HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

39 West 23rd in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 12:10 PM
BANNED

Smile NEW YORK | 39 West 23rd Street | 322 FT | 25 FLOORS

The July 1, 2011 WSJ reports that the beautiful tower by Carlos Zapata, which was previously planned at 39 W. 23rd Street, is about to start construction.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 5:30 PM
Website Manager

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 6:45 PM
BANNED

I didn't have a chance to read the rules re: posting articles yet, so I didn't put the link in. This will be a very beautiful tower.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 1:36 PM

I agree this could be a real beauty, sort of reminds me of 400 Park Ave South which I also adore and hope will be built.

Source NYCurbed.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 9:51 PM
Website Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I didn't have a chance to read the rules re: posting articles yet, so I didn't put the link in. This will be a very beautiful tower.
You are free to link to articles, the rules only cover posting the article text in the forum.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 11:53 PM
BANNED

Thanks, Dylan.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 2:41 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Smile

Another thing you forgot, RW; the New York smiley:

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 5:22 AM
Website Manager

That's in now

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 6:11 AM
New Yorker for life

Another sign of things picking up...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 6:16 AM
BANNED

I agree. This will sell out ASAP for around $2k/sf.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2011, 6:48 PM
BANNED

Smile NEW YORK | 39 w 23rd St. | FT | 23 FLOORS | On-Hold

Zombie Zapata Lives!

Chelsea tower comes back to life.

by Alan G. Brake

While the real estate market in New York never stalled as fully as it did in the rest of the country, many projects went on ice. One that seemed unlikely to be revived, a 20-story tower on 23rd street designed by Carlos Zapata, is coming back to life. Initially planned as a hotel by Horizon Global, Abnau Enterprises acquired the lot 39-41 West 23rd for $18.5 million and plans to build the Zapata design as condominiums with ground floor retail.“Anbau Enterprises’ development philosophy is to create architecturally distinguished buildings that make positive contributions to their neighborhoods. In the case of 39-41 West 23rd Street, we have the ability to bring a brilliant design to life and deliver exceptional, sustainable homes to a neighborhood that is becoming a true 24/7 community,” wrote Barbara van Bueuren and Stephen Glascock, principals at Abnau, in an email. The company is also developing nearby 124 West 23rd, in the belief that Chelsea/Flatiron will continue to perform well as a high-end residential area.

Located in the Ladies Mile Historic district, the Zapata design received approval from the Landmarks Preservation Commission in 2005, which was a major incentive for the developers to retain the scheme. “We really like the design and we have a good working relationship with the architect. This is great news for us since the site is in a landmarked district,” Glascock and van Bueuren wrote. “To change the design would mean going through a new two-year-plus approval process with uncertain results.”

The design respects the existing streetwall with a contextually scaled base, topped with an angled glass-clad tower reminiscent of Zapata’s Cooper Square Hotel. “It was important for the Commission and our team to arrive at a set of rules on which to evaluate the design,” Zapata wrote in an email. “Ultimately, we agreed that the design had to be consistent with the evolution of styles in the district, that the building should be representative of our times and make use of modern technologies, and that the design should maintain a level of quality consistent with the best buildings of the district.”

http://www.archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=5556

Old Posted Aug 13, 2011, 8:57 PM

Glad to see this got its own thread. This could be a real gem if it's executed well. I don't like this as much as 400 Park Ave South, but should be a great addition the 23rd Street and the city as a whole.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 4:26 PM

I wonder when they plan to move forward with construction. New York needs more buildings like this one.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 12:33 PM
BANNED

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/re...ref=realestate

Square Feet | The 30-Minute Interview
Barbara van BeurenBy VIVIAN MARINO
Published: December 1, 2011

Ms. van Beuren, 55, is a managing partner of Anbau Enterprises, a Manhattan developer that specializes in for-sale residential real estate. The company’s projects have included 110 Central Park South and 120 West 72nd Street.

Ms. van Beuren, a registered architect who once ran her own firm, manages the business with her husband, Stephen Glascock, the company founder.

Interview conducted and condensed by VIVIAN MARINO

Quote:
Q Speaking of building, have you considered expanding into the hot rental market?

A Our business model has really been to build and sell, though at this point we would really like to diversify a little bit, and if we could find a rental property we’d be interested, definitely.

We would love to do rentals. But you need a certain size building — at least 100,000 square feet — to really make it viable, and today we just really haven’t found the property at the right price. Many of our buildings are really too small to justify as rentals.

Q Is business good?

A It’s good for certain segments of the residential market, and that segment would really be high-end properties that are well located and well constructed. Those that have come on the market recently — and there haven’t been a lot — have just flown out the window. So we’re confident our project on 124 West 23rd Street will fit the criteria.

Q Tell me about that project.

A That one is 40 units; it’s a 16-story building. We plan to start sales at the end of February, beginning of March, and have construction completed by June.

Q What will the price points be?

A I can’t really talk about that, because our offering plan hasn’t been declared effective. It’s fair to say that it’s competitive with new construction product that’s coming to the market.

Q What’s the status of your project at 39 West 23rd Street?

A Thirty-nine we bought recently from the bank — U.S. Bank — and it’s going to be a 23-story glass tower. We really haven’t determined the unit mix — it’ll probably be two apartments per floor with some full-floor penthouses at the top. It will be a very high-end building.

Carlos Zapata is the architect, and it’s in a landmarked district. We are in the process of completing the drawings, and we hope to begin construction on it in the next 9 to 12 months.
Occupancy may be 20 months after that.

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 13, 2012 at 3:58 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 3:37 PM

Just read that on the Times website. Can't wait! This is a great building...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 2:54 AM
BANNED

I agree.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 4:20 PM

This is one of my favorite proposals in the city. I wonder when we'll start seeing some site prep / construction on this one?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 4:00 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
This is one of my favorite proposals in the city. I wonder when we'll start seeing some site prep / construction on this one?
By sometime next year.

Quote:
We are in the process of completing the drawings, and we hope to begin construction on it in the next 9 to 12 months. Occupancy may be 20 months after that.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 9:22 PM

Recent News: Developer Officially Buys Pope Hat Site

Anbau Enterprises officially purchased the site at 22 West 24th Street, which cements its control over the block-through parking site from 23rd to 24th Street where it is planning to build Carlos Zapata's 23-story Pope Hat building. In an interview published in December 2011, Anbau's managing partner Barbara van Beuren said that the project was slated to break ground in August-November of this year. Zapata's folded glass Pope Hat design is a 23-story tower containing two units per floor with a few penthouses up top. The land at 22 West 24th was once the site of architect Stanford White's sex palace, where he carried on an affair with the very youthful Evelyn Nesbit before her lunatic husband shot White in a fit of jealousy. Anbau closed on the property for $3.5 million.

http://ny.curbed.com/

Unfortunately this one remains an active parking lot. Hopefully they get started on construction in the next year or so.

(photo by me)

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 8:55 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Revised COOKFOX Puzzle Building Approved by Landmarks
Wednesday, October 16, 2013, by Jeremiah Budin

Quote:
COOKFOX's crazy cantilevered building proposal for 39-41 West 23 Street divided the Landmarks Commission when it was presented last month. A revised version of the design, simplified and toned down slightly, was presented yesterday and, although not every member of the Commission was convinced that the building is appropriate for a historic district, enough were that the plans were granted approval.

The building, to be constructed on the site of another controversial proposal, the Pope Hat building (which never ended up happening), retained the basic premise of its original design—a nine-story base with a cantilevered section and secondary facade. Changes to the plans include a darker, bronze terracotta (it was originally white) and a simplified, more defined top for the secondary facade.
All renderings ©COOKFOX

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction