HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #15081  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 2:12 AM
jtown,man jtown,man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,440
I can see the trains very well from my apartment, they are empty. There is no need to run them every 3 or 5 minutes. Social distancing will happen with 10-minute headways.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15082  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 5:24 AM
SIGSEGV's Avatar
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is offline
He/his/him. >~<, QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Loop, Chicago
Posts: 2,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
I can see the trains very well from my apartment, they are empty. There is no need to run them every 3 or 5 minutes. Social distancing will happen with 10-minute headways.
The south-side Green line is pretty empty under normal circumstances and the orange line is pretty uni-directional in demand. Based on the number of people I see from my apartment waiting for the 12 (or 18), there is some (but not very large) there must be some people riding the trains!
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead. Trump delenda est.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15083  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 9:59 AM
emathias's Avatar
emathias emathias is offline
Adoptive Chicagoan
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: River North, Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 5,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post
Are other agencies still running full service? From what I saw everyone from NYC to DC to San Fran is cutting back on service, which certainly makes sense during rush hour.

I mean why are they running headways of three minutes on the red and blue lines now when there's no on on them? I've seen the trains, they're all almost entirely empty at rush hour.

Why not just run every 8-10 minutes all day at this point on all lines?
If they have the money for payroll, especially if it's money the Feds have chipped in (I don't know that they do, but if) then it's worth keeping their staff employed, especially if they can work in ways that minimize risk.
__________________
I like travel and photography - check out my Flickr page.
CURRENT GEAR: Nikon Z6, Nikon Z 14-30mm f4 S, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4 S, Nikon 50mm f1.4G
STOLEN GEAR: (during riots of 5/30/2020) Nikon D750, Nikon 14-24mm F2.8G, Nikon 85mm f1.8G, Nikon 50mm f1.4D
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15084  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 5:51 PM
VKChaz VKChaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
The south-side Green line is pretty empty under normal circumstances and the orange line is pretty uni-directional in demand. Based on the number of people I see from my apartment waiting for the 12 (or 18), there is some (but not very large) there must be some people riding the trains!
Am seeing bus after bus run about empty, including rush hr express buses which cater to people who are working remote. NY and elsewhere seem to be reducing service. It definitely should be happening, if it isn't already.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15085  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 2:49 PM
MayorOfChicago's Avatar
MayorOfChicago MayorOfChicago is offline
You had me at herro...
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Lakeview, Chicago
Posts: 2,169
I looked a bit and I can't find any other city still running at rush hour services except Chicago. During the nice weather I was out in our park almost all day and every single bus I saw go by on Irving Park road had a max of 0-3 people on board.

I go downtown to my office once a week and I actually got stuck on LaSalle because of traffic. People are parking on the sides of the street now and there's really only one solid lane down LaSalle. There is such a crush of rush hour buses still coming down that traffic was backed up pretty bad, and it looked crazy because it was all buses.

I look every time at every bus and I actually never saw more than 2 people on any of the dozens of large accordian or regular buses on LaSalle or passing on any side street. Many of the buses didn't even have their interior lights on because they were never going to have any passengers anyway.

I can see the blue line and hear it from my house, it runs constantly and I never see anyone really on any of the trains.

From a pollution and usage standpoint it's kinda insane they are running as much as they can at this point - almost all entirely empty.
__________________
So I was out biking with Jesus last week...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15086  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 3:30 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 14,259
I mean, having 2 people on a bus (or railcar) is really the ideal for social distancing. We'd be polluting the same amount if the pandemic was not occurring.

I'm not sure it makes sense to continue with the rush hour service pattern, though, since the essential workers still using CTA are less likely to be 9-5 and more likely to be shift workers.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15087  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 8:19 PM
VKChaz VKChaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post
I looked a bit and I can't find any other city still running at rush hour services except Chicago. During the nice weather I was out in our park almost all day and every single bus I saw go by on Irving Park road had a max of 0-3 people on board.

I go downtown to my office once a week and I actually got stuck on LaSalle because of traffic. People are parking on the sides of the street now and there's really only one solid lane down LaSalle. There is such a crush of rush hour buses still coming down that traffic was backed up pretty bad, and it looked crazy because it was all buses.

I look every time at every bus and I actually never saw more than 2 people on any of the dozens of large accordian or regular buses on LaSalle or passing on any side street. Many of the buses didn't even have their interior lights on because they were never going to have any passengers anyway.

I can see the blue line and hear it from my house, it runs constantly and I never see anyone really on any of the trains.

From a pollution and usage standpoint it's kinda insane they are running as much as they can at this point - almost all entirely empty.
I don't know what the city is saying about this, but it makes no sense to me. CTA announced it expects a $551 mil shortfall this year ($1 bil for all of RTA). The federal government is providing some support, but this shortfall will go on past this year. They need to be thinking long term about how stretch the resources

Last edited by VKChaz; Apr 16, 2020 at 8:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15088  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 9:27 PM
SIGSEGV's Avatar
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is offline
He/his/him. >~<, QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Loop, Chicago
Posts: 2,489
So buses are no longer collecting fares and requiring people to board via the rear door though. The problem is that many buses don't have a way for the operator to open the rear-door, so people have ot pull it open with their hands. That sounds like a very unsanitary thing to do...
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead. Trump delenda est.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15089  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 6:33 AM
N830MH N830MH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
So buses are no longer collecting fares and requiring people to board via the rear door though. The problem is that many buses don't have a way for the operator to open the rear-door, so people have ot pull it open with their hands. That sounds like a very unsanitary thing to do...
That is correct. All passengers must go rear doors, not in front door. Wheelchair still have go in front door. No longer collecting fares. You still have take a rail. I don't think you can pay fares for rail.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15090  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 2:38 PM
IrishIllini IrishIllini is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,071
Is there a reason riders are boarding through the rear? Seems counter intuitive.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15091  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 4:04 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is online now
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 18,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Is there a reason riders are boarding through the rear? Seems counter intuitive.
My best guess is that this is to protect the CTA bus driver from exposure
__________________
Missing Rahm
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15092  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 2:41 PM
SIGSEGV's Avatar
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is offline
He/his/him. >~<, QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Loop, Chicago
Posts: 2,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
My best guess is that this is to protect the CTA bus driver from exposure
Yeah, I imagine the CTA union demanded this (along with full service). Terrible for revenue but good for social distancing I guess.
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead. Trump delenda est.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15093  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 12:52 AM
Mr Downtown's Avatar
Mr Downtown Mr Downtown is offline
Urbane observer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,157
Most urban systems were doing this 10 days before CTA finally gave in.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15094  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 8:13 PM
jtown,man jtown,man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,440
Dick Durban just wrote me back lol It was likely auto-generated but whatever.

Does anyone have the amount the RTA will be getting from the first stimulus bill?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15095  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 8:22 PM
Mr Downtown's Avatar
Mr Downtown Mr Downtown is offline
Urbane observer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,157
$1.4 billion.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15096  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 8:26 PM
SIGSEGV's Avatar
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is offline
He/his/him. >~<, QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Loop, Chicago
Posts: 2,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Dick Durban just wrote me back lol It was likely auto-generated but whatever.

Does anyone have the amount the RTA will be getting from the first stimulus bill?
"Durbin" accidentally sent me two identical emails at the same time
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead. Trump delenda est.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15097  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 10:20 PM
Vlajos Vlajos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
$1.4 billion.
Wow, that sounds like quite a bit. Is that split between CTA and Metra, Pace?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15098  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 2:49 AM
jtown,man jtown,man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
"Durbin" accidentally sent me two identical emails at the same time
lol Jesus


So, if they are getting 1.4 billion, that means they are good, right?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15099  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 3:59 AM
Mr Downtown's Avatar
Mr Downtown Mr Downtown is offline
Urbane observer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Wow, that sounds like quite a bit. Is that split between CTA and Metra, Pace?
Yes. Not sure if the actual split has been decided yet, but news stories said CTA was expected to get about $800m.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15100  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 3:39 PM
VKChaz VKChaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 400
fwiw: CNN article on transit "reopening." Not much info on Chicago, general info on distancing procedures, financial needs include NYC seeking an additional $4B in emergency aid.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/27/us/ma...ing/index.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:02 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.