HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 7, 2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
What are those?
The hammocks in hammock grove

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 2:30 AM
Show me the blueprints

Those are shoes. For your feet.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 3:12 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Kinda wish I had a mansion on Governors Island. All to myself, of course. Views are impeccable. Add a nice helipad, so I can commute to work like a boss.

Or I could convert it to a place where people pay to hunt. Almost like NYC's version of "The Most Dangerous Game".

Maybe we could place the restaurant owners with a C rating, and have them duke it out for an upgrade to an A. Just throwing some ideas around.

Day 4 2015 Unifest 074 by New York Unicycle Club, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 5:24 PM

Not that I'm a fan of the idea anyway (I think the London Eye is a tourist trap and an eyesore), but if you're going to build this shouldn't it be on Governor's Island rather than Staten Island:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/08/bu...reet-spin.html

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 6:20 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

That would probably look terrible in Govt Island. Would somewhat ruin the aesthetics of the skyline when viewed from the bay and from SW Brooklyn. In a way, it gives people an incentive to go to the island, and the mall should aid in generating some nice income for the area.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 6:48 PM

Putting the wheel on Governor's Island would ruin the downtown skyline from so many angles... even when looking south from midtown it would figure so prominently and obtrusively.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 1:20 PM

I think putting the Ferris wheel on Governors Island is a very bad idea. I agree with you that the London Eye is an awful eyesore, so I'm curious why you would want to set this one immediately next to downtown New York and have it tower over the Brooklyn Promenade and Statue of Liberty? Not to mention ruining the peaceful prettiness and sight lines of a new park that will likely need crowd control. I think it's perfect where it is. Far away.

Last edited by pico44; Sep 9, 2015 at 1:34 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 2:07 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Its better for the views in Staten Island. What Govt Island does need is a small bridge connecting it to Manhattan. Nothing overpowering, but a small, pedestrian walkway bridge would be sweet. Well, it could work, but now that I think about it, it might interfere with ships or boats.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 2:14 PM

Honestly the location of the London wheel that dominates the Parliament buildings - is an embarrassment. No reason to duplicate that mistake in NYC. Current site on SI is a good one.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 11:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Its better for the views in Staten Island. What Govt Island does need is a small bridge connecting it to Manhattan. Nothing overpowering, but a small, pedestrian walkway bridge would be sweet. Well, it could work, but now that I think about it, it might interfere with ships or boats.
Yes, a pedestrian bridge is the way to go. If it interferes with the shipping lanes, well there are other options. Best would be an underwater tunnel of some kind for pedestrians.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 6:48 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

====================
Credit: FC

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 11:35 PM

Thanks for the GI Hills dev. update chris08876

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 12:53 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Yes, a pedestrian bridge is the way to go. If it interferes with the shipping lanes, well there are other options. Best would be an underwater tunnel of some kind for pedestrians.
unless they bring back the wacky gondola idea -- the ferry service is fine.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Not that I'm a fan of the idea anyway (I think the London Eye is a tourist trap and an eyesore), but if you're going to build this shouldn't it be on Governor's Island rather than Staten Island:
One of the main reasons they put it on SI is to attract tourist there, icentivate the tourist going in the SI ferry and inmediately turn back to Manhattan to spend some time in SI. It is also attached to a larger development that includes mall and a hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
A "small" pedestrian bridge to Manhattan, really? that "small" bridge must be a kilometer long, in order to span the shortests distance between the two islands, but that would be landing at the SI Ferry piers, so, they'd have to make it longer so it lands in a different place avoiding the piers. Also, it should have the same clearance of the other East River bridges, which is 40 meters. They could make it movable, but I think they'd have to open it so many times during the day that it wouldn't be worthed, so no "small" bridge there.
If they build a tunnel, it should be as well a kilometer long, so, why would the people walk a kilometer on a dark tunnel while they could made the trip on a boat instead, under the sun and enjoing the vistas?

And not to mention how much it would cost to build either options (tunnel or bridge) I think that money could be better used in many other things.

But what I do think they should do, is begin to open the island all year round, instead of just in summer time.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 1:10 AM

A gondola / aerial tram makes a lot more sense

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 5:48 PM

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 4:08 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

De Blasio to unveil mixed-use project for Governors Island, sources say

Quote:
Mayor Bill de Blasio is expected to announce a significant economic development project on Governors Island during his State of the City speech Thursday night, multiple sources told POLITICO New York.

The project is one of several economic development initiatives the mayor is slated to discuss during his speech, the sources said.

De Blasio is giving control of the project to the Trust For Governors Island, which is expected to seek private developers to create a mixed-use facility on the car-free island, the sources said.

The formal solicitation for ideas would be issued in the summer and a request for bidders would be released later in the year, according to information provided by the mayor's office. Construction could begin as early as 2019.

Governors Island has 900,000 square feet of space that could be developed.

Three sources familiar with City Hall's plans said the mayor is looking to create spaces for a cultural institution, technology uses, education and business development.

A fourth source said the administration has toyed for a while with what to do with Governors Island, and that development on the land has always been a challenge because residential development is prohibited and transportation is scarce and reliant upon ferries, which are expensive.

Governors Island, which encompasses 172 acres, lies between Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn in the New York Harbor. It was home to a military base for nearly 200 years. The island is now open to the public during the summer season.
==============================
http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...nd-sources-say

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 10:11 PM

Horrible idea, it should be kept as open space and park land.

On the good news side, the Hills will open next summer, a year early. The warm witner has allowed them to continue construction

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 1:00 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
i don't like the idea of anything other than boats going to governors. Ferries go by the island every 10 minutes or so... all would take is a simple reroute. A boat could stop at the island every 15-20 minutes.

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 2:01 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post
Horrible idea, it should be kept as open space and park land.

On the good news side, the Hills will open next summer, a year early. The warm witner has allowed them to continue construction

The vast majority of the island is an open, public space. But that doesn't just happen for free. I spent a lot of time over there in the past year,
and it has already become one of my favorite places in the city. When the zombies finally do come, I think I can live out my days there...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development