HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 5:22 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by braun06 View Post
Chicago forumers definitely beat their city's development up terribly compared to other cities, but for certain its all out of heart. No city on Earth however gets one style of architecture by the demand of critics or one that is of high quality for every project. In the era of efficient mass produced construction materials, the acceptable bar can be pretty low. Here's to hoping, if its built as designed, that it hides any prefab factory housing building methods as best as possible.

It's all situational. We're brutally harsh when the circumstances call for such. We also give high praise when that's appropriate.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 5:27 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123fakestreet View Post
With all the financial problems this city/state is facing, you guys should be happy that anyone wants to build in this city. This building is pretty damn nice and I'd love to buy one of those units shows with the huge S or E facing balcony.

The problem with this statement is that we're actually in the early stages of a true building boom - there are all kinds of developers (reflecting the demand from end users) that want to build here right now......so - no, we should not be happy that anyone wants to build in Chicago (most everyone does)........this is not to ignore any fiscal woes (and potential negative implications for the local economy in the future - for those if eventuated would in fact impact private development), just to acknowledge that we are not desperate for development such that we should be thanking our lucky stars any design hack wants to puke up some retro trash to scar our skyline with.......far, far - far - (far) from it, in fact.....

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 5:27 PM

This architect is famous for his neo-traditional style, but I don't think he executes his buildings very well. Much like 15 central park west there is no sense of unity or form. It would look a lot nicer if the building had a Rockefeller type setback look or Daily News building-esque to it which it almost does.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 7:21 PM

Perhaps you have not been through Chicago recently, but there is construction everywhere. The city government does have financial problems, yes. Those of us who live here are quite aware of that. However, the city also has a large population of people with money and/or a desire to live in and around downtown. The goal of the developers is to build something that these people want to use.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 8:12 PM

This is overall a pretty nice design. It's proportioned well the setbacks are done at a logical and appropriate frequency. It's orientation east west let's it step gracefully back from the lake. There's no overly exaggerated stylistic features apart from the window framing and any style references are sufficiently subtle. The precast is disappointing for sure and the window grills and framing are going to look awful if they are close to what I've seen on Sterns 30 park place but the hatred on this thread for this design simply because it appears 'retro' or 'traditionalist' is unwarranted.

And before we start quoting Louis Sullivan to co-opt the anti-retro sentiment in this thread it should be noted that Sullivan used a lot of Romanesque Revival and various other 'retro' architectural styles in his works. If you're approaching design with the idea that if it reminds you of style X it must be bad then you're doing it wrong.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 10:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ But considering Robert AM Stern a world class architect, or 'starchitect' is akin to considering Michael Bay, or Tyler Perry, a world class filmmaker. It's a completely flawed, and quite preposterous premise.......
OMG such an amazing comparison! We can only hope the Transformers crush this turd into rubble!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stained View Post
Perhaps you have not been through Chicago recently, but there is construction everywhere. The city government does have financial problems, yes. Those of us who live here are quite aware of that. However, the city also has a large population of people with money and/or a desire to live in and around downtown. The goal of the developers is to build something that these people want to use.
It reminds me of when people bring up the fact that Detroit went bankrupt and wonder why the city is still somehow progressing and still getting better.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 12:33 AM

How has this not started? Anyone has any news on a groundbreaking?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 12:41 AM
BANNED

It's been cancelled

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 12:44 AM
MPLSXCHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
It's been cancelled
Why would yo say that?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Why would yo say that?
Indeed I thought word on the street was 1st QR 2016 start

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 4:24 AM

In my dreams this is cancelled.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 1:44 PM
The City

Quote:
It's been cancelled

Dude, if you have something to say about this then back it up.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 3:20 PM
BANNED

I think it was cancelled by the EPA, exceeding max fecal limits.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 3:38 PM

the original SSP joke was always that it has topped out

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Ah okay, so it's a joke.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 6:43 PM

Quote:
HA! Comment of the day

Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 1:31 PM

My apologies, I mostly focus on Philly news so this is my first time seeing this RAMS building planned for Chicago....but to me it looks like a gigantic version of Stern's building currently under construction in Philadelphia (1601 Vine St.)...and some of his residential NYC work I am more familiar with. I guess every big city is getting these types of buildings from Stern.

[IMG]Screen-Shot-2014-07-25-at-2.07.16-PM

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=209700

Last edited by Jawnadelphia; Dec 19, 2015 at 7:41 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 11:53 PM
THAT Guy

Apparently going to start really soon

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...209-story.html

Quote:
Downtown condo prices rise above peak 2008 levels, report says
Gail MarksJarvis

...Among the new projects is One Bennett Park, a luxury building at 451 E. Grand Avenue in Streeterville that will combine both condos and rental units with peak prices for the market, said Curt Bailey, president of developer Related Midwest.

Bailey said construction is expected to begin within a few days on a 345-unit building designed by Robert A.M. Stern Architects, known for projects such as 15 Central Park West in New York City. The building will contain about 65 large condos geared toward families desiring luxury city living overlooking the lakeshore and Maggie Daley Park. Most of the building will be luxury rentals. It will contain about 280 rental units "priced at the top of the market," with what Bailey describes as "gracious kitchens" and a cobblestone courtyard with drive-in valet parking.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 12:59 AM
Development Shill

Seemingly out of nowhere, not that i'm complaining. Seeing this lot sit empty is a real eyesore, even if the end product isn't fantastic, it will end up being a nice skyline enhancer for Streeterville, which has really plateaued from 500-600 foot range

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive