HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 5:37 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Arrow MISSISSAUGA | Exchange District | 761, 659, 446, 315 FT | 72 + 60 + 42 + 30 FL

The following is a 4 building multi-phase project in the growing "downtown" area of Mississauga, right by the mall known as Square One.
Exchange District renders by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr
There will be 4 condominiums towers rising over the site of a (now) former office building and parking lot. Construction hasn't begun per se, but the existing office building has been demolished as of last year and significant work has been made in excavation:

I took the following images of the pit 2 days ago, this will be a VERY substnatial development for this area. (Sept 9th)
Construction and Matches by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr
Construction and Matches by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 6:37 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
its a less-ugly version of 15 penn

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 1:56 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Taken today

A set of cranes has appeared for both towers, this is definitely starting construction now:
Construction in Toronto Township by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 2:36 AM

Very tall for a suburb. Is there a zoning height limit for this area?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 3:59 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
Very tall for a suburb. Is there a zoning height limit for this area?
Frankly, there is none. Sometimes city council will decide to limit the height of buildings, but it depends on context more than anything. Also...said context can be rather meaningless. They approved a 260+ metre tall building which is now under construction thats across the street from a subdivision.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
Frankly, there is none. Sometimes city council will decide to limit the height of buildings, but it depends on context more than anything. Also...said context can be rather meaningless. They approved a 260+ metre tall building which is now under construction thats across the street from a subdivision.
Interesting thanks! Definitely adding Mississagua to my watch list. Apartments on higher floors command higher values than one on lower floors, so I would not be surprised to see more of these tall condo towers rise.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 4:27 AM

They draw a lot of buildings surrounding the project that don't exist yet, maybe not even proposed yet, replacing parking lots and garages and undeveloped land, so don't be fooled by those renderings. Mississauga City Centre is not so highly developed yet.

That said, I wouldn't say this particular project doesn't fit its context. High rise buildings have been built around here since the 70s, and there are similar recent projects nearby. It is also near a major transit hub which is served by BRT and soon an LRT that is currently under construction.

This project is actually replacing an old office building from the 60s that recently got demolished and parking lot around it. I would have preferred an office building get replaced by another office building, because there are already enough condos here, right? But better than nothing I guess.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 4:41 AM
Midtowner since 2K

This project is a good fit for the area, the context and location justifies substantial intensification. I just refer to more agressive proposals when I say context can be meaningless....some of the new ones on Eglinton and Hurontario are a bit agressive, which might anger some homeowners/residents. I personally don;t mind it, even if it looks a bit strange seeing 30-40 floor buildings rise next to subdivisions. (That's why I really like the PSV masterplan....the height stepping back from the nearby subdivision is both visually pleasing but also less jarring in a place like Mississauga which si trying to grow a downtown from fields.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
This project is a good fit for the area, the context and location justifies substantial intensification. I just refer to more agressive proposals when I say context can be meaningless....some of the new ones on Eglinton and Hurontario are a bit agressive, which might anger some homeowners/residents. I personally don;t mind it, even if it looks a bit strange seeing 30-40 floor buildings rise next to subdivisions. (That's why I really like the PSV masterplan....the height stepping back from the nearby subdivision is both visually pleasing but also less jarring in a place like Mississauga which si trying to grow a downtown from fields.
I have made a photo thread on SSP showing some of the older high-rises here that are basically in the backyards of detached houses. Maybe that is going to a bit too far. At least some transition is a good idea.

The Eglinton corridor in general was originally a lot more ambitious in terms of height and density, and was actually once designated as a "major transit corridor" along with Hurontario and Dundas. If the city was more aggressive in fulfilling their plans for Eglinton, there would have been less need to worry about anger from homeowners. It is too bad.

Maybe these supertall condo towers are more a result of that lack of ambition and lack of aggressiveness than a result of being ambitious and aggressive. If the City was actually serious about high density and transit from the beginning, such extreme height would not be needed now to make up for so much low density built in the past.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 5:46 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Maybe these supertall condo towers are more a result of that lack of ambition and lack of aggressiveness than a result of being ambitious and aggressive. If the City was actually serious about high density and transit from the beginning, such extreme height would not be needed now to make up for so much low density built in the past.
I had no idea Eglinton was envisioned that way by the City. I suppose after that plan fell away, hey just expanded the roadways more and went ahead with various other projects like ensuring several roads coud serve to transport many cars at once (Mavis does a good job of that...and considering Mavis was only extended past Eglinton around 1990...I can only figure that was done to alleviate traffic pressures on NS streets in the future.

I do agree with your point. Mississauga's in some ways really following the path of Toronto (or I suppose they always have really...) with high density sites next to lowrise neighbourhoods, which at the time would've been quite new when many of the apartment buildings went up.

I think the city was just going with whatever developers planned in those days really. I do wish the city was more agressive with density in the last twenty years....there's been many new SFH built near Eglinton and Hurontario which is not much denser than anything built 30 or 40 years ago now. While I can praise the city for allowing placed like Meadowvale to develop, and include multiple housing types, I still wish they were more agressive to push density in newer subdivisions.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 5:42 AM
Midtowner since 2K

I took this three days ago...it's beginning to get quite big already, just because o much of the adjoining land is just grass and parking lots:
Cranes and Construction by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 6:12 AM

Thanks, GeneralLee. With all that's going on in Toronto proper, it's easy to forget about The Sausage.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 5:37 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Thanks, GeneralLee. With all that's going on in Toronto proper, it's easy to forget about The Sausage.
Thanks! I just want to keep a record of what's going on in this area in particular, there's a ton of construction coming to this area again so it's interesting seeing this place change for hopefuly the better.

I live in Toronto, so getting out here to update projects isn't very easy anymore.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 5:39 PM
Midtowner since 2K

I took these yesterday. It's so strange to see something this big going up here, in what is still a very suburban area:
A Good Monday by Draulerin Photographics, on FlickrA Good Monday by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr
A Good Monday by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 2:56 AM
Midtowner since 2K

I took this while in the area today. The towers are now getting to a point where they're visibility is getting notable, like the most important public "square" in the city, by city hall:
Mississauga, Monday by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 10:05 PM
Midtowner since 2K

These two towers are getting quite big. I took this two days ago:
Large Projects in Downtown Mississauga by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr
And this was taken three days ago:
Large Projects in Downtown Mississauga by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 9:44 PM
Midtowner since 2K

I took this yesterday, cladding has begun at the base, it looks pretty decent:
Construction at MCity, May 2nd. by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr
Construction by Square One, May 2nd. by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr
This is from two days ago:
Construction at MCity, May 2nd. by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 10:35 PM
Midtowner since 2K

I took this yesterday whilst in the area. There's 3 cranes now onsite for the first 3 of what will be 4 towers (first phase*) for the Exchange District Condos project, I believe the 232M tower just got it's crane technically.
Cranes, Mississauga, June 13th by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 2:25 AM
Hong Kong

9/30

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 11:15 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Tower 1 is nearly complete, and tower 2 is nearly halfway there I believe
Mississauga DVLPMT, J2 by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr
They're fairly big as is due to the nature of the site and lack of highrises in the immediate area on this side of Burnamthorpe (big 6-7 lane road)
Mississauga DVLPMT, J2 by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction