HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
People seem to be forgetting that it used to look like this.
But the old building is not what's at issue here...we're talking about the new one.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 8:40 PM

New doesnt mean better. The new building is cool and unique. We'll see how everything looks when it's all said and done. Overall I think it's cool, like I said. If we want to talk about how it fits with the original, IMO it's doing zero favours.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 9:02 PM
surely you agree with me

That strip mall facade cut into one of the most important pieces of architecture in Canada is even more ham fisted than I feared. The floor is not at sidewalk level so they had to add a freaking ramp to it. It blows my mind that an art gallery of all places would not respect the design and desecrate the building for something as crass as a commercial gift shop. The WAG is better than that.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 9:51 PM

Up close that looks a lot worse than I thought it did.
Small stain

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 6:44 AM

I'm not sure about the glazing, but otherwise I think the addition is a very successful intervention. Yes, it alters the existing building (which I was a fan of), but the juxtaposition is interesting and respectful. It doesn't erase the sculptural qualities of the original, rather it is two sculptures juxtaposed. It is really only one face that looks substantially different, and even there you see the qualities of the original.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dam_well View Post
Up close that looks a lot worse than I thought it did.
the soffit looks particularly bad. is that the finished product?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance View Post
I'm not sure about the glazing, but otherwise I think the addition is a very successful intervention. Yes, it alters the existing building (which I was a fan of), but the juxtaposition is interesting and respectful. It doesn't erase the sculptural qualities of the original, rather it is two sculptures juxtaposed. It is really only one face that looks substantially different, and even there you see the qualities of the original.
I agree. Plus, I am sure people in wheelchairs or with limited mobility aren't as offended by the ramp leading to the door. Just sayin'

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I agree. Plus, I am sure people in wheelchairs or with limited mobility aren't as offended by the ramp leading to the door. Just sayin'
Indeed. I thought eyes on the street and open building faces were hallmarks of good design! I guess not in this case. As for the ramp, where are all our accessibility advocates now? I guess those in wheelchairs only deserve equal access when it doesn't interfere with what some perceive as great architecture.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 2:03 AM

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 3:54 AM

I have to admit, it looks great when you're heading up Osborne N.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
It blows my mind that an art gallery of all places would not respect the design and desecrate the building for something as crass as a commercial gift shop. The WAG is better than that.
That's the part that surprises me most too. It's the principle behind it. It would be a travesty to alter the artworks within the gallery, yet somehow the iconic piece of architecture that encloses the galleries is exempt from being treated with the same respect. And is this all in the hope of getting more foot traffic to enter the gift shop? I would imagine that most of their sales come from people who are either visiting the galleries, or people who came to the shop as destination--to find a cool gift. But I guess they want to attract random passerby's to pop in and spontaneously buy an $80 coffee mug.

Last edited by Kris22; Sep 25, 2020 at 7:46 AM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 6:15 PM

^Yup, all those hoards of people walking down the east side of Memorial.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 11:02 PM
Starring as himself

I would have thought that they'd have had a building committee that would be mandated to ensure that the design of the building is respected. I guess someone thought it was a way of uniting the two designs, but to me it diminishes the experience of entering the gallery, which was quite brilliantly orchestrated, and degrades the geometry of the facade.

To be fair, it faithfully reflects the reinvention of art museums as shopping destinations over the past 20-30 years. Can hardly wait to see how the Big Gulp and Lotto 6/49 signs look.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 2:49 PM

The view from St. Mary is awesome too, I actually love how the buildings play off each other. IAC really feels like a windrift gently sweeping behind WAG. Looks great.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
That's the part that surprises me most too. It's the principle behind it. It would be a travesty to alter the artworks within the gallery, yet somehow the iconic piece of architecture that encloses the galleries is exempt from being treated with the same respect. And is this all in the hope of getting more foot traffic to enter the gift shop? I would imagine that most of their sales come from people who are either visiting the galleries, or people who came to the shop as destination--to find a cool gift. But I guess they want to attract random passerby's to pop in and spontaneously buy an $80 coffee mug.

Even with the street level requirement could they not have reconfigured it to have the gift shop in the new addition and street level access off there and leave the original building alone?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 9:42 PM

Café is going to into the street level of the new building. There is no room for a gift shop.

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Oct 23, 2020 at 5:21 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 5:22 PM

A Conversation on WAG-IAC

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 11:45 PM

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Qaumajuq to illuminate downtown
Indigenous advisory council chooses Inuktitut word meaning 'it is bright' for the name of WAG's new Inuit Art Centre
By: Melissa Martin | Posted: 10/28/2020

Light matters in the North, in a way the people who live there understand in their bones.

There's the light of summer, undying, shared by a sun that never fully sets. There's the light of the winter, thrown by lamps that allow life to thrive in the darkness, and by stars glinting in nights that never end.

"Us northerners that live in 24-hour darkness in the wintertime, brightness is awfully important to us, because we do need light, because we continuously create either art or clothing," said Theresie Tungilik, from Rankin Inlet, an artist and adviser for the Nunavut government.

"We need that light to see what we are creating."

For years, the things Inuit create in that light, the paintings and carvings and works of textile art, have captured the wider art world. Now, when the Winnipeg Art Gallery's new Inuit Art Centre opens in early 2021, it will bear a name that speaks to where those works come from, how they were made and the spirit in which they'll be shown.

Qaumajuq. In the way of Inuktitut words, it consists of a root grown and shaped into a verb: it means "it is bright," or else, "it is lit." A word that calls to mind the luminosity of northern light, and the conversation it keeps between snow and water and sky, a factor that also inspired the architect who designed the $65-million building.

The name was chosen by an Indigenous advisory council composed of people from across all four regions of Inuit Nunangat, the Inuit homeland, as well as the Cree, Ojibway, Dakota and Métis nations. They chose a name for the centre and for the spaces in and around it, bestowing them with words that sing with meaning....
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...gid=null&pid=2

Quote:
Sneak Peek at the Visible Vault:
Video Link

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 3:19 PM

Looks great. The finished product is very impressive, the masonry really looks top notch. I can't wait to check it out when it opens.

Still not quite 100% sold on how the new building meshes with the old one, but I'll keep an open mind when I visit

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan