HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 5:54 PM

2010-2020 wasn't an unusually large growth spurt for NYC, so it shouldn't be that shocking. The city grew by an even larger number in the 1990s (+685k) than it did in the 2010s (+629k). It's also obvious from being on the ground here that the city has grown noticeably this past decade. There is so much more housing here than there was 10 years ago.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 9:28 PM

Really curious to see if Monroe and Northampton counties in eastern PA join Pike county in become part of the NYC CSA. Or, will or the housing being developed in the city blunt the outward expansion of NYC CSA.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 9:37 PM

Bringing here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
Lower Manhattan & Financial District, New York

Francisca Urenda

That's a city where "Downtown" is actually Downtown + Midtown, taking half of Manhattan. In New York, urbanity is in a whole different level, so comparisons with other cities are pointless. For the purpose of this thread, I used 16 census tracts south of Canal, Bowery and Catherine streets as Lower Manhattan. A very small area of 3.5 km² only.

I also, used an even stricter area, south of Chambers St. and Brooklyn Bridge, to represent the Financial District. It has 2.15 km² only and that's where virtually all population growth took place.

It was where we've seen one of those big movements of residents turning CBDs into residential areas. Not directly related to it, but the it became more pronounced soon after the 9/11.

Anyway, let's see the numbers:

------------------------------------ 2020 ------ 2010 ------ 2000 ------ 1990 -------- Growth -------- Density

Financial District ------------------ 60,806 ----- 45,750 ----- 22,719 ----- 14,357 --- 32.9% ---- 101.4% ----- 58.2% ------- 2.2 km² --- 28,177.0 inh./km²

Lower Manhattan ----------------- 88,744 ----- 71,847 ----- 46,581 ----- 35,316 --- 23.5% ----- 54.2% ----- 31.9% ------- 3.5 km² --- 25,384.4 inh./km²

Manhattan --------------------- 1,694,251 -- 1,585,873 -- 1,537,195 -- 1,487,536 ---- 6.8% ------ 3.2% ------ 3.3% ------ 58.7 km² --- 28,872.7 inh./km²

New York City ----------------- 8,804,190 -- 8,175,133 -- 8,008,278 -- 7,322,564 ---- 7.7% ------ 2.1% ------ 9.4% ----- 778.2 km² --- 11,313.5 inh./km²

New York Metro Area -------- 22,692,839 - 21,358,372 - 20,675,403 - 19,083,415 ---- 6.2% ------ 3.3% ------ 8.3% ---- 21.770 km² ---- 1,042.4 inh./km²

Financial District population grew 3x (!!!) since 2000 and it's now as dense as Manhattan as a whole. They pretty much have invented "Downtown living".

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 8:51 PM

It was such a stupid concept that a downtown Financial District needed to be devoid of residential uses. Pre 9\11, the Financial District didn't have too many residents and as a result was quiet during non working hours and the weekend. More residential structures were build in the last 20 years and the area is as vibrant as ever with three times the residential population. More cities should relax their downtown zoning to allow residential and/or mixed uses and a more vibrant downtown.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 8:57 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Remember back in the day they said skyscrapers were dead in NYC?

57th Street Farms remembers.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 10:26 PM

It just occurred to me that NYC has a larger population than that of all of Washington state. That is astounding.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
It just occurred to me that NYC has a larger population than that of all of Washington state. That is astounding.
NYC is bigger than most states, lol. It's almost as big as New Jersey, and is bigger than every other state in the northeast except for NYS and PA.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 11:38 PM

Right, but Washington state is actually fairly large.

I guess the fact that it is almost larger than New Jersey is fairly impressive, but the fact that it is larger than Connecticut, for example, is not as unbelievable.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 4:05 PM

Quote:

I guess the fact that it is almost larger than New Jersey is fairly impressive, but the fact that it is larger than Connecticut, for example, is not as unbelievable.
I would love to see NYC overtake New Jersey in population. A pro-development mayor and council with the right zoning changes could make it happen within the next two decades.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
I would love to see NYC overtake New Jersey in population. A pro-development mayor and council with the right zoning changes could make it happen within the next two decades.
I believe northern NJ actually builds more housing per capita than NYC. It is the only part of NYC metro that is keeping up pace with the city.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 4:33 PM

Quote:

Well, if it were its own state, the state of New York City would nearly be one of the 10 largest states.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I believe northern NJ actually builds more housing per capita than NYC. It is the only part of NYC metro that is keeping up pace with the city.
North Jersey be like

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Well, if it were its own state, the state of New York City would nearly be one of the 10 largest states.
Exactly.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 2:26 AM
New Yorker for life

Tourists have been streaming back in....

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/p...?adppopup=true

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 3:39 AM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Tourists have been streaming back in....
Even though I hate dealing with tourists on the sidewalks, we need them to truly have the city back.

On a separate questions related to the thread: I was arguing with someone on a video about Guyana on YouTube. The guy claimed that there were 1 million Guyanese immigrants & Guyanese-Americans in NYC. I disputed that number heavily, citing the claim on Wikipedia:

Quote:
As of 1990, 80 percent of Guyanese Americans lived in the Northeast, especially around New York City, which is home to over 140,000 people of Guyanese descent. In Queens, 82,000 Guyanese represent the second largest foreign-born population in the borough
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guyanese_Americans

What does everyone think the real number is closer to? For me, it's simple. If there were truly as many as 1 million New Yorkers of Guyanese descent, they would be a legitimate voting bloc and local politicians would be actively courting them. I think 140K is a good number - large enough to have a huge community, but not large enough to be a true political heavyweight demographic.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 6:19 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post
The guy claimed that there were 1 million Guyanese immigrants & Guyanese-Americans in NYC.
That would mean NYC would have more Guyanese than Guyana itself, which has a population of 743,000. It's one of the world's least populous sovereign states, with just under 1.5 times the population of staten island

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
That would mean NYC would have more Guyanese than Guyana itself, which has a population of 743,000. It's one of the world's least populous sovereign states, with just under 1.5 times the population of staten island
140K seems the obvious correct answer considering NYC has so many other ethnic and immigrant groups from all over the world.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 2:22 PM

1 million sounds really crazy high. 143k sounds pretty low though, considering there are multiple neighborhoods that are almost entirely Guyanese.

Basically the whole corridor from Jamaica, Queens, heading west into Brooklyn, is now Guyanese. There's also an emerging corridor in the Bronx.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 3:59 PM

The Guyanese here also appear to be more of the Indian variety than Black as well. I know a lot of Guyanese who select “Indian” on the census, which may mask the true number of Guyanese per official counts.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post
Even though I hate dealing with tourists on the sidewalks, we need them to truly have the city back.

On a separate questions related to the thread: I was arguing with someone on a video about Guyana on YouTube. The guy claimed that there were 1 million Guyanese immigrants & Guyanese-Americans in NYC. I disputed that number heavily, citing the claim on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guyanese_Americans

What does everyone think the real number is closer to? For me, it's simple. If there were truly as many as 1 million New Yorkers of Guyanese descent, they would be a legitimate voting bloc and local politicians would be actively courting them. I think 140K is a good number - large enough to have a huge community, but not large enough to be a true political heavyweight demographic.
No way are there 1 million Guyanese in NYC. I doubt there are 1 million Guyanese in all of NY metro, either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions