this Chicago ad on the Onion site.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1137098403660423169

Hope this loads correctly.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 2:57 PM

totally fine with this weather. rain kinda sucks but totally beats oppressive unending heat waves where you cant even leave the one room in your house with A/C for fear of melting onto the hardwood floor. last few weeks have actually been really nice.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 3:03 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i just turned on our AC for the 1st time yesterday.

making it all the way to june 24th without turning on the A/C is pretty fucking good for chicago.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 5:48 PM

The weather is just hitting it's stride, this week definitely shifting to summer mode with 80 degree temps every day, lots of sun, and a constant threat of random isolated super cells and the occasional squall line. This weather is when Chicago is THE only place worth being on earth.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 7:34 PM

^The humidity has been pretty low too. . . which is nice. . .

. . .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest