HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 7:04 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://kenoraonline.com/local/rickf...on-on-twinning
Yo, 12 years later, we may for real... :’D

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 7:47 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

how is a major thoroughfare like this not twined its a national embarisment

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:09 PM

Is Ontario making it limited access like they are doing with the southern leg south of Sudbury?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:56 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^No, just divided.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 10:09 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I was gonna say, if K Town were part of Manitoba, it would have been divided all the way to Longbow Lake.
That said, was the current divided section east of Winnipeg completed in the 80s or earlier? I was on Google’s time lap machine a while back. They went as far back as 1984 and, to my surprise, TCH seemed already divided/twinned east of Winnipeg by that time. Also I’m guessing that Canadian Shield “begins” east of Prawda? The EB lanes look legacy to me. (Well, I’m wondering also because there’s no farmland east of there.)

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 2:23 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I was gonna say, if K Town were part of Manitoba, it would have been divided all the way to Longbow Lake.
That said, was the current divided section east of Winnipeg completed in the 80s or earlier? I was on Google’s time lap machine a while back. They went as far back as 1984 and, to my surprise, TCH seemed already divided/twinned east of Winnipeg by that time. Also I’m guessing that Canadian Shield “begins” east of Prawda? The EB lanes look legacy to me. (Well, I’m wondering also because there’s no farmland east of there.)
The TCH has been twinned in Manitoba pretty much as it is today with the exception of the western leg from somewhere past Brandon to Saskatchewan for decades and decades.

As to it being twinned through NWO were it Manitoban...ha ha ha.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 3:08 AM

Kenora was once part of Manitoba. Most there wouldn't mind if it still were given the difference in gas price, amongst other things. Most decisions made in that province have to do with the extreme southern area (GTA).

Also, hydro rates there are three or four times ours depending upon the time of day. They have "smart" meters there. Better to dry your clothes or cook in the middle of the night.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Here's where you can look for answers to questions like that... I think you might find this interesting.

https://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/maparchive/index.html

It looks like the route was twinned to its current configuration sometime in the mid to late 70s. The TCH route itself from near St. Anne to the Ontario border has only existed since about the mid 50s.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 1:39 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Here's where you can look for answers to questions like that... I think you might find this interesting.

It looks like the route was twinned to its current configuration sometime in the mid to late 70s. The TCH route itself from near St. Anne to the Ontario border has only existed since about the mid 50s.
Beautiful! Thanks.
Yea I learned that Trunk 44 used to be the TCH route.
That said, M.I.T. has really gotten complacent since then, eh?
M.I.T.: “Let’s call it a day...”
Angry people: “DO YOU GUYS EVEN KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE LOST THEIR LIVES ON PERIMETER HIGHWAY?!?!”

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Beautiful! Thanks.
Yea I learned that Trunk 44 used to be the TCH route.
That said, M.I.T. has really gotten complacent since then, eh?
Haha... yeah, I get the impression that Manitoba more or less kept pace with other provinces in terms of standards for major highways up until about the early 80s, and then it dropped off... it felt like not much happened from around, say, 1985 to 2005. And while things did get moving again eventually, it's still at a slow pace compared to elsewhere. The fact that the Perimeter and TCH (at least the busier parts near Winnipeg) still has traffic lights is a joke.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 4:50 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

It used to be twinned just to Ste. Anne with the new configuration to the Whiteshell, including the changes to Highway 44 (which used to slice off from Highway 17 just a bit inside Ontario), being completed around 1970, I recall. I just barely remember it and I think I’d have been around six.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 12:52 PM

Under Duff Roblin in the 60s there was a lot planned and completed.

I think we really benefitted from this foresight well into the 70s when a lot of these projects were completed. TCH twinning from Brandon to Ontario is an example. PTH 75 wasn’t addressed until the 80-90s. 100/101 had various projects like 101/8, 101/7 and the NE segment.

Look at the North. A lot of the infrastructure there didn’t occur until well into the 70s and 80s. Hydro and mining helped given the low population. This probably detracted from projects in the south in a similar way to the focus in Ontario between southern and NW.

Manitoba’s economy wasn’t great in the 70s and 80s. Healthcare took up greater portions of the budget. We’ve had a decent time lately, but the future is worrisome given COVID.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 12:58 PM

It must be tough working at MIT. They’re civil engineers and like designing stuff. They know what to do. It must be very hard given their constraints.

If only Gov of MB would commit to a 10-15 year timetable. You build up the local talent and keep the machinery here and move from project to project.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 5:03 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Kenora was once part of Manitoba. Most there wouldn't mind if it still were given the difference in gas price, amongst other things. Most decisions made in that province have to do with the extreme southern area (GTA).

Also, hydro rates there are three or four times ours depending upon the time of day. They have "smart" meters there. Better to dry your clothes or cook in the middle of the night.
Not true.

We can opt out of time of use rates and just pay a constant rate, I am presently paying $0.126/kwh. Last month I used $29.11 worth of electricity, about the same as my bills in Manitoba.

https://www.oeb.ca/rates-and-your-bi...ity-price-plan

Last edited by Riverman; Feb 5, 2021 at 5:15 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 5:18 PM

^I had no idea. I have a ton a family there. No one's ever mentioned it.

Thanks!

Are you using solar as well?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 5:40 PM

I don’t know if this has been discussed here or not. The results of the public consultation for the 206/213 intersection (Garven road north of Oakbank) are out. The majority of people seemed in favour of a roundabout vs. lights or no change, and the province is going ahead with that feedback.

https://gov.mb.ca/asset_library/enga...t_we_heard.pdf

Usual comments about how “MAnItObanS canT DriVE iN RouNdaBoUts” are there, complaining like this is the first roundabout ever built in the province. Also had a good laugh at a comment saying nothing should be done, just additional enforcement is needed, cause its just reckless drivers that are causing all the trouble.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 5:41 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
how is a major thoroughfare like this not twined its a national embarisment
I don't know about that.

I made the Winnipeg-Toronto trip twice (both one-way) in summer 2018. First in late June, second in late August. First trip I took the American route Duluth-Makinac-Sarnia, the second time was through Ontario. The highway through Ontario was in good condition with virtually no traffic, and somewhat scenic, but most of the way is through remote wilderness. Not very appealing, especially in an older car. The southern route while busier is a whole lot more scenic and civilized.

If one had to travel that trip a lot I'm sure the southern route would be the default route, which makes sense as there is so little traffic through NW Ontario. So I don't see the point in twinning an underused highway.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 5:44 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Are you using solar as well?
No, the only power hungry appliance is the air conditioner.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
which makes sense as there is so little traffic through NW Ontario. So I don't see the point in twinning an underused highway.
Hmm, "so little traffic" does not describe my experience driving there and back while everyone's travelling to cottage country. With the exception of this past (COVID) summer I do this a number of times each year. Every Friday, every end of long weekend and any holiday in general this is a very busy highway.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 6:23 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Hmm, "so little traffic" does not describe my experience driving there and back while everyone's travelling to cottage country. With the exception of this past (COVID) summer I do this a number of times each year. Every Friday, every end of long weekend and any holiday in general this is a very busy highway.
It really depends where.
MB/ON border to Dinorwic: Awful, though lack of passing opportunities is why.
Dinorwic to Ignace: It gets better here.
Ignace to Kakabeka Falls: mostly clear - I didn’t see a car in front of me until 45 minutes later. It was my first desolate drive in Ontario in day time.
Kakabeka Falls to Port Arthur (T Bay): I don’t know because I drove at 7:30 pm.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan