HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 6:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
A software change is still vastly cheaper and less disruptive to riders than installing new turnstiles or tap pylons across the whole system. Once the software is developed and tested, the switchover can be immediate.

I'm not sure that meets ADA guidelines, since the passage between train cars is not accessible. Disabled passengers would be stuck in the car that doesn't open. It also creates problems in case of emergency, because you can't evacuate riders onto a platform that doesn't fit the entire train. Right now many stations are still not accessible, so you could argue it's a moot point... but if certain cars don't open at certain stations, that's a step backwards for accessibility. I doubt they could get such a scheme past city, state or Federal regulators, not to mention disabled-rights advocates.

Right now the big capacity squeeze on the Blue Line concerns the power supply. There's not enough juice to run additional trains OR longer trains. CTA is working now to improve the power situation that will allow a few more trains per hour at the AM/PM peak. As ridership continues to increase, CTA may need to start planning for platform extensions, signal changes, even more power, maybe even partial or full automation that would allow for 10-car trains, but such a project could run into the billions.

Beyond the power upgrades that are currently in the works, there is also another bit of relief coming once CTA starts receiving the new 7000-series rail cars. That's working through some Trump tariff issues right now, but eventually the new 7000s will allow the previous generation of 5000-series cars to move to the Blue Line. The 5000s offer MUCH more standing room which will allow CTA to pack more people onto each train.

Suburbanites have not mounted any opposition to Blue Line improvements. Actually many of the suburbs within CTA's service area are served by the Blue Line directly or indirectly, so they have every incentive to support upgrades (Oak Park, Forest Park, Rosemont, Park Ridge, Des Plaines, Norridge, Harwood, Niles etc).

Some rail systems (Paris RER, Moscow Metro, various Tokyo lines) manage to achieve 90-second headways, or 40 trains per hour. This is about the limit of what is possible, and relies on cultural factors as much as expensive signaling systems. In the US, we place a value on rider comfort, on accommodating disabled or elderly passengers, on friendly operators who hold the doors open a few seconds longer than they should so stragglers can board. All those things work against expedient, predictable train operation.
I HATE those door holding operators. Yeah delay a train full of people so fatty can waddle her ass up the steps. Needs to be automated.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 8:23 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHao View Post
I HATE those door holding operators. Yeah delay a train full of people so fatty can waddle her ass up the steps. Needs to be automated.
You know, you really could have made your comment without sounding like a rude, inconsiderate douche-canoe.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Some rail systems (Paris RER, Moscow Metro, various Tokyo lines) manage to achieve 90-second headways, or 40 trains per hour. This is about the limit of what is possible, and relies on cultural factors as much as expensive signaling systems. In the US, we place a value on rider comfort, on accommodating disabled or elderly passengers, on friendly operators who hold the doors open a few seconds longer than they should so stragglers can board. All those things work against expedient, predictable train operation.
A quick check of the RER timetable shows a top of 26 an hour in any one direction. A far cry from 40 and it only occurs in the central area where two separate lines converge. Frankly, we beat that in the loop every day.

They are hoping that the electric upgrades and signal improvements can boost capacity by 10%. That is two trains an hour. I think even that is optimistic.

I'm not saying that 90sec headways are impossible or defy the laws of physics. But when the trains get closer than one station apart they have to start and stop in lockstep. I don't think our old elevated ironwork is up to the task.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 12:45 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I bet adding a bus lane on North Michigan / LSD would alleviate a lot of Red Line crowding issues (since many would choose to take the bus instead, and the buses could make more trips during rush hour).
Over the long term, since Chicago will probably always prefer express buses on LSD over new lakefront rail lines, Michigan - starting with North Michigan - should have the "Lower" portion extended north from Grand to Lake Shore Drive and made bus-only. It would be, at most, 3/4s of a mile, cost perhaps a half billion, but allow buses to tie into Lower Wacker and Carol Street and eliminate or greatly reduced surface crowding.

Once that was done, a "Lower Chicago" could be added from just west of Orleans to Fairbanks to improve 66/Chicago travel times.

Finally, moving Michigan Ave buses south of the River to below grade could be the final step, speeding up travel times from the South Loop and places South to the Mag Mile corridor. That might be a thirty year plan, but at the end Chicago would have a flexible, efficient system where transit was far faster than automobiles for any trip at rush hour and at least competitive during off hours. Plus, it could work with current buses and would work even better with hybrid or electric buses. It wouldn't even be that hard to add trolley wires underground and run trolly buses like Boston uses on the Silver Line, except hopefully modern enough to not need an extended stop to do the switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
And the last time I looked, the CTA's farebox recovery ratio (portion of expenses met by fares) was actually fairly high relative to most systems.
I think Chicago is one of the few transit agencies in the world to have a statutory mandate on farebox recovery
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Over the long term, since Chicago will probably always prefer express buses on LSD over new lakefront rail lines, Michigan - starting with North Michigan - should have the "Lower" portion extended north from Grand to Lake Shore Drive and made bus-only. It would be, at most, 3/4s of a mile, cost perhaps a half billion, but allow buses to tie into Lower Wacker and Carol Street and eliminate or greatly reduced surface crowding.

Once that was done, a "Lower Chicago" could be added from just west of Orleans to Fairbanks to improve 66/Chicago travel times.

Finally, moving Michigan Ave buses south of the River to below grade could be the final step, speeding up travel times from the South Loop and places South to the Mag Mile corridor. That might be a thirty year plan, but at the end Chicago would have a flexible, efficient system where transit was far faster than automobiles for any trip at rush hour and at least competitive during off hours. Plus, it could work with current buses and would work even better with hybrid or electric buses. It wouldn't even be that hard to add trolley wires underground and run trolly buses like Boston uses on the Silver Line, except hopefully modern enough to not need an extended stop to do the switch.

I think Chicago is one of the few transit agencies in the world to have a statutory mandate on farebox recovery
I like that idea. The signals and mixed traffic that slowed buses used to make my commute from Oak to Adams nearly the same as fast walking

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 3:38 AM

Guys can we kick the multi page transit discussion to the TRANSIT THREAD?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjoe45 View Post
Walking around my neighborhood this morning snapped a couple quick pics of ongoing/recently completed projects:

945 W Belmont | 87 FT | 6 FLOORS
Former site of a vacant lot and a three story retail building, which was also vacant. Just started work on the 5th floor, so a bit more to go. Will contain 33 apartments, ground floor retail (Devil Dogs & Stone Creek Coffee) and ZERO parking.

3200 N Clark | 96 FT | 8 FLOORS
I know it was completed over a year ago but the impact it had on this intersection can't be under sold. Former site of one and two story retail plus a parking lot. 90 apartments, ground floor retail (Target) and second floor retail (for lease), 39 parking spaces.

3223-3228 N Clark | 84 FT | 7 FLOORS

Former site of The Alley shop. Topped out. They preserved and will be restoring the original terra cotta facade. 24 apartments, ground floor retail and only 6 parking spaces.

3300 N Clark | 91 FT | 7.5 FLOORS
Former site of one story Lakeview Learning Center. Recently approved and site prep is underway. 140 apartments, ground floor retail, and 20 parking spaces.
I love to see this Lakeview infill. It’s a great dense neighborhood with some serious gaps that are now getting filled. Disappointed when the hospital took over the old Sports authority and Blockbuster site - that site needs some density. It’s the closest thing to a downtown outside of downtown - it’s time it’s start acting the part. This boom has been amazing for neighborhoods.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 4:28 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
I like that idea. The signals and mixed traffic that slowed buses used to make my commute from Oak to Adams nearly the same as fast walking
On the magnificent mile, I would put the cars below ground and have above ground be maybe one lane for taxis / ambulances, one lane for buses, and the rest for pedestrians. It would make it a lot more pleasant.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
The new antenna light show on Sears is awesome. I'm not sure how to post a video or I'd try to capture it.
Light Show?!? Why haven't I heard of this? Is Sears finally getting that next gen light update like ESB????

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 1:24 PM

I have a front seat view of the Sears from my north facing terrace... I believe the new light show started on the 3rd.... IT BLEW MY MIND (full disclosure, I was a little baked...)

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 1:36 PM

939 Fulton

July 2

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 2:02 PM

Columbia Student Center - 770 S Wabash

June 29

The Kaaba of Chicago ?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 2:31 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
A quick check of the RER timetable shows a top of 26 an hour in any one direction. A far cry from 40 and it only occurs in the central area where two separate lines converge. Frankly, we beat that in the loop every day.

They are hoping that the electric upgrades and signal improvements can boost capacity by 10%. That is two trains an hour. I think even that is optimistic.

I'm not saying that 90sec headways are impossible or defy the laws of physics. But when the trains get closer than one station apart they have to start and stop in lockstep. I don't think our old elevated ironwork is up to the task.
Sorry, I meant Paris Metro Line 1, which has shorter headways than the RER A which runs along the same corridor. I'm not sure it actually achieves 90 seconds in practice but 100 to 105 seconds is common.

The Blue Line has the advantage of being completely isolated from the rest of the L system, so there are never conflicts with other trains. The only factors preventing higher frequencies are technical and cultural.

Ultimately it's important that Chicago figure out this problem or we will kill the TOD golden goose. Either the city can A) substantially improve capacity, through upgrades or new transit lines altogether or B) find a way to foster TOD on other rail lines to spread the load. I would suggest starting with the Orange Line first, lots of industrial property around the Halsted and Ashland stations that could host some serious density if the zoning was there, and no strongly-organized community groups to protest development. Certainly don't need more of the dinky townhouse developments right next to the rail stations.

Last edited by ardecila; Jul 7, 2018 at 2:45 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 2:50 PM

Guys again, this isn't the transit thread...

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 2:53 PM

The 3 story building at the SE corner of State & Elm got its demo permit. Replacement building is supposed to be a more modern looking 3 story building. This is across the street, south, of 4 E Elm.

Current: https://www.google.com/maps/place/11...!4d-87.6283748

Source: http://www.newcastlelimited.com/port...il-gold-coast/

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 2:54 PM
The City

Quote:
Ultimately it's important that Chicago figure out this problem or we will kill the TOD golden goose. Either the city can A) substantially improve capacity, through upgrades or new transit lines altogether or B) find a way to foster TOD on other rail lines to spread the load. I would suggest starting with the Orange Line first, lots of industrial property around the Halsted and Ashland stations that could host some serious density if the zoning was there, and no strongly-organized community groups to protest development. Certainly don't need more of the dinky townhouse developments right next to the rail stations.
Yes, ultimately the stigma against the south side just has to die.

I don’t think the city can do much, other than incentives, to change this. We need those evil private investors to make a truly concerted, dedicated effort to market some of these neighborhoods.

I know that they tried and failed with the Southworks site, but that was a bad play anyhow. It’s just too damn far away, and it’s decades away from being desirable.

Right now Bronzeville needs a benefactor. The development pace there needs to bump up from 2nd to 4th gear like yesterday. Sure, it will probably be in the form of townhomes, but that’s still way better than vacant lots. Perhaps a tad denser near the Green Line, but still—the current state of affairs for the south lakefront hoods is an embarrassment for the city.

I’ve known people who chose to go to MBA school in New York over University of Chicago just based on their drive from Hyde Park to downtown. We do actually lose a lot from the current state of our south side built environment.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 3:19 PM
The City

Not trying to pick on Segun here, and I’m not even sure he knows what he’s talking about, but attitudes like this will get these forlorn south side neighborhoods absolutely nowhere:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segun View Post
If a developer wants to build anything on the South Side of Chicago, they have to consult with Church Women, Small business owners, community center leaders, grassroots politicians, etc or the Alderman will outright block yo ass AND march with the people in a rally to stop it if he or she has to. Strength in numbers. It won't even make it to the proposal stage. That's the way things work out South. It ain't like up North. You gotta show you're down with the people to gain the trust. Yuppies aren't just going to take over without some concessions being met first. That's gonna be how it works for a while. The Obamas just legitimized the s**t out of that process.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The 3 story building at the SE corner of State & Elm got its demo permit. Replacement building is supposed to be a more modern looking 3 story building. This is across the street, south, of 4 E Elm.

Current: https://www.google.com/maps/place/11...!4d-87.6283748

Source: http://www.newcastlelimited.com/port...il-gold-coast/
Oh Chicago, jesus christ. Preservation maybe

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 4:51 PM
Development Shill

Anyone know what the big yellow crane near the Franklin and Monroe intersection is doing today? Been hovering over the building next to the Franklin Center all morning

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 4:51 PM
Show me the blueprints

Bizarroworld

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development