HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
My point was more to show that San Jose was not even top fiddle in Santa Calra County, rather than to show that San Francisco is not nearly as dominant as it should be, but I guess both are true!
When was this data taken; it seems low. I wonder what it proves as I suspect many people who work in San Francisco live there. Also, downtown SF has a decent size downtown in office space, but it is not super large and dominant as say NYC and Chicago downtown. I think San Francisco is the dominant city in Northern California as it is considered the cultural and historical hub. It is true that SF may no longer be dominant in business with the rise of Silicon Valley, but Silicon Valley is really a multi-mode cluster of cities. But the city most people think of in northern California is San Francisco. Perhaps it's a reason why SF and San Jose are separate metros by the US census.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
When was this data taken; it seems low.
Caltrain doesn't have super high passenger counts. I mean, for a single line, in the U.S. context, it has decent ridership, but not really that many commuters.

Also, the Caltrain SF station isn't right downtown, so isn't super-convenient to a big part of the core, likely limiting ridership.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
It suggests the Bay Area, as expected, has much more diffuse commuting patterns than, say, Chicago. I imagine Stanford plays a big role, but it's kinda amazing that puny Palo Alto has half the passenger count as SF. Imagine if Evanston or Hyde Park carried half the passengers of the downtown Chicago stations.

Bay Area really is a region rather than a traditional metro area, with an universally identifiable, dominant center.
More than Stanford, the Palo Alto station is where you finally hit east Palo Alto, where the higher concentration of low-income residents are less likely to own a car and more dependent on public transit to get to/from work. But yeah, commuting pattern data is meaningless in this discussion.

Last edited by ocman; Jun 13, 2020 at 1:31 AM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 1:44 AM

San Jose loses population on workdays, when its residents commute to their tech jobs in other suburbs like Santa Clara and Mountain View. This "capital of Silicon Valley" moniker was a successful P.R. campaign. San Jose is the bedroom of Silicon Valley.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 3:12 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
More than Stanford, the Palo Alto station is where you finally hit east Palo Alto, where the higher concentration of low-income residents are less likely to own a car and more dependent on public transit to get to/from work. But yeah, commuting pattern data is meaningless in this discussion.
That is not the typical Caltrain rider in Palo Alto. There are a lot of Caltrain commuters to Stanford though... if you don't want to live on campus as a grad student or postdoc or junior faculty member (yes, Stanford provides housing for faculty...), then Palo Alto is likely unaffordable so many commute from Mountain View or Redwood City (or even Potrero or Dogpath).

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
San Jose loses population on workdays, when its residents commute to their tech jobs in other suburbs like Santa Clara and Mountain View. This "capital of Silicon Valley" moniker was a successful P.R. campaign. San Jose is the bedroom of Silicon Valley.
Sunnyvale -80K
Santa Clara -67K
San Mateo-57K
Mountain View -46K
Redwood City -46K
Palo Alto -33K
Cupertino -27K
Menlo Park -16K

San Jose -545K

This is a rough google search of city employment data I got from datausa.io/.

SJ has 1/3 of the population of SV, so it would also lose population during the day compared to cities where few people live.

*San Francisco: 537K

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 4:31 AM
Never Dell

Central cities usually gain population during the day.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 5:38 AM

Central cities usually also have the largest population.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 4:18 PM

Usually but not always.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 6:29 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Is the Bay Area the only metro in the US or world in which the major city isn’t the largest in population? I can’t think of anywhere else with that dynamic.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 10:18 PM

Probably Hampton Roads qualifies.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 11:29 PM
Never Dell

Sometimes a secondary city has simply annexed an enormous amount of land. That's the case with SJ.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Is the Bay Area the only metro in the US or world in which the major city isn’t the largest in population? I can’t think of anywhere else with that dynamic.
Washington?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 12:27 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
It's common for the major city to be a small fraction of the population, and then how that's apportioned around other municipalities may not be so important.

In the US, someone mentioned Hampton Roads. I think Cape Coral is also bigger than Ft. Myers. North Charleston is almost as big as Charleston, for example, and it wouldn't be surprising if it overtook Charleston. St. Louis County is bigger than St. Louis, although it's not a unified city I get the impression it sometimes kind of acts like one.

One notable global example is that Quezon City is bigger than Manila. New Taipei City is also bigger than Taipei.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Sunnyvale -80K
Santa Clara -67K
San Mateo-57K
Mountain View -46K
Redwood City -46K
Palo Alto -33K
Cupertino -27K
Menlo Park -16K

San Jose -545K

This is a rough google search of city employment data I got from datausa.io/.

SJ has 1/3 of the population of SV, so it would also lose population during the day compared to cities where few people live.

*San Francisco: 537K
Where are you getting your numbers?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 5:10 AM

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Victoria is another metro area where the central city isn't the one that has the highest population.

Vancouver could become like this soon, I think Surrey is on track to pass Vancouver soon-ish at current growth rates.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Washington?
Huh?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB0679 View Post
Huh?
I assume he's referring to Baltimore, which traditionally had a larger population than DC, though no longer, I think.

Also, if you want to be super-pedantic, the District of Columbia isn't an incorporated city, but a federal district.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 2:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I assume he's referring to Baltimore, which traditionally had a larger population than DC, though no longer, I think.
The swap occurred rather quickly and definitively over the course of the last decade with DC's fast growth and Baltimore's continued slide.

2010 pop.:

Baltimore - 621K
DC - 602K

2019 estimate:

Baltimore - 593K
DC - 706K

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 16, 2020 at 3:10 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
The change over occurred rather quickly and definitively over the course of the last decade with DC's fast growth and Baltimore's continued slide.

2010 pop.:

Baltimore - 621K
DC - 602K

2019 estimate:

Baltimore - 593K
DC - 706K
How much further does Baltimore have to slide? St. Louis as well for that matter - about to fall below 300,000.

It seems as though Detroit and Pittsburgh have just about leveled out, while Cincinnati has slowly been recovering from it's bottom and other municipalities such as Newark and Minneapolis have been growing steadily once again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions