HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 7:24 PM

There are Piles going in at the old Shell Station site at Notre Dame and Tecumseh. Is this HSC related? Or something more interesting?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
There are Piles going in at the old Shell Station site at Notre Dame and Tecumseh. Is this HSC related? Or something more interesting?
It's an apartment building, someone posted about it here before but I can't remember the details.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 7:31 PM

^ah, thanks. Lots of activity on that site today. Glad to see the site finally being used. It must have been vacant for about twenty years.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 8:02 PM

There was a good amount of what looked to be excavation activity taking place at 198 Sherbrook St. this morning.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 8:07 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's an apartment building, someone posted about it here before but I can't remember the details.
4 storey, 45 units

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 8:21 PM

Not sure if it was mentioned, maybe even by me. The Cineplex at KP has been under construction again for a while now. Looks like it's almost closed in, finally. Not sure that means anything for the rest of the mall expansion though.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
4 storey, 45 units

[img]
Thanks! Not too shabby. It will fit in with the streetscape along Notre Dame in that area.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
We sold the site for studentesque housing… It should be a good use… a very practical solution.

We wish them well.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
so...
Effective 31 December 2021, the Winnipeg Railway Museum, home of the Countess of Dufferin, first steam locomotive in western Canada, will be closing because VIA Rail is no longer willing to provide space in the Union Station. The museum operators hope to relocate to another site.

that suxs
this info was posted up on the mhs facebook groupd
To me this is a good sign that talks for RT through Union Station are progressing because that was contingent on VIA not renewing the lease with the museum and having it relocated.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
To me this is a good sign that talks for RT through Union Station are progressing because that was contingent on VIA not renewing the lease with the museum and having it relocated.
I've never seen the lease for the museum but I'm fairly sure VIA wouldn't have locked itself into a long-term iron clad lease for the railway museum. They've always known RT was looming in future. The railway museum knew it too, they've never permanently settled in there. Even though it's 30 years old it always had a "temporary" feeling to it.

Maybe the wheels are finally starting to turn...

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 5:57 PM

It may not be possible to physically fit the trains into the Bay building but that seems like a perfect thing to take up some of the basement space.

Would also be an opportunity for the museum to partner with the Manitoba Transit Heritage Association to create a permanent space for their bus fleet. Could call it the Winnipeg transportation museum.

Or the museum could be a sort of anchor tenant for Railside which would be on theme.
Small stain

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dam_well View Post
It may not be possible to physically fit the trains into the Bay building but that seems like a perfect thing to take up some of the basement space.

Would also be an opportunity for the museum to partner with the Manitoba Transit Heritage Association to create a permanent space for their bus fleet. Could call it the Winnipeg transportation museum.

Or the museum could be a sort of anchor tenant for Railside which would be on theme.
Midwest Rail has been trying to get a permanent railway museum done for 40 years, I don't see it happening. I would be content to see the Countess of Dufferin moved into the Manitoba Museum to ensure that at least it remains protected and preserved.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 6:27 PM

The Forks is a great location for the railway/transit museum, they would just need to find money. Portions of Railside are marked off for "cultural reserve" so I'm sure there would be space available if they got funding.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Midwest Rail has been trying to get a permanent railway museum done for 40 years, I don't see it happening. I would be content to see the Countess of Dufferin moved into the Manitoba Museum to ensure that at least it remains protected and preserved.
Fair enough, although I guess there's more urgency now that the temporary space is gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The Forks is a great location for the railway/transit museum, they would just need to find money. Portions of Railside are marked off for "cultural reserve" so I'm sure there would be space available if they got funding.
I wonder if they can find funds from the same sources as the Aviation Museum. That museum seems to have done pretty well for itself although it seems like a bigger and better run operation.
Small stain

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 6:47 PM

^ Now that you mention it, the MHTA and Midwest Rail could have been good candidates to partner up with RAMWC to create a transportation museum at the airport. That could have been pretty good. I wonder if they even had that discussion, or did RAMWC just want to focus on building a facility for itself?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 11:43 PM

That would've been a huge museum if that happened. My guess is the RAMWC wanted to stay more focused though.
Small stain

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 5:55 PM

What is being built next to Chapters Polo Park? There are quite a number of piles there.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 5:57 PM
What could go wrong?

I think it is a Burger King. I heard they were building in the HD/Chapters lot somewhere.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I think it is a Burger King. I heard they were building in the HD/Chapters lot somewhere.
Ugh

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 7:44 PM
What could go wrong?

I have no knowledge on this one other than remembering something about BK as a possibility, so I may be wrong.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan