HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
I am constantly pulling masks out of my dog's mouth on our walks.
Yep, tissues and masks nonstop. lol, nonlol.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Isn’t it another frivolous claim to freedom to invoke checkout lines though?
I know you’re French(Canadian), but what the little wink emoji was meant to convey is that I added that one to my 3 examples as sort of a joke.

It’s true, but no it’s not one of the major reasons why I think removing lots of affluent (at least in terms of housing wealth) empty nester homebodies from the central city would make it a more vibrant and dynamic place, and help younger people who actually need to live and work in the city to find adequate housing without long commutes.

And then yeah, there’s a reason there are no good restaurants in Kensington (one of the “nicest” and most central residential parts of London) and that reason is old people. But this is probably a more British specific problem, since this country only discovered decent food in about 2004 and therefore it represents another generational divide.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 8:59 PM
devout Pizzatarian

my daughter got sent home from school early today for potential covid exposure in her classroom last week.

YAY, back to remote "learning" for the next week or so.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 15, 2021 at 9:21 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 10:06 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Some random kid probably had a cough and everyone freaked out.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 10:13 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
Some random kid probably had a cough and everyone freaked out.
No, one of her fellow classmates tested positive for covid over the weekend apparently, and per CPS guidelines, all 25 kids in her 1st grade classroom now have to go into a 10 day remote "learning" protocol.

The other 600 kids at her school (including her little brother) are unaffected for the moment, unless they track intra-school spread, in which case they might close the entire school BUILDING* for a spell.

CPS has said that once kids are fully vaxxed, any child who is fully vaxxed will not have to do these 10 day quarantines after exposure in school, which will be nice, but we're not quite there yet.

(*) Extra emphasis on "BUILDING" for those afflicted with VSIS.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 15, 2021 at 10:49 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 11:32 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
That’s insanity. Hopefully it comes to an end soon.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 2:01 PM

Out of an "abundance of caution" the Ontario government canceled it's plan to remove the remaining capacity limits on bars, nightclubs, strip clubs, etc. starting yesterday evening. For context, the caution is based on the recent increase in cases shown below.

They also keep touting how Covid will need to be handled on a regional basis, yet Toronto, where the vast majority of such high-capacity establishments are located, has some of the highest vaccination rates in the world and is still subject to the same province-wide restrictions. Over 95% of 18-29 year olds fully vaccinated, significantly higher than the populations actually at risk.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 3:06 PM
The City

^ Idiots

That's exactly what has happened with COVID. It's turned into a mental illness. I fully expect the same goal post moves to keep happening everywhere, including Illinois

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 3:31 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
That’s insanity.
meh. IMO, "insanity" would be shutting down the entire school BUILDING from a single case of covid in a classroom. this individual classroom protocol is disruptive and annoying (anytime one or both of my kids aren't at their the school BUILDING on a school day is disruptive and annoying), but it is what it is, and with my kids getting fully vaxxed within the the month, it is hopefully a policy not long for this world (or at least one that will not affect our family).

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 3:48 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
No, one of her fellow classmates tested positive for covid over the weekend apparently, and per CPS guidelines, all 25 kids in her 1st grade classroom now have to go into a 10 day remote "learning" protocol.

The other 600 kids at her school (including her little brother) are unaffected for the moment, unless they track intra-school spread, in which case they might close the entire school BUILDING* for a spell.

CPS has said that once kids are fully vaxxed, any child who is fully vaxxed will not have to do these 10 day quarantines after exposure in school, which will be nice, but we're not quite there yet.

(*) Extra emphasis on "BUILDING" for those afflicted with VSIS.

afaik they dont do this in nyc schools this school year. only if kids are symptomatic.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
afaik they dont do this in nyc schools this school year. only if kids are symptomatic.
Lucky for NYC, unfortunately in Chicago, we have one of the most militant far left teachers unions and they will do anything to work less.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 4:25 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
this individual classroom protocol is disruptive and annoying (anytime one or both of my kids aren't at their the school BUILDING on a school day is disruptive and annoying), but it is what it is, and with my kids getting fully vaxxed within the the month, it is hopefully a policy not long for this world (or at least one that will not affect our family).
^ The goalposts will shift and this protocol will remain in place even after your kids are vaccinated.

Mark my words. Remember this post, because I will quote and repost it in a few months to remind you that my prediction is right.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 4:49 PM

As soon as a breakthrough infection occurs with a kid in school I'm sure we'll be right back where we started.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 5:10 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ The goalposts will shift and this protocol will remain in place even after your kids are vaccinated.

Mark my words. Remember this post, because I will quote and repost it in a few months to remind you that my prediction is right.
that's always possible, but the new standard already applies to 12+ kids who are fully vaxxed.

my good friend has a CPS highschooler who had a covid exposure in her class, and because she is fully vaxxed, she did not have to do a 10 day remote "learning" quarantine.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 5:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
As soon as a breakthrough infection occurs with a kid in school I'm sure we'll be right back where we started.
I agree with you guys generally but I think that there will be considerably more pushback if they try to re-tighten measures significantly. And this time it will come from more "respectable" people.

If only for that I think governments will tread a lot more cautiously.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I agree with you guys generally but I think that there will be considerably more pushback if they try to re-tighten measures significantly. And this time it will come from more "respectable" people.

There will always be something to fall back on. "A vaccinated kid still has the potential to pass it on to an older person who hasn't gotten a booster yet."

I agree that regulatory authorities are running out of goodwill though. People around here who were generally cautious with Covid pre-vaccine, followed the measures, etc. are running out of patience and are converting to the mindset of eventually having to "let er rip".

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 5:56 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is already quite noticeable around here. Cases went up around August or so but the new measures were almost all directed at specific areas or unvaccinated people. I'm not sure they had much discernible impact one way or the other. Maybe the vaccine passports got 0.4% more people vaccinated.

I still read comments online about how officials here are incautious etc. but they are typically ultra low information (e.g. based on case numbers, and we never really had very good data in Canada anyway) and they're clearly diverging from what the province here is actually doing.

At this point I think the only real annoyance to me is the requirement that Canadians get a negative covid test before entering the country. I hope this will be dropped in the coming months.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This is already quite noticeable around here. Cases went up around August or so but the new measures were almost all directed at specific areas or unvaccinated people.

I still read comments online about how the province here is incautious etc. but they seem pretty low information (people just looking at case numbers and not really understanding how those are distributed or what they mean) and they're clearly diverging from what the province here is actually doing.

At this point I think the only real annoyance to me is the requirement that Canadians get a negative covid test before entering the country.
I flew back from vacation in Scottsdale yesterday. Paid $40 for an antigen test to fly into the States, wasn't checked once. Was about to pay $140 for a PCR test (supposedly required to get back into Canada) but luckily found a place that did it for free in Phoenix. Only person to ask for my PCR test was a guy who I was assume an airport employee at the gate in Phoenix. Not a single immigration officer on either side of the border asked for proof of vax or negative test, but obviously you still have to do it on the off-chance they will.

Coming back from a long weekend in Arizona has put me in a bitter mood regarding current Covid regulations here.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 6:09 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Coming back from a long weekend in Arizona has put me in a bitter mood regarding current Covid regulations here.
My worry is mostly about testing positive and having to isolate in another country for 2 weeks.

I suspect Canada is a bit out-there these days compared to most of the world. If you look at just wealthy developed nations they are all over the place in terms of policies implemented (masks, school closures, vaccines, testing). Most did about the same even though they didn't accept the full slate of Canadian life-or-death measures. A subset of people are getting hysterical about smaller and smaller initiatives as the absolute risk of covid generally stays low or declines.

These days we're around 0.7 deaths per million per day. Our death rate here in BC over the pandemic has been about 0.025% of the population per annum. These simple facts aren't mentioned much, and you definitely won't see people contemplate what it might have meant to accept 0.05% mortality or get to 0.01% mortality. You are more likely to see the media focus on anecdotes of dead unvaccinated people.

The vaccine debate is getting extreme with narrower and narrower goals that are now about getting that last 10% or 1% of people vaccinated (some of these populations that mandates are being pushed in are 96% or more vaccinated). We can debate if the mandates are appropriate but I'm not sure how that last few % is going to change things. The vaccines do not confer lifelong sterilizing immunity.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 6:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Every couple of days we get news reports about COVID "coming back" in country X, Y or Z, but I don't have a full sense of what's being done in these places in response to upticks in cases.

Though I did hear this week that Austria was "locking down" again but I like most people have no idea what that means? Schools closed? Kids wearing masks in class? In-dining in restaurants verboten? Curfews? Essential shopping only?

Without more details (yes I know I could find them, but who does this?), it's impossible to know if their "lockdown" is any worse than the current status quo where we are.

The result for most us is just more COVID anxiety, like a sword of Damocles hanging over heads.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions