HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 6:45 AM

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 7:04 PM
DENNAB

Is this information up to date? Checking out the Wikipedia page on the whole development. I think this has already been approved but I wonder if it can fit into this cycle when C&C finish given everything going on. I worry it'll just be an empty site until next (cycle)...

Quote:
On mid-October 2018, the Chicago Plan Commission approved the plans that included a 950-foot (290 m) tower as one of four new towers (three in phase I).[7] Chicago City Council approved the plans in an October 31 meeting.[8] Two of the three phase one buildings (the 363-condo/47-story Cirrus and 503-apartment/37-story Cascade) were scheduled for simultaneous summer 2019 groundbreaking with Lakeshore East Building I to follow.[9][10]

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 11:04 PM

In another thread someone asked about this building earlier today. I got curious and looked for the latest updates. Found very little information, except that it's briefly mentioned in this June 7 article: https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...akeshore-east/

"Once Cirrus and Cascade are complete, that leaves just two large buildings to be built at Lakeshore East. The 950-foot-tall Building I will be slotted in the current construction staging area. And Building O, a hotel tower on Columbus Drive, just south of Aqua."

So, it sounds like "Parcel I" will still proceed as planned. As folks probably already mentioned, the height of 950 ft may have been measured from the roof of a parking structure, so the full height could exceed 984.25 ft (300 m) making it a supertall.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 11:37 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
In another thread someone asked about this building earlier today. I got curious and looked for the latest updates. Found very little information, except that it's briefly mentioned in this June 7 article: https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...akeshore-east/

"Once Cirrus and Cascade are complete, that leaves just two large buildings to be built at Lakeshore East. The 950-foot-tall Building I will be slotted in the current construction staging area. And Building O, a hotel tower on Columbus Drive, just south of Aqua."

So, it sounds like "Parcel I" will still proceed as planned. As folks probably already mentioned, the height of 950 ft may have been measured from the roof of a parking structure, so the full height could exceed 984.25 ft (300 m) making it a supertall.
Good find, thanks!

The diagram did make it look higher than 950, this would be a great next supertall for Chicago for sure.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 12:49 AM

With current events, it's anyone's guess what will happen once Cirrus and Cascade are completed. Is Site I expected to be all residential? I can't imagine trying to open a hotel in Chicago in the near future.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 2:52 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
With current events, it's anyone's guess what will happen once Cirrus and Cascade are completed. Is Site I expected to be all residential? I can't imagine trying to open a hotel in Chicago in the near future.
I think by the time it would be completed, there will be no problem. Especially if some current hotels go out of business?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 2:40 PM

I don't think there's going to be any news or updates on this for a while.

The plan was always that Parcel I would be built after Cirrus and Cascade are completed. Until much closer to that time, the developer has no reason to make any decisions. They can't build anything anyway, so why not wait a couple years until they have a sense of the economy and the success of Cirrus and Cascade before committing to anything more than what they've already said? Even if they are still planning on it, there's no reason for them to issue a press release every couple months saying "plans remain unchanged" and give up flexibility.

Put another way, I expect to hear no new information on this until it's time to get plans approved or secure financing. Only then will we find out if they are sticking with the current plan or changing the timeline, program, design, etc. Until then, expect to see the same "it's still planned as far as we know" in every article.

Not the most satisfying, but IIWII.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 5:12 AM

Who changed the Site I diagram to 'under construction'? https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?buildingID=113935

Would be nice but pretty sure there have been no announcements and it is in error.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 12:59 PM
BANNED

If it's in SSP, it's usually true...

Somebody better tell the construction team that they gotta get moving!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 1:17 PM

Isn't it true that we don't officially know the exact height yet? According to this past article, the height could be greater than 950ft.

It’s worth noting that the 950-foot figure does not include Parcel I’s upper mechanical penthouse and architectural screening. More importantly, it is unclear if the 950-foot measurement from “ground level” is indeed taken from the dirt or an elevated position atop of the development’s parking podium along Harbor Drive.

If the latter proves to be the case, the final height could push well past the 984-foot official “supertall” threshold established by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/9/27...ower-supertall

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 4:00 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
Who changed the Site I diagram to 'under construction'? https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?buildingID=113935

Would be nice but pretty sure there have been no announcements and it is in error.
It is an error I believe. I put in a request for BMO + Salesforce to be listed as U/C and for the height of this to be updated but it seems they also added it to U/C accidentally.

Quote:
Isn't it true that we don't officially know the exact height yet? According to this past article, the height could be greater than 950ft.
Correct, from the latest drawing 950' seems to be the main roof excluding the mechanical penthouse / parapet etc.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Correct, from the latest drawing 950' seems to be the main roof excluding the mechanical penthouse / parapet etc.
I downloaded one of the elevation drawings from https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/9/27...ower-supertall , drew a straight line from "GROUND LEVEL" to the 950'-0" mark, and another straight line from "GROUND LEVEL" to the top of the building. I multiplied 950' by the latter's length and divided by the former's length, and got 971.3'. So, if "GROUND LEVEL" is the true ground level from which the building's height will be measured, Parcel I would be the same height as One Chicago, possibly a few inches taller. For Parcel I to be a supertall, "GROUND LEVEL" would need to refer to the top of the parking podium.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 9:34 PM

Quote:
It is an error I believe. I put in a request for BMO + Salesforce to be listed as U/C and for the height of this to be updated but it seems they also added it to U/C accidentally.

Thanks for making requests - appreciate the effort as the page otherwise gets updated like once every 2 years. Looks like they mistakenly made Site I under construction instead of Salesforce as Salesforce is still showing as proposed.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 9:56 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
I downloaded one of the elevation drawings from https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/9/27...ower-supertall , drew a straight line from "GROUND LEVEL" to the 950'-0" mark, and another straight line from "GROUND LEVEL" to the top of the building. I multiplied 950' by the latter's length and divided by the former's length, and got 971.3'. So, if "GROUND LEVEL" is the true ground level from which the building's height will be measured, Parcel I would be the same height as One Chicago, possibly a few inches taller. For Parcel I to be a supertall, "GROUND LEVEL" would need to refer to the top of the parking podium.
Hopefully it's measured from lower to claim 300+

Though 971' is still really good.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 6:29 PM

Quote:
The diagram has one more error: the height seems to be only about 268 m (880 ft), not 289.6 m (950 ft).

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 7:24 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
The diagram has one more error: the height seems to be only about 268 m (880 ft), not 289.6 m (950 ft).
It's because they need a new drawing, they don't just stretch out old ones (the original height was around that).

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 1:00 AM

I just stumbled upon this 12/28/2020 article:

https://chicagoyimby.com/2020/12/lak...countdown.html

It doesn't contain much new information, except perhaps these sentences:

"Reports state that the total construction period for Cirrus, Cascade, and Parcel I will be between five and seven years."

"Referencing the phasing of the development, groundbreaking for Parcel I could begin in 2021 or 2022 after the completion of Cirrus and Cascade, which are expected to be completed in 2021."

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 4:24 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
I just stumbled upon this 12/28/2020 article:

https://chicagoyimby.com/2020/12/lak...countdown.html

It doesn't contain much new information, except perhaps these sentences:

"Reports state that the total construction period for Cirrus, Cascade, and Parcel I will be between five and seven years."

"Referencing the phasing of the development, groundbreaking for Parcel I could begin in 2021 or 2022 after the completion of Cirrus and Cascade, which are expected to be completed in 2021."

Good find although we basically know this already (the five to seven years part at least).

The world will hopefully be in a better state with Covid vaccines going out by late 2021 and maybe this thing will get going. Maybe it'll also bet taller to house some of the space 195 N Columbus lost

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 5:23 PM

Not trying to be a debbie-downer, but prepare yourself for a possible haircut to the 700-800 ft range.

I have no official information other than history (400 LSD, One Chicago, WPS, both WL high-rises that were originally 600+ft, and 1000M). It is an extremely disappointing trend.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 5:24 PM

Chicago does seem to be allergic to supertalls as of late, even before covid.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals