HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
CJOB and Charles Adler became the Winnipeg version of FOX News and Tucker Carlson. It became unlistenable one sided right wing propaganda. It would sure be interesting to see if Murray joins the race.
Good analogy, Adler really did go all in on the Tucker Carlson-like rhetoric. It was so toxic that I completely stopped listening to CJOB for many years, except for Bob Irving and football.

Somewhere along the way they lightened up and the CJOB toxicity is gone. I actually started listening to it in light doses over the last couple of years and if you can stand the endless commercial blocks it's pretty decent. The morning show guys are not bad.

As for Adler, if you follow him on social media, you will see that he has converted to mainstream liberalism which is fine. But as he decries the likes of Poilievre, Kenney and trucker convoys and the worst of ugly far right politics, I wonder if he ever regrets profiting handsomely from pumping their tires for all those years. (I'm assuming not.)

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 2:42 PM

Osborne village cancelled the canada day street festival for this year. Wow this city sucks can't go in a bus shack can't celebrate canada day can't go to a intersection without being panhandled at a red light don't think I can ever remember winnipeg in such miserable shape and Gillingham wants to be the candidate of continuing Bowmanism ughh

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Osborne village cancelled the canada day street festival for this year. Wow this city sucks can't go in a bus shack can't celebrate canada day can't go to a intersection without being panhandled at a red light don't think I can ever remember winnipeg in such miserable shape and Gillingham wants to be the candidate of continuing Bowmanism ughh
Actually not a bad idea. The Canada Day thing on Osborne started out small but grew unwieldy to the point where it lost its charm.

It's the civic equivalent to those high school parties where 6 or 7 friends were supposed to hang out one night, but then word got out and suddenly there are 120 people in the house with some guys drinking all the booze in the liquor cabinet, and another guy is going through the jewelery box in the bedroom, etc.

The small scale events planned as a replacement sound much better.

Besides, Canada Day is meant for backyard parties, light up the BBQ, go to the beach, etc.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 4:09 PM
surely you agree with me

the justification for cancelling it curious. It doesn't provide enough business on the day? If increased business is the driving goal for that celebration, wouldn't exposing thousands of people who would never otherwise go to OV be a positive? Building brand awareness and providing exposure. I cant imagine a bigger impact for that. The little First Friday type things they say will replace it seems like it will just be locals.

if people being drunk is the problem, why not just tweak it...like don't have beer gardens open in the evening....just make it a day thing....the problems are really only at night.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 4:30 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Besides, Canada Day is meant for backyard parties, light up the BBQ, go to the beach, etc.
The tens of thousands of people who went to this event every year suggests that maybe Canada day isn’t about back yard parties. For me personally it’s about public events.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
The tens of thousands of people who went to this event every year suggests that maybe Canada day isn’t about back yard parties. For me personally it’s about public events.
Probably 90% or more of the attendees at this event spend most of their time sitting on portable chairs, drinking beer and listening to music blasting over loudspeakers because that was the main entertainment option... in other words, a very backyard or balcony friendly activity

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 4:39 PM

Its one day a year. I get that for retailers its probably a slow business day, but for restaurants its huge. OV is a neighbourhood of apartment dwellers so I disagree that Canada Day is for backyard events. I completely understand that drunken suburbanites can be an issue but I don't think its a reason to cancel the event. Toronto's West End has street festivals every weekend through the summer with expanded restaurant patios and pop up vendors. Its clearly working well for them.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Good analogy, Adler really did go all in on the Tucker Carlson-like rhetoric. It was so toxic that I completely stopped listening to CJOB for many years, except for Bob Irving and football.

Somewhere along the way they lightened up and the CJOB toxicity is gone. I actually started listening to it in light doses over the last couple of years and if you can stand the endless commercial blocks it's pretty decent. The morning show guys are not bad.

As for Adler, if you follow him on social media, you will see that he has converted to mainstream liberalism which is fine. But as he decries the likes of Poilievre, Kenney and trucker convoys and the worst of ugly far right politics, I wonder if he ever regrets profiting handsomely from pumping their tires for all those years. (I'm assuming not.)
Is that why CJOB's ratings dropped? The toxicity of Adler as he grew into the role replacing Peter Warren back in the 1998? I seem to recall for several years in the early to mid-2000s CJOB still maintained local ratings dominance as they were posted each quarter in the Winnipeg Free Press. Or would the ratings have dropped anyways even if Adler and company would have toned down the rhetoric given the rise of the internet and endless options on satellite radio?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 9:30 PM

Interesting question. BTW...it wasn's Adler that was the problem. I recall a particularly odious interview that Jeff Courier did with an Obama hater.
I turned it off because of the combination of the political bent and the endless commercial breaks. TSN had better sports coverage, and CBC had better news coverage and interviews without commercial interruptions. Didn't CBC become the top station in the city? The little that I have listened to CJOB in recent times, given that they are part of the global empire now, I suspect their mayoral coverage will be more even handed now.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 9:35 PM

I guess AM radio is a dying platform but CJOB still had a massive share before they went all in on the Rush Limbaugh-style claptrap. I'm not sure if the unlistenable nature of the content (as Sheepish said, obnoxious right wing ranting with interminable commercial blocks) drove listeners away or if AM is just bleeding listeners regardless. I switched to CBC for news/talk and never looked back, as did many others given that CBC is number one in the morning ratings and has been for a while now.

Like I said though, the tone of CJOB has improved considerably since they became aligned with Shaw/Global. I will listen on occasion, but it's never really my go-to station for anything.

Thankfully I'm sure the bad old days of campaigning against Glen Murray are long gone now.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Murray entering the race shortly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I heard Murray is announcing his run on Friday.
I feel betrayed.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2022, 4:29 AM

^ Biff didn't say which Friday, haha

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 1:05 AM

Still no word on Murray if its Gillingham vs Motkaluk yikes some bleak days ahead for winnipeg

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 4:56 AM
surely you agree with me

Agreed.

Loney definitely the best of the bunch so far without Murray. He’s saying the right things at least. He’s definitely a long shot though.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Agreed.

Loney definitely the best of the bunch so far without Murray. He’s saying the right things at least. He’s definitely a long shot though.
Definitely not wanting to vote for Gillingham or Motkaluk.

That said Loney lost my vote at his campaign launch with the non-starter of the idea to remove rail from Winnipeg. A proper mayor for Winnipeg needs to be aware of what is within their jurisdictional powers. As rail is a federal jurisdiction that is way off side. The other piece I want to see in a mayoral candidate is an awareness of what are the major employers locally, hint those rail yards have lots of people working in them. Attempting to relocate rail is going to be a huge step backwards for Winnipeg, cost a lot of money and not actually accomplish anything at the end of the day.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ises-1.6480974

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 5:41 PM

Story is Murray will be throwing in his hat soon.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnedmenno View Post
Story is Murray will be throwing in his hat soon.
Friday was mentioned (2 weeks ago )

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Friday was mentioned (2 weeks ago )
Got me my own source that verifies what TrueViking said. No announcement date though

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 6:20 PM

Maybe its Stuart Murray you just got it mixed up?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Maybe its Stuart Murray you just got it mixed up?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan