HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Ultimately, it seems like they're wanting to redevelop the convention center to be more compatible with SXSW as opposed to generic automotive conventions or whatever.
I think this is an important insight, actually. We're not building an expo center to house RVs or boats or cars, or construction machines, or cheerleading squads, or cattle/livestock/etc. It's an urban center and the scale will definitely be city-sized.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I think this is an important insight, actually. We're not building an expo center to house RVs or boats or cars, or construction machines, or cheerleading squads, or cattle/livestock/etc. It's an urban center and the scale will definitely be city-sized.
Which is not a bad thing at all, but it does beg for an alternative which an expansion / re-do of the Exposition Center could provide for the other events you mentioned. I just don't think think that's going to happen or if it did, it would probably not be very popular due to the location. But it would be appropriate for those type of venues since the attendees to such events would not necessarily be staying long enough to require extended stay and the use of downtown hotels. Those events tend to be travelling dog and pony shows that cater to the local areas they are presenting to. I'm guessing the majority of the attendees would be day trippers who would at least enjoy the use of the surface parking despite the location. The main inconvenience would be to the venders. Its plausible to take care of everyone. Of course there needs to be the need to accommodate those other venues, money to pay for the renovations and a popular push to get it done. And it needs to be financially viable. I'm too ignorant to think this wouldn't work.
Oops, this post probably should have been in the convention center expansion thread.

Last edited by the Genral; Aug 21, 2020 at 6:09 PM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 9:18 PM

I don't get this place sometimes. This is 'skyscraperpage' and here we have a proposal for a building that would be the current tallest in the city and yall are against it because of how it would effect a convention center expansion? What the hell?

Love the height and the texture and helps balance the eastern half of the skyline when looking from South Congress bridge. Win win win

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
I don't get this place sometimes. This is 'skyscraperpage' and here we have a proposal for a building that would be the current tallest in the city and yall are against it because of how it would effect a convention center expansion? What the hell?
We've been spoiled with the current batch of proposals. People have gotten their standards too high.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 9:33 PM
Rundberg & I35

Quote:

Love the height and the texture and helps balance the eastern half of the skyline when looking from South Congress bridge. Win win win
Hah....I have the same reaction....as long as the street level design ends up being well thought out and designed this is a huge win for skyscraper fans. Other cities would be ecstatic with a proposal like this!

The roofline of this building is the only boring part...it's got a huge section that juts out and the glass panels are layered in a feather like fashion unlike any other building downtown.... A city like Columbus or San Antonio would kill for a building like this.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I guess we're pretending that this one is still happening.

reposted

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 10:49 PM
Meh

It's just so...New York canyon bury worthy. This is going to be a 723 foot tall wall in downtown. Make it easier on the eyes.

Again, the height is awesome, and I like the color, the texture, the slanted window panes, but the shape of this thing is boring and brutal.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MygDegUIARDLAQ

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 1:44 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I mean I care about the convention center to a point, but only because a healthy convention center helps bring a healthy downtown. On the other hand, if 700'+ buildings are popping up everywhere, it sounds like downtown is healthy.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 2:29 AM

Quote:

Welcome to conventioncenterpage.com!

I don’t get it either.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 2:55 AM
JACKinBeantown

It looks like a three-year-old was playing with the leftover Legos.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 2:58 AM
クラブトクヨ

I like the design. I guess I am weird? Honestly this could easily be in Tokyo. Not as a flagship or anything but just an everyday building. Whats the big deal?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
I like the design. I guess I am weird? Honestly this could easily be in Tokyo. Not as a flagship or anything but just an everyday building. Whats the big deal?
It's ugly.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 3:42 AM
クラブトクヨ

Ugh so negative! This forum is getting on my nerves lately. We are literally a 2 million metro city..... the amount of projects even being suggested or constructed during a disaster of a pandemic is amazing. We are spoiled.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 3:54 AM

Quote:
I thought 6X was the tallest and is u/c. This is just a proposal. And I'm not opposed to it due to its effect on the convention center expansion, I'm against it because of the effect it will have on my eyes. This thing will not win any beauty contests and I'd hate to see it block out some of the nicer buildings from any angle. I'm loving the thought of another 700 + footer added to the skyline, but not at the expense of stepping back in terms of another blocky, lego looking building when something more elegant could be erected there. This is another function over aesthetics building. See 3rd and Shoal for example. I for one am not that desperate to gain a 700 footer that looks like this just to say we have another 700 footer. We still seem to be 2nd tier city that doesn't seem worth the investment needed for incredible, thoughtful and imaginative architecture. We do have some decent ones coming along and just when I think we are starting to see some serious improvement in architecture, this comes along. We deserve better. And we do have the right to be picky even if there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. I've been here almost 40 years and I'm still waiting for a scraper that will blow my mind. 6X, 5C, Republic, Indeed are all close, but don't blow my mind. I find this design to be insulting, it does nothing to try to fit in and reflect Austin, other than to imitate some of the mediocrity and repetitiveness we already have here. Shame on them.

Last edited by the Genral; Aug 22, 2020 at 4:16 AM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East7thStreet View Post
Other cities would be ecstatic with a proposal like this!

A city like Columbus or San Antonio would kill for a building like this.
No offense to them but shouldn't we have higher standards than cities like Columbus or San Antonio?

All of y'all calling us spoiled are right but so what? Austin is what it is partly because we actually care about our urban center (and what's built there). These developers should be expected to be more creative than to reuse the same old glass box idea. It's just not interesting.

In most cases, I'd rather nothing get built rather than something ugly or boring. We're not going to get a second chance to develop these lots.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Ugh so negative! This forum is getting on my nerves lately. We are literally a 2 million metro city..... the amount of projects even being suggested or constructed during a disaster of a pandemic is amazing. We are spoiled.
But how boring would this be if we all agreed with each other all of the time. Its really not about being positive or negative, its more about personal tastes, likes or dislikes. I agree with you that it is amazing, but I am starting to lean towards quality over quantity as we will run out of spaces to build on eventually. And I probably would only have about 100 posts instead of 3000 if I only posted "I likey" posts

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 1:33 PM

Quote:
It is quite bewildering.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 1:36 PM

Meet Block 16, a Downtown Austin Tower Plan Surprising Enough for 2020

https://austin.towers.net/meet-block...ough-for-2020/

In the blissful before-times of October 2019, as we unwittingly approached the conclusion of what we’re now calling the pre-pandemic era, we learned all about an office tower in the works downtown that would occupy the southern half of Block 16 in Austin’s original city plan — in other words, the...

There are some comparison pictures to the old T. Stacey 6th & Congress ghost tower.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 1:42 PM

third + shoal is an incredibly unfortunate situation. let's not put this in that bucket.

that said this is a no from me, silver lining is at least it is black which is different

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 3:22 PM

So brutalist, but not CHEAP... like third & shoal.

I can understand the complaints with the style + the prominent height. Good lord that black marble on the base is such a breath of fresh air though! It DOES follow the current Austin aesthetic in the sense it's kind of without much character or soul. I guess I've just become used to that look all around downtown

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin