HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
So are we now referring to anything over 40 stories in Phoenix as a 'supertall' when everywhere else that means 1000'+?
Considering height restrictions by the feds we might as well.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
(I’m thinking something ala Rainy Street in Austin),
Wasn't familiar; now I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
It wanted to create an entertainment and cultural district with office, retail, cultural amenities and more.
That's quite the multi-block proposal.

I have thought about both the sports facilities, convention center area and wonder what it could become some day?

It doesn't necessarily take that much land to create something special. There's a nearly full block parking lot - the West Lot - currently under construction across from Coors Field and being developed by the Rockies. It's one of the last sites in LoDo and height restriction is ~15 stories.

It's called McGregor Square.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 5:54 PM

The bullding directly S of the Union @ Roosevelt, 830 N 1st Ave (the red roof), is being demolished currently. I heard from a resident in U@R that the developer was planning on a 2nd phase of the project and it would include expanding towards the current dirt lot.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 6:04 PM
Modulator

Quote:
The bullding directly S of the Union @ Roosevelt, 830 N 1st Ave (the red roof), is being demolished currently. I heard from a resident in U@R that the developer was planning on a 2nd phase of the project and it would include expanding towards the current dirt lot.
I've always wondered if this would happen. Makes sense for them to extend Union and the space is there.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 6:19 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
This would be good news--the red-roofed building, the lot to the north, and the parking area to the south are all owned by the original developer.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 10:05 PM

Quick tidbits on how the public meetings have gone thus far to decide the future of Convention Center - South Building. Leaning towards the last option plus of course, breaking up the mega block

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...on-center.html
Quote:
  1. Leave the south building as it is.
  2. Leave the south building as it is for now, but consider a revised master plan after reviewing the results of the study, and look for financing options for the construction, which will likely be $200 million to $300 million.
  3. Create a request for proposals to send out to developers, which would allow for a full redevelopment of the site and not have convention center uses on the parcel any more.
  4. Create a request for proposals that only allows for a partial redevelopment of the site and keeps a portion designated for the convention center.
  5. Create a request for proposals that requires the successful applicant to build a new convention center building on the site, along with private development. Mackay said this option would likely require a “creative public-private partnership” because the convention center building will likely cost $200 million to $300 million, and the appraised value of the site is about $40 million.

Mackay said the 9.27-acre site is extraordinarily large, and community members have expressed desires to break up the “mega-block” to allow for pedestrian permeability through the site with a mix of uses for downtown residents to use. Community feedback has also focused heavily on architecture, color and shade.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 12:38 AM

So what is going on on the south side of the convention center? Fencing and screening and they are digging up the sidewalk and planting south of the building.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 10:19 PM
Modulator

Went to Park Central for lunch today. Looked at the Creighton construction. Column rebar is already being assembled and a couple concrete shutters are getting put together. This one is going to go up fast.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Went to Park Central for lunch today. Looked at the Creighton construction. Column rebar is already being assembled and a couple concrete shutters are getting put together. This one is going to go up fast.
They also painted the old short parking garage on the north side. Big improvement.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 3:43 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
They also painted the old short parking garage on the north side. Big improvement.
Nice catch. Didn't even notice it

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 1:53 AM

https://frontdoorsmedia.com/2019/07/...ntown-phoenix/

New Pathways (the facility for at-risk youth at the SE corner of Pierce and 10th St) is moving to a larger location on Jefferson St just down the road. I find this significant because I heard from a reputable source that True North is buying into Garfield and this property is among the ones to be reconfigured for something complementing Welcome Diner and the rest of that corner.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 2:12 AM

I've been told the same thing about true north getting into Garfield.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 4:29 PM

Article on the Pivotal Group proposal for the NEC of Indian School/Central.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...up/1839374001/

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 4:44 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Article on the Pivotal Group proposal for the NEC of Indian School/Central.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...up/1839374001/
$1 billion is a massive amount of development. Glad to see that the Encanto VPC is on-board with this.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 6:16 PM

This gives me horrible 2007 vibes.

I know nobody is anticipating a recession like 2008 and neither do I plus I think we all agree economically Phoenix and Arizona are in a much healthier place than before 2008 ...but when these projects become so big and grandiose I begin to get a little nervous

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 7:04 PM

You have every right to be nervous. I see three red flags:

1. proposed development with a value not in line with other private developments in this city.
2. planned commencement of construction within 24 months is basically a developer's way of saying "we're watching the market and if it holds up we will start".
3. a table full of ideas. It's like they sat down in a conference room, everyone had an opinion on what to build, and the guy in charge said "fine let's just do them all".

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 8:53 PM

Regency Garage RFP Is Out

https://solicitations.phoenix.gov/So...achmentId=2496

Quote:
The 41.2KSF site currently houses the Regency Parking Garage, a multi-story structure with commercial space on the ground floor that provides parking for the Phoenix Convention Center. The City of Phoenix wishes the selected firm to “create an appropriately dense, infill redevelopment project that capitalizes on the Site’s prominent urban location and provide a mix of complementary land uses that facilitate urban activation, which may include office, hotel, retail, restaurant, residential, civic space, or other compatible urban uses,” according to the RFP.

The site is bounded by Adams Street to the North and by 2nd Street to the East. It is also bounded by 1st Street on the West and by a public alley to the South. The site is surrounded by ASU’s Downtown Phoenix Campus, Phoenix Convention Center, a full-service hotel and a high-rise tower and retail/commercial space. According to the RFP, the desired project should, “Incorporate enhanced pedestrian-oriented amenities and ground floor activation along Adams, 1st and 2nd streets, promoting walkability with direct connections to adjacent bus and light rail transit stops, pedestrian links and bicycle facilities.”

If the project is residential, the city wishes for a minimum of 10 percent of the dwelling units to be used for workforce housing in order to “attract a range of household income brackets,” the RFP states.

The successful respondent will also incorporate parking through a “shared parking model” for use by the general public.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 9:10 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
This should be an interesting development. Can't wait to see the submitted proposals. I expect a lot of creativity with this one.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Proposer must have delivered at least 1 vertical mixed-use development of at least 7 stories within the last 5 years.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Proposer must have delivered at least 1 vertical mixed-use development of at least 7 stories within the last 5 years.
The city is learning from prior failed rfp’s

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest