HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 3:20 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
The latest concept, more images at the link.
The overall design is OK, but those walls on either side of the south facing windows of the taller tower will really block the peripheral views. Jeeze, they stick out about 20 feet! If I were a tenant, I'd be really unhappy about that.

I also predict kids (or drunk adults) in the pool intentionally splashing the party-goers below.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 3:23 PM

Sorry to slightly hijack the thread, but these slides of a "new" CC proof of concept was presented to the city in March of this year. It's pretty clear IMO that Karlin is building off these (relatively recent) ideas.

https://www.austintexas.gov/edims/do....cfm?id=383631

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 4:57 PM

I absolutely love this proposed project! Great job, hopefully it comes to fruition. Its a game changer.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 5:31 PM
Member since 2001

Karlin does not own the properties on which these towers sit (due west of the current convention center). In fact, several towers are already working through the entitlement process on the properties where these are depicted. None, currently, have an association with Karlin.

However, I do like the idea of incorporating a convention center with these towers.

Last edited by GoldenBoot; Oct 13, 2022 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I'd love this tall gray building on the left. It reminds me of that pyramid tower from back in the Aughts for the MACC site.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Karlin does not own the properties on which these towers sit (due west of the current convention center. In fact, several towers are already working through the entitlement process on the properties where these are depicted. None, currently, have an association with Karlin.

However, I do like the idea of incorporating a convention center with these towers.
You're right based on the info we've all gathered . . . but that still leaves the mystery of why this exists at all. Even if this is an artifact of a different point in time (sometime in late 2021 maybe?) . . . none of our sleuthing indicates that Karlin would've EVER been able to do this. They were always only owners of the original Railyard condos. Those other Western Parcels were always owned by other folks.

Karlin wouldn't have just mocked these up because they felt like it, or it was a fun exercise. At some point this was achievable.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 2:25 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
The overall design is OK, but those walls on either side of the south facing windows of the taller tower will really block the peripheral views. Jeeze, they stick out about 20 feet! If I were a tenant, I'd be really unhappy about that.

I also predict kids (or drunk adults) in the pool intentionally splashing the party-goers below.
They should do the reverse... have the window portion stick out past the concrete walls. They'd still get a version of their intended design scheme, but it would make for a much better interior experience with good views instead of blocked ones.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 1:08 PM

Those renders are gorgeous!!! Crossing fingers we actually get something very similar irl.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin