HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Feb 20, 2004, 9:09 PM

OH MY God, somebody actually loves Raleigh......................
I'm glad someobe finally mentioned our underated skyline!!!! It needs major work but its no where near the bottom of the list. You actaully have to be here in person to get the full effect!!!!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2004, 3:30 AM
Administrator

A terrible picture of DT Tampa, but from a great angle...

Old Posted Feb 21, 2004, 7:50 AM
New Orleanian for Life

Yes, I am biased. But I still choose New Orleans. Why? Besides having a great skyline for a city its size, downtown is still living after dark.

(And no, I did not take this pic.)

Last edited by JPKneworleans; Feb 21, 2004 at 8:43 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2004, 2:14 PM
Red October standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide35401
Southeast:

1.Birmingham
2.Charlotte
3.Columbia
4.Asheville
5.Knoxville
heh, it's early, but you get my vote as new forumer of the year.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Feb 21, 2004, 3:39 PM
urbanmarinade.com

I think people tend to forget certain skylines around the southeast Jasonhouse. Specially down here in Tampa.

I mean, I can understand ranking Miami, Atlanta and Charlotte at the top....but some of these folks have Winston-Salem, Columbia, Knoxville, even Asheville ranked high. Now, if you are going on the fact that Asheville has some of the most beautiful surroundings in the country...I hear ya. But I thought this was ranking the best skylines? That would be the cluster of buildings centered around the CBD....right???

What are there....like four buildings in Knoxville...maybe 5 or 6 in Winston? C'mon folks.

Give some love to Jacksonville, Birmingham, Tampa, even Orlando. There is no way you can rank the skyline of Knoxville or Winston higher then these places. And don't get me started about Columbia.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2004, 5:01 PM
Nemo

My original list was Atlanta, Charlotte, Tampa, Miami, and New Orleans, with honorable mentions to birmingham and nashville, so I agree with you that smaller cities like Columbia, Knoxville, and Asheville really shouldn't even be in contention, but hey, opinion is opinion.

Winston-Salem isn't quite the longshot you think it is, by the way. I'd probably put Winston-Salem just slightly behind Jacksonville and just slightly ahead of Orlando.

Winston-Salem:

vs.

Orlando:

Old Posted Feb 21, 2004, 5:06 PM
Red October standing by

Quote:
And don't get me started about Columbia.
what's wrong with Columbia? BRING IT ON!!!

-

-fflint

Old Posted Feb 21, 2004, 8:03 PM

Nemo you are WAY off when it comes to picking photos for Orlando... you picked the Best one for Winston-Salem and the worst one for Orlando from 20 years ago.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2004, 8:39 PM

You're right RedStar. You might as well get used to it. Unfortunately, it's human nature. This forum has its own special blend of human nature anyway. Remember the premise here: My thing is bigger than your thing and I don't care to what degree of exaggerations and distortions of reality I have to go to to make it so.

I haven't picked my favorites yet, but here's a stab at it.

1. Miami
2. Atlanta
3. New Orleans
4. Tampa
5. and as much as it grieves me to do so, Charlotte.

My all time favorite is Nashville. Why? Home Sweet Home. It's my life and my soul....and it has nothing to do with buildings.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2004, 9:25 PM
Jamma

Redstar, if you have a better pic of Orlando then post it. If not, then I guess those pics will do.

If you're gonna bash someone's choice of pic at least come prepared with better pics of your own. Jeesh.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2004, 9:26 PM
Jamma

double post

Old Posted Feb 21, 2004, 9:33 PM
urbanmarinade.com

Lsyd...there is nothing wrong with Columbia as a city. I like it there and spent many nights with friends in 5 points. In fact, Williams Brice Stadium is one of my all time favorites. But as a skyline, the city doesn't rank very high.

I think Columbia and Knoxville are nice places, but just don't have the skylines to compare with the likes of Charlotte, Atlanta, Miami, Tampa, Nashville, Jacksonville, and Orlando. They are mid-sized cities that have some nice qualities, but not a dominate skyline. I would classify Columbia in the same catagory as Greensboro, Macon, Lakeland, etc. Nice places, but not much skyline.

As for Winston-Salem, I just moved to Tampa from Winston about 6 months ago. It is by far the second best skyline in NC, but still doesn't rank in the top 10 in the south, IMO.

1. Miami
2. Atlanta
3. Charlotte
4. Tampa
5. New Orleans
6. Birmingham
7. Nashville
8. Louisville
9. Ft. Lauderdale
10. Jacksonville
11. Orlando
12. Richmond
13. Memphis
14. Winston-Salem
15. Raleigh
16. Shrevport

etc......

Old Posted Feb 21, 2004, 10:01 PM
Amen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvstampa
I would classify Columbia in the same catagory as Greensboro, Macon, Lakeland, etc. Nice places, but not much skyline.
Heh, Macon? I don't think it is even in the same league as Greensboro or Columbia. Doesn't it just have like one building over 15 stories? Still, I remember someone put up some nice street level pictures which were impressive, and the Ocmulgee River is cool too.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2004, 10:50 PM
JFDinJax, founded c.1998

So what if Redstar didn't post his own pics? What he said was still the truth! That is NOT a good photo of Orlando. Period.

from the South (photo by Sunshineboy):

from the West (photo from the net):

Orlando's a WIDE skyline from any angle. It has its gaps that need filling in, but that's what the cranes are for.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2004, 10:55 PM
Jamma

Orlando doesn't do much for me. No density, no height...just kinda, unimpressive. Just because of its size I'd probably put it ahead of Winston-Salem though. W/S is still probably top 10 in the South(east) for me though.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2004, 11:29 PM
JFDinJax, founded c.1998

W-S has a nice skyline considering its urban-area population, but how can you find room for it in the top 10? There's so many more!

BTW, I'm glad to see some people remembered Fort Lauderdale. It has got to be changing leagues quicker than any other skyline in the South.(photo by jrw21)

My top 5 (excluding Texas):
1. Atlanta
2. Miami
3. Charlotte
4. Nashville
5. Tampa

and finishing the top 15:

6. New Orleans
7. Fort Lauderdale
8. Birmingham
9. Jacksonville
10. Louisville
11. Memphis
12. Richmond
13. Orlando
14. Winston-Salem
15. Knoxville

16. St. Petersburg, Raleigh, Asheville, Shreveport, WPB, etc.

....this isn't necessarily the order of my favorites. It's more like a list of how much respect or attention I think each one demands, by height, scope, and aesthetics.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2004, 12:29 AM
Red October standing by

I think Columbia's got a great sky line, especially for a city its size.

sure it doesn't have much in heighth, but it makes up for that with buildings that are very solid looking, and that look great together in groups.

sadly, it tends to get ignored.

I'd never seen a pic of Shreveport until a few minutes ago, and although I was suprised, I'd put it far below Columbia, and even Knoxville.

I'd put up some photos showing this, but my server's having serious issues (as in deathbed confession time issues.)

your statement of "Don't get me started on Columbia" seemed more than a bit rude.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Feb 22, 2004, 1:00 AM

I'd still rank New Orleans higher than many have, behind Miami and Atlanta, and no worse than 3rd, perhaps tied with Charlotte. Though its buildings are for the most part older--the newest are about 20 yr. old--New Orleans just has more density and taller buildings than cities such as Birmingham and Nashville.

Here's the number of buildings over 100 meters:

New Orleans--20
Charlotte--12
Nashville--9
Tampa--8
Memphis--7
Birmingham--5

All of those New Orleans buildings may not be particularly tall--the tallest is the 697 ft. Shell Building--but they add a lot to the look of the skyline.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2004, 2:25 AM

Orlando you want... well here you go.....and please note There are currently 6 skyscrapers under-construction downtown as we speak.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2004, 4:17 AM
Jamma

Quote:
All of those New Orleans buildings may not be particularly tall--the tallest is the 697 ft. Shell Building--but they add a lot to the look of the skyline.
I agree. I like New Orleans' skyline.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast