HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 7:32 PM
Me?!?

Talking Study: The Rudest Cities in America

Another one of those fun arbitrary and subjective lists we all know and love but this one was entertaining to me (and yes I can confirm that many people talk on speakerphone here and it is pretty strange, especially when overhearing some very personal and what normally should be embarrassing conversations ha ha):

https://preply.com/en/blog/rudest-cities/

For those who travel often, experiencing cultural mismatches can be common. Even among cities in the same country, there are differences in local traditions, behaviors, mannerisms, and sayings that can affect our opinions of a place.

We surveyed over 1,500 residents of the 30 largest metropolitan areas in the U.S. and asked them about the rudeness level of their city, including the prominence of certain typically rude behaviors, to help travelers determine what to expect when visiting. Respondents also answered questions about cultural differences abroad.

Key findings
-The rudest U.S. cities include Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Memphis, Tennessee, and New York City, New York, according to their own residents.
-The most common rude behaviors in the US include people being absorbed by their phones, refusing to let people merge in traffic, and being noisy in shared spaces.
-Memphis ranked highest in five common rude behaviors, the most of any city.
-Of the total respondents, 76% agree that Americans tend to act rudely when traveling abroad, even if it’s unintentional.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 7:42 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Of course Houston would be the asshole of TX cities.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 7:50 PM

In Vegas you're basically just interacting with the country/world. Hardly anyone that you would interact with as a visitor actually lives there.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 7:53 PM

Timely for this meme I saw trending yesterday lol:

Holds partially true through the results of the survey

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 8:05 PM

Never, in a million years, would I have guessed Philly at #1.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 8:28 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I am from Austin and people tell me I am overly obnoxiously nice all the time.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 8:36 PM
E pluribus unum

Wear blue and yellow in Columbus and report back how polite they are...

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Another one of those fun arbitrary and subjective lists we all know and love but this one was entertaining to me (and yes I can confirm that many people talk on speakerphone here and it is pretty strange, especially when overhearing some very personal and what normally should be embarrassing conversations ha ha):
Austin is most "polite" ?? Unless people consider being up ones own ass "Polite"

Chicago being polite also strains my imagination.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 8:55 PM
Brooklyn/Philly/Nashvegas

[QUOTE=EastSideHBG;9716742]Another one of those fun arbitrary and subjective lists we all know and love but this one was entertaining to me (and yes I can confirm that many people talk on speakerphone here and it is pretty strange, especially when overhearing some very personal and what normally should be embarrassing conversations ha ha):

https://preply.com/en/blog/rudest-cities/

LOL!!! People often get Philly and New York wrong: In Philly they just tell you the truth as they see it and lots of people think that's "rude." Really they're just being practical and not wasting time with a whole lot of stroking; it's prolly a Quaker and German-influence thing In New York we just don't want you wasting our time, but if you ask a New Yorker for directions, all of a sudden there are three folks trying to give you (and often arguing over) the best directions.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 8:59 PM

The larger the city, the less tolerance for people's BS. I actually appreciate it to some degree.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Austin is most "polite" ?? Unless people consider being up ones own ass "Polite"

Chicago being polite also strains my imagination.
Chicago is a polite city. most people here knows there's a potential for escalation from any slight disagreement so people here keep it nice. From my experience living in California people were more prone to be outwardly rude as they didnt fear that potential for escalation from my experience. Also ive seen it numerous times in downtown where tourist families get on the wrong train to the hood where the locals let them know theyre on the wrong train.

Last edited by Chisouthside; Aug 30, 2022 at 9:03 PM. Reason: adding

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 9:13 PM

this is horeshit.
in other words, residents of Philly say Philly residents are the rudest? that doesn't mean we are. it just means that we *think* we are, and take some perverse pride in that.
if you're going to try to rate a city's rudeness or politeness, it should be done by people from other cities. it's too subjective to have residents rate themselves in terms of how they are perceived by others.
Also I like that Philly falls within the "Acts mean / Is Nice" part of the map. I think that's accurate.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 9:16 PM

Honolulu never makes it on these types of lists.

People in Hawaii are always so nice.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisouthside View Post
Chicago is a polite city. most people here knows there's a potential for escalation from any slight disagreement so people here keep it nice. From my experience living in California people were more prone to be outwardly rude as they didnt fear that potential for escalation from my experience. Also ive seen it numerous times in downtown where tourist families get on the wrong train to the hood where the locals let them know theyre on the wrong train.
Chicago is not a polite city. Phoenix is 11 and people dont even honk their goddamn horns here.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 9:33 PM

Where is Minneapolis? Surely its one of the 30 biggest metro areas?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilcapo View Post
Where is Minneapolis? Surely its one of the 30 biggest metro areas?
Atlanta and Miami are also absent.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 9:40 PM
你的媽媽

Faster pace cities generally have ruder people, since they have places to be, things to do. Most people don't have time to stand around and hear your life story.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 9:41 PM
BANNED

Many in NY have a culture that prides itself on rudeness. This is from The Times of Israel, so no one can allege that it’s racist.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel...with-that/amp/

Israelis are blunt and rude. You got a problem with that?
While startling to many immigrants and visitors, the aggressive arguing and disdain for lines is part of Israel's cultural DNA

By SAM SOKOL

16 November 2018, 11:04 am
Israelis are blunt and rude. You got a problem with that?
(Lior Zaltzman via JTA)

JTA — A couple of months ago I was waiting to use an ATM near my house, flicking through Twitter as the line inched its way forward. Finally, after about 10 minutes and several tweets, I reached the machine and was getting ready to insert my card when an Israeli man ran over from the corner, some 15 yards away, and tried to cut in front of me.

“What are you doing?” I demanded….

This is from The Jewish Independent.

Is interrupting inherently Jewish (and inherently rude)?

By Mira Fox
March 05, 2021
Are Jews just inherently rude? The stereotype — whether employed in “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” or applied to Bernie Sanders — is that Jews speak over each other, shout and interrupt. Sanders even got in trouble for it, people complaining that he shouted too much during his campaign, while Jews on Twitter leaped to his defense.

The topic dominated Twitter again recently when freelance journalist Erin Biba posted a TikTok video to Twitter. In the video, a user named Sari, who goes by the handle @gaydhdgoddess on TikTok, explained a linguistic pattern called “cooperative overlapping.” This, she explained, happens when speakers interrupt one another as a way to convey engagement.…

https://forward.com/culture/465321/i...-tannen/?amp=1

Last edited by JMKeynes; Aug 30, 2022 at 10:00 PM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Many in NY have a culture that prides itself on rudeness. This is from The Times of Israel, so no one can allege that it’s racist.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel...with-that/amp/

I have been to Isreal and they will tell you Isrelis are rude, I didn't really buy it until a little old lady just cut in front of me when taking to long to decide on an order and nobody found that odd

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 10:02 PM

Here is what they list as the ten most common rude behaviors:

Being absorbed by phone in public
Not letting people merge in traffic
Not slowing down around pedestrians
Being noisy in public
Not acknowledging strangers
Watching videos in public
Talking on speaker in public
Closed off body language
Not respecting personal space
Being rude to service staff

Some of that stuff is definitely what I'd call rude, but some of that is also commonplace and even defensible behavior. Everybody, everywhere, is buried in their phones. "Closed-off body language" can be a solid strategy for women and other vulnerable people in public spaces, buses, and trains. And not acknowledging strangers? What are we supposed to do on the sidewalk, personally greet everyone we see? Wink? Stare?

And what's up with Memphis? It's not even that large a city or metro.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions