HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbud View Post
I know T5 is in the middle of it's transformation and that Delta will be moving there. But why hasn't work started to prepare or begin construction of the 2nd satellite? I know the first satellite might get in the way of T2 now. Also, what is the timing for Delta to move to T5? I read a while ago, that it was in 2022. But wouldn't that take gate space away if they move before T5 construction is complete? With Delta and Southwest in T5, int'l processing will be limited to any growth until the entire ORD21 project is complete.
Delta will move when the expansion is complete and ready for service, which will be next year. I think permits issued for their new club buildout in T5 recently.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 4:20 AM
Rust Belt Motherland

Wow it's a miracle!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/o-...ule/ar-AAQ6QMa

O’Hare ‘people mover’ to reopen, nearly 3 years behind schedule
Quote:
The train is set to reopen within the month, Chicago Department of Aviation spokeswoman Christine Carrino said. She declined to provide further specifics until an announcement event Tuesday.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 1:01 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
Wow it's a miracle!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/o-...ule/ar-AAQ6QMa

O’Hare ‘people mover’ to reopen, nearly 3 years behind schedule
Huzzah!!!

Seriously though, I'm glad to hear that the ATS is finally about to reopen. I've had friends come in and out of T5 (they flew Southwest), and it's quite a pain in the ass to get from T5 to Blue Line without it. Let's just say Uber/Lyft were preferred alternatives for getting them back to the airport for their flights.

The signage at O'Hare is not set up for those shuttle buses. The signage for the bus stops isn't good at all, so even for me it was confusing. Glad it;s coming to an end and the train is about to be back online.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 1:56 PM

Oh thank god. Please let it open for Thanksgiving travel out of selfish reasons.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 2:44 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i'm glad it's finally reopening, but man, what an utterly embarrassing debacle of a project.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 11:20 AM

More ORD cargo overflow heading to RFD. Korean Air, five flights a week.
https://www.wifr.com/2021/11/01/rfd-...ne-korean-air/
Chicago Bears, Super Bowl Champs 1985.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 6:38 PM
1st Ward

^ I think this is a good thing. Open up runway space for more passenger flights. Cargo can be trucked from Rockford just like it can be trucked from ORD. And as long as this business activity stays in the state and greater Chicagoland region overall, its all good.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockfordSoxFan View Post
More ORD cargo overflow heading to RFD. Korean Air, five flights a week.
https://www.wifr.com/2021/11/01/rfd-...ne-korean-air/
I think those are additional flights added to the Chicago area, not instead of ORD. Great news as Chicago/Rockford are becoming even bigger cargo hubs for North America.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 2:33 AM
1st Ward

Brand new flights? Even better!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 2:57 PM

A little history.

A certain DHL hub in Ohio was built as the new Flying Tigers(pre Fed Ex merger) hub back in the 1980's when FT left ORD. They did it due to costs at ORD and a better deal from Ohio. Now Rockford is clawing back and taking cargo business from other parts of the country along with O'hare and regaining it's share. Can you imagine how big ORD and RFD would be if that Ohio hub had never been built!!!

Lesson for Chicago, you have to be competitive with other markets or you will loose the business atleast for awhile.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 10:01 PM

Yes, sorry, I should have clarified. Not taking anything away from ORD, but in addition to ORD's cargo flights. These 5 are in addition to the weekly flights to/from Shanghai and Frankfort, all new to the region in the last few months.
Chicago Bears, Super Bowl Champs 1985.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 5:07 PM

British Airways A380 coming back to Chicago in the spring??

Just happened to notice something very interesting.

British Airways recently updated the destination list for their A380s. Washington was removed from the list, being replaced with Singapore.

More importantly though, Chicago still remains on the list, however, there aren't currently any A380 flights to Chicago scheduled on BA according to Google Flights. So is British Airways planning on bringing the A380 back to Chicago this spring, but just hasn't scheduled the flights yet?

Here's the link to the British Airways A380 destination list: https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...on/airbus-a380

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 9:58 PM

Uh. . . stupid question. . . but why does it look like O'hare has abandoned Parking lot E (this is the long term parking where the ATS used to terminate prior to the MMF)? I've heard speculation that new runway 9C has something to do with it, but what gives? There's a LOT of space there and the ATS runs right through it now between T5 and the MMF. . . all other long term parking is still served via shuttle bus. . .

. . .

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 1:20 PM

Airborne shot of O'hare taken in mid October:

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10357260

Also parking info about E in post #731:

https://www.airliners.net/forum/view...f424&start=700

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Uh. . . stupid question. . . but why does it look like O'hare has abandoned Parking lot E (this is the long term parking where the ATS used to terminate prior to the MMF)? I've heard speculation that new runway 9C has something to do with it, but what gives? There's a LOT of space there and the ATS runs right through it now between T5 and the MMF. . . all other long term parking is still served via shuttle bus. . .

. . .
Isnt some low rise commercial including hotel planned for that space on Lot E?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 3:37 AM
devout Pizzatarian

I read that United is the ending a bunch of regional jet service on under performing routes from ORD to Wausau, Evansville, Kalamazoo, Lansing and Columbia, MO.

Those aren't terribly important routes, and they're all also covered by American from ORD, but I don't like seeing O'Hare lose feeder service as the great Midwest air travel funnel.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I read that United is the ending a bunch of regional jet service on under performing routes from ORD to Wausau, Evansville, Kalamazoo, Lansing and Columbia, MO.

Those aren't terribly important routes, and they're all also covered by American from ORD, but I don't like seeing O'Hare lose feeder service as the great Midwest air travel funnel.
Wouldn't part of this also be because United is going to be transitioning away from the 50 seat regional jets to more 737 Maxes as the aircraft from their big order start to come in? Chicago is like their top hub for these regional aircraft, so this probably is because the destinations don't have enough demand and/or aren't equipped for a bigger aircraft.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
Wouldn't part of this also be because United is going to be transitioning away from the 50 seat regional jets to more 737 Maxes as the aircraft from their big order start to come in? Chicago is like their top hub for these regional aircraft, so this probably is because the destinations don't have enough demand and/or aren't equipped for a bigger aircraft.
This is the real reason. The 50 seaters are largely going away and if the market isn't large enough to support a larger plane it is getting cut. United has said they plan to grow significantly in the next 5-10 years and that is going to require them stop using so much valuable gate space on small birds.

So on one hand it sucks to lose a spoke like Kalamazoo but if that is freeing up space for new flights like the recently announced Milan, I'll take that trade any day.

On a side note, their new 50 seat CRJ-550 planes are great. They normally seat 70-78 passengers but United is only putting 50 seats in them, using the extra space for storage closets for rollaboards and a snack bar.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

Gee if only there was another transit that could bring mid market travelers to a hub cities for their long distance air travel.https://hsrail.org/

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 3:11 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
This is the real reason. The 50 seaters are largely going away and if the market isn't large enough to support a larger plane it is getting cut. United has said they plan to grow significantly in the next 5-10 years and that is going to require them stop using so much valuable gate space on small birds.

So on one hand it sucks to lose a spoke like Kalamazoo but if that is freeing up space for new flights like the recently announced Milan, I'll take that trade any day.

On a side note, their new 50 seat CRJ-550 planes are great. They normally seat 70-78 passengers but United is only putting 50 seats in them, using the extra space for storage closets for rollaboards and a snack bar.
Plus, it's literally just over a 2-hour drive to Kalamazoo, with a LOT less hassle than flying there

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation