HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 11:21 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleonzo View Post
I think its was geared towards your fellow NYC Skyscraperpager....for their opinions. It's no different than asking people who live in house about how they'd feel if they'd have to live in an apt or vice versa. No need for insults though...
If there is one place in the tri-state I wish I owned, a fantasy would be this home right here. Was up on the market too, IDK if its still up. They wanted like 5 million for it. But I'd rather live in a home like this than a similar priced unit in say Chelsea or on the UES.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7692...7i16384!8i8192

This is my favorite home in all of NJ.

Turn the view the other way as well!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I kind of have a bais for liking Union City. I'm a fan of it. Good culture in that city.
I meant Union City, CA. Which kind of looks like Jersey near Elizabeth/Linden (aka not scenic).

But, yeah. The best views of Manhattan are obviously from Jersey.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 11:26 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Ah, its still for sale!

Can anybody start a gofund me page for me? Let's all donate to make this the SSP community building. Assessible to everyone.

This is still a bargain compared to a Manhattan townhouse.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 12:49 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Gawd, Crawford, you always post cr*p that's so far from reality it's absurd.

The Marin Headlands are awesome any time of year and are right across the bridge from SF. It's their lack of being "integrated into urbanity" while being so close to urbanity that makes them such an urban asset. They are wild and wonderful along with their neighbors Muir Woods and Mt. Tamalpais.

As for the Appalachian Trail, it's great but not that close to New York and the proper analogue is not the vast stretches of Highway 1 both north and south of the Bay Area but the Pacific Crest Trail, all 2653 miles of it.
Sadly hundreds of miles of the PCT are closed right now due to fires.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 12:51 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Ah, its still for sale!

Can anybody start a gofund me page for me? Let's all donate to make this the SSP community building. Assessible to everyone.

This is still a bargain compared to a Manhattan townhouse.

And it's right next to the dueling grounds for when you get mad at someone.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 12:54 AM

When I went to UMass, about 25% of my class was from NYC/NJ. Lots of my friends included, many of whom married people from Boston and still live in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville. The sports rivalries are overblown; two of my close friends are obnoxious Sox/Yankees fans, and they've been happily married for 15 years. Their son is a Sox fan, but they live in Brooklyn (where she's from). My impression of New Yorkers' opinions of Boston is that it varies from tolerable amusement ("it's so nice and quaint!") to genuine like ("yeah, I stayed here after college, it's great - but the Sox still suck."). I've found people who grew up in the less intense parts of Brooklyn and Queens love Cambridge/Somerville/Malden/Medford etc. And I've found New Yorkers of all stripes love the Cape and the Islands. And Dunkin brings our two people together with a shared addiction to that liquid cocaine.

I'll also echo that my New York college friends shared Boston's sans-hockey love for Montreal. I think most of New York and New England loves Montreal.

When I went to Sophia, there were a good number of exchange students from NYC. To a person they'd say things to the effect of "Tokyo is the only other city I've been to that makes me feel as small as I do in New York." People recognized that there weren't as many tall buildings as back in NYC, but because there are no grids, the streets are narrower, and the scale continues on much further, Tokyo felt as big or bigger than NYC. Of course, to a person they also bitched about Tokyo's subways not running 24 hours.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 12:58 AM

Yeah, outside of sports, I don't recall much negativity re. Boston from New Yorkers.

Most seem to like it, and tons head there for college, business and leisure.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom hanks View Post
SF has been a lawless town since 1849. This isn't a new development lmao.
You were great in Saving Private Ryan, and I never miss Sleepless in Seattle. Forrest Gump, I can take it or leave it.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Muir Woods is tiny and an absolute zoo. I'll take the Lost Coast anytime.

And sorry, I don't like the arid, treeless stuff in CA. Love the coast, the redwoods, the mountains, hate the dry, dusty parts. Most of the time, the Headlands are brown. Looks like Andalusia in Spain. I try and visit during rainy season just bc I hate the dusty months.
Well, as long as we're being critical, the hot humid New York summers can be oppressive. Give me the cool Pacific breezes. Not only in the Bay Area, but all the way up and down the coast from Eureka to San Diego. The northern variety can be almost Arctic, while down near San Diego they are gentler and not freezing cold. Of course as you move 10-15 miles inland it can be as hot or hotter than NYC, without the thunderstorms except on rare late summer monsoon days when the Arizona monsoon spills into California. As far as the summer brown goes, hardly any rain falls in the summer, so it is normal to golden and brown up, although the summer fog keeps things green and the redwood groves are hanging in there for now. But this drought year is even worse than usual. The fires are devastasting.Could you send us some of your excess rain?

Last edited by CaliNative; Aug 28, 2021 at 2:53 AM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 2:02 AM

This thread in a nutshell: "Not great."

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Muir Woods is tiny and an absolute zoo. I'll take the Lost Coast anytime.

And sorry, I don't like the arid, treeless stuff in CA. Love the coast, the redwoods, the mountains, hate the dry, dusty parts. Most of the time, the Headlands are brown. Looks like Andalusia in Spain. I try and visit during rainy season just bc I hate the dusty months.
Sure the Lost Coast is better but first you were talking about places near to the urban core which the Lost Coast isn't and Muir Woods is. So now you change the subject.

There's a redwood "grove" in downtown San Francisco actually. It sits at the foot of the TransAmerica Building, seen here through the trees:

https://hoodline.com/2016/04/for-nat...-redwood-park/

Mother Nature at her finest isn't just about greenery but at the Marin Headlands it's about the interplay of sea, sky and awesome land. And it's not dusty--the dry grass holds the soil in place.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 2:19 AM

Even if they have never been there, everyone knows New York is the best city in the world, and residents of the city probably know that better than anyone, even if they've never been anywhere else.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 2:34 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Marin headlands >>>> Palisades

however, north of Peekskill the hudson valley is fantastic and SF doesn't really have anything comparable.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 2:42 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

What other location in the western world has 7 million people at more than 30,000 per square mile, while at the same time offering a varied built environment with thousands of highrises/skyscrapers from all eras, endless brownstones and apartments spanning all types of architecture, suburbs with plenty of worthwhile single family architecture, massive landmark bridges with interesting designs spanning several rivers, etc?

highrises alone would not make NYC special. it's the the extreme variety of the New York urban experience that makes it incomparable.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 2:54 AM

Red face

delete

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 2:55 AM
你的媽媽

The Lookout on the Palisades is over 17 miles, as the eagle flies, to the Empire State Building. The Marin Headlands are under 6 miles, as the eagle flies, to the Transamerica Pyramid. So technically the Marin Headlands are much closer to the urban core.

Not only that, the Palisades are but a tiny sliver of land, with what appears to be a lot of trees, yes... but not much else. The Headlands are just a small fraction of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area, which then flows seamlessly into Muir Woods, Stinson Beach, Mt Tamalpais, and the Point Reyes National Seashore. Basically 40 miles(!) of untouched, continuously publicly accessible open space, 5 miles from the urban core.

The diversity of the landscape is also quite profound, not only with the micro climates but the flora and vegetation. It's not just "dry dust". There are drier woodlands and chaparral shrubby areas and coastal praries, but also fog bathed coniferous forests with coastal redwoods and Douglas fir, wet meadows, waterfalls, creeks, and marshes. All this punctuated by sheer cliffs plummeting straight into the Pacific Ocean.

Let's be honest. NY has the concrete jungle thing on lock, but when it comes to preserving open space that is readily accessible from the urban core, SF takes the cake easily. Not only do you have the Marin Headlands, but to the south, you've got the same spectacular coastline stretching down to Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, and beyond.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
The Lookout on the Palisades is over 17 miles, as the eagle flies, to the Empire State Building. The Marin Headlands are under 6 miles, as the eagle flies, to the Transamerica Pyramid. So technically the Marin Headlands are much closer to the urban core.

Not only that, the Palisades are but a tiny sliver of land, with what appears to be a lot of trees, yes... but not much else. The Headlands are just a small fraction of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area, which then flows seamlessly into Muir Woods, Stinson Beach, Mt Tamalpais, and the Point Reyes National Seashore. Basically 40 miles(!) of untouched, continuously publicly accessible open space, 5 miles from the urban core.

The diversity of the landscape is also quite profound, not only with the micro climates but the flora and vegetation. It's not just "dry dust". There are drier woodlands and chaparral shrubby areas and coastal praries, but also fog bathed coniferous forests with coastal redwoods and Douglas fir, wet meadows, waterfalls, creeks, and marshes. All this punctuated by sheer cliffs plummeting straight into the Pacific Ocean.

Let's be honest. NY has the concrete jungle thing on lock, but when it comes to preserving open space that is readily accessible from the urban core, SF takes the cake easily. Not only do you have the Marin Headlands, but to the south, you've got the same spectacular coastline stretching down to Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, and beyond.

How are the redwoods holding up in this terrible drought? That tragic fire last year almost wiped out Big Basin. The redwoods will grow back, but it could take decades to get back to the way it looked before. The summer fog condensation keeps them going. Hopefully we have a wet winter.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 3:41 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom hanks View Post
I'd rather the 49ers move to the Moon than the City give one penny to the York family.

How about you get your friend back from the ocean? He misses you!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 3:43 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
How are the redwoods holding up in this terrible drought? That tragic fire last year almost wiped out Big Basin. The redwoods will grow back, but it could take decades to get back to the way it looked before. The summer fog condensation keeps them going. Hopefully we have a wet winter.
The fires last year impacted Big Basin quite a bit but fortunately it mainly affected the Douglas firs. Many of the old growth redwoods survived thankfully. They are resilient, magnificent beasts. I haven’t been back since then so I’m not sure where they are in the rebuilding process of the campgrounds but there’s still a lot of work to do. Fortunately there are still huge swaths of forest lands in the neighboring parks that weren’t affected by the fires so there are still plenty of places to go enjoy the big trees.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 3:47 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

the problem if you can call it that is if you live in nyc you are ruined for anywhere else. the only large cities that impress me as interesting are tokyo and sao paulo. even there i soon miss the diversity of nyc and am glad to be back.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions