HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
According to This a zoning variance has been granted for these to reduce the parking requirements provided that construction starts by July of 2022.
Whoa! This is potentially huge news!

Saw this in the article

Quote:
"While we’re blathering on about what was “supposed” to happen here but never did, when 311 South Wacker was built 30-something years ago, it was supposed to rehab an abandoned east-west streetcar tunnel under the Chicago River for use as a pedway link to Union Station. Why the city repeatedly allows real estate developers to shirk their stated commitments to the city’s Pedway system is one of those things we’ll never understand."
So they're a tunnel running under the river on Jackson??

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 12:01 AM
DENNAB

Awesome

Quote:
The 1986 zoning for this block has an overall F.A.R. of 32.44. Which is a lot. The city also permits a maximum building height of 1,000 feet on this block. That’s 39 feet taller than the already-constructed building.

This doesn’t mean we’ll see a pair of 1,000-foot-tall buildings, but that certainly would be interesting. The reason there’s a big parking lot next to 311 South Wacker is because when 311 was built, it was supposed to have a 65-story twin tower in that space, but it was never built.
I'd be happy with 775 foot twin towers but it'd be awesome if they could build near supertall range or even high 800's in this spot.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 3:40 AM
1st Ward

Really interesting if we see anything start rising from this block next summer. Any idea on which tower/site would be developed first? Ideally the parking lot on the southwest corner of the site goes first, for aesthetic reasons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
So they're a tunnel running under the river on Jackson??
Yup! Actually its midblock between Van Buren and Jackson (about 150 feet north of Van Buren). It was an old street car tunnel, one of three total in the Loop. The others were at Washington and Lasalle, the former which still has the tunnel portals very visible (used for underground parking garage access now).

The ripping up/paving over of the old street car network was one of the greatest travesties that has happened in this city, considering we had one of the largest networks in the world.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 10:56 AM
BANNED

Wasn’t JP Morgan Chase considering this site?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
That’s what I thought! I hope this become Fruition

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 1:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelacey45 View Post
That’s what I thought! I hope this become Fruition
Me too!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 2:23 PM
Plenary pleasures.

I hope the design has changed.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
No... the site that JP Morgan Chase was looking at is 401 S. Wacker Drive ...right across street from these sites ... This is the potential mystery proposal someone brought up months back about a 80 plus story office tower or something like that..

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 4:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
No... the site that JP Morgan Chase was looking at is 401 S. Wacker Drive ...right across street from these sites ... This is the potential mystery proposal someone brought up months back about a 80 plus story office tower or something like that..
Thanks. I thought that they were looking at a few sites, including that one.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
I hope the design has changed.
After 5 years seems plausible.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Really interesting if we see anything start rising from this block next summer. Any idea on which tower/site would be developed first? Ideally the parking lot on the southwest corner of the site goes first, for aesthetic reasons...

Yup! Actually its midblock between Van Buren and Jackson (about 150 feet north of Van Buren). It was an old street car tunnel, one of three total in the Loop. The others were at Washington and Lasalle, the former which still has the tunnel portals very visible (used for underground parking garage access now).

The ripping up/paving over of the old street car network was one of the greatest travesties that has happened in this city, considering we had one of the largest networks in the world.
Cool thanks, I remember hearing something about these a while back.

Here's the wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street...els_in_Chicago

And here's a very nice video on YouTube about them! (with 200k views) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trCkptXQc1E

The video was just added a month ago by a YouTube history channel, so nice timing.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Obviously, the crews that built BMO Tower encountered the Van Buren tunnel. Anybody know how they dealt with it? Could the tunnel still be tied back into Union Station and the all-weather passage that will eventually be completed to the Clinton Blue Line Station?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 8:18 PM

Quote:
OK, I'll take two 65 floor office towers next 311 Wacker and an 80 story plus one at 401 thank you very much...

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 5:42 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
It was an old street car tunnel, one of three total in the Loop. The others were at Washington and Lasalle, the former which still has the tunnel portals very visible (used for underground parking garage access now).
No, the ramp at LaSalle/Kinzie that leads to Carroll St is a block south of where the old tunnel portal used to sit. None of the old portals remain visible, although in most cases the structures are still there underground.

The LaSalle tunnel was severed by the Blue Line subway under Lake St, and the Van Buren Tunnel now has underground parking garages sitting at both of the old portal locations. Washington is really the only tunnel that could still be used, but it's not clear for what.

Actually I think 311 S Wacker was designed to integrate with the tunnel in the future, if the city ever decided to use it. From the lower level of the winter garden, they'd just need to add one pair of escalators going down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Uptempo View Post
Obviously, the crews that built BMO Tower encountered the Van Buren tunnel. Anybody know how they dealt with it? Could the tunnel still be tied back into Union Station and the all-weather passage that will eventually be completed to the Clinton Blue Line Station?
Not sure but I imagine they obliterated it for the core foundation. It probably still remains in place up to the west line of Canal St so it could still be connected via elevator/stairs to the Union Station pedway.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 12:17 AM
Urbane observer

The problem with using the old streetcar tunnel as a pedway is how unrelievedly boring it is. It's one thing to walk 1000 feet on a sidewalk, past shop windows and intervening streets, but an entirely different thing to walk that far in a lonely underground tunnel. For anyone to ever use it—except when it's below 0º—you'd have to put in a little shuttle, like the Senate Subway or Denver airport. Maybe we could put some electric scooters at both ends.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 1:33 AM

I can think of a way to make it interesting.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 4:55 AM
MPLSXCHI

Quote:
Hello.

https://www.cushmanwakefield.com/en/...16s116117992-l

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 6:14 AM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Looks like it's only 31 floors.

That listing is almost the same as this one from 2016/2017 over on LoopNet.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Chase has also been looking at the 321 S Wacker site too. I don't understand why though. Why would they want their new signature tower to be overshadowed by it's immediate neighbor and visually competing against another future tower on the other parcel?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 4:54 PM

Is there enough vacant space at Sears Tower to consolidate Chase operations? Maybe a name change as well?

. . .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals