HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 7:01 AM

I'm sure some money will change hands and this thing will sort itself out quickly.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Right?! Big companies with lots of smart people should know how to follow basic permits much better. Idiots.
yeah

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Elon Musk’s Tunneling Company Hits Roadblock on Texas Plans

https://www.mysanantonio.com/busines...k-16972290.php

Elon Musk’s Boring Co. has hit a snag in an attempt to construct an 80,000-square-foot manufacturing facility just east of Austin, Texas.

Bastrop County commissioners on Monday tabled the company’s application for a conditional use permit for the project, meaning that the massive facility is on hold for now, even as other Boring work progresses nearby. The company already has a development permit to conduct tunneling research on the site, and recently applied to add a warehouse and manufacturing with parking for 200 vehicles. Boring has also applied with the county for a water hookup and waste water system, according to a representative for the county.

Boring already has some people living on-site in Texas, according to one of the nearby homeowners who attended the meeting. But having people reside on the site before obtaining sewage permit approval may be a violation of the permitting process, County Judge Paul Pape, who was presiding over the meeting Monday, said during the proceedings.

Texas law typically requires a state-level review by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality for sewage facilities. A TCEQ spokeswoman said a review of its registry database returned no records for either Boring or for Gapped Bass LLC, the entity that purchased the property on its behalf.

No Boring representatives spoke at the meeting, and the company did not immediately respond to request for comment.
Ol' Judge Pape and his cronies must be trying to figure out how to dip their beaks into this project. Bastrop County government is such a good ol' boy network. They ain't used to doin' bidness in the major leagues.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 4:58 AM

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Ol' Judge Pape and his cronies must be trying to figure out how to dip their beaks into this project. Bastrop County government is such a good ol' boy network. They ain't used to doin' bidness in the major leagues.
Idk a billion dollar corporation installing a sewerage/ septic system without a permit is pretty bush-league

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 3:55 PM

I have a feeling Elon's companies are operating on a "easier/faster to ask for forgiveness than permission" basis when it comes to their TX endeavors. They probably figure that they will either pay their way out of any trouble or will get mercy from the pro-business at any cost leaders of the state. I would imagine the employees/contractors responsible for permitting know what is required but are under intense pressure to get things built as fast as possible.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinYIMBY View Post
I have a feeling Elon's companies are operating on a "easier/faster to ask for forgiveness than permission" basis when it comes to their TX endeavors. They probably figure that they will either pay their way out of any trouble or will get mercy from the pro-business at any cost leaders of the state. I would imagine the employees/contractors responsible for permitting know what is required but are under intense pressure to get things built as fast as possible.
correct. this is a very typical error of an elon company.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 4:15 PM

Here's some interesting research, re: WFH. Days spent remote are already declining in 1Q22, after being stable for most of 2021. But employers are planning on average allowing people to spend approx 25%-30% of their time WFH . . . so hybrid will be still be the norm for office workers in the future. That the old office populations could decline by up to a 1/3rd -- hold a lot of implications for downtown areas. And transit. And tourism. And safety. And etc.

WFH is also hugely unequal -- educated, well-paid office workers will be the sole beneficiaries.

https://wfhresearch.com/

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 4:19 PM

I'm 40% WFH. But I look forward to the drive to my downtown office because I like checking on construction stuff.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I'm 40% WFH. But I look forward to the drive to my downtown office because I like checking on construction stuff.
Yeah, we're 100% back in the office, which really isn't fantastic. But at least I'm staying in touch with all of the new builds.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post

WFH is also hugely unequal -- educated, well-paid office workers will be the sole beneficiaries.

https://wfhresearch.com/
And I would imagine even higher in tech than other white collar trades.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
And I would imagine even higher in tech than other white collar trades.
Yeah, there's a culture element there for sure. The folks in the Wal Mart home office are likely much less WFH than, say, Google.

But I'll tell you that no matter what, my hotel's banquet attendants and housekeepers will never be able to WFH. Same for the people who manage them. People-facing industries are going to have to eventually figure out how to balance out that inequity, but god knows how.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Yeah, there's a culture element there for sure. The folks in the Wal Mart home office are likely much less WFH than, say, Google.

But I'll tell you that no matter what, my hotel's banquet attendants and housekeepers will never be able to WFH. Same for the people who manage them. People-facing industries are going to have to eventually figure out how to balance out that inequity, but god knows how.
Robots.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Robots.
Hush your mouth!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Idk a billion dollar corporation installing a sewerage/ septic system without a permit is pretty bush-league
True enough, but as a former long-term Bastrop County resident, I think I have a pretty good handle on how things get decided out there. Judge Pape has ruled Bastrop County government with an iron hand for as long as I can remember. The explosive growth coming their way must have the Judge Pape Gang positively salivating.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 12:44 PM
Old West Austin

America's Most Active Real Estate Markets 2012-2021

I thought forum members might find this to be quite interesting.

https://www.storagecafe.com/blog/the...e-last-decade/

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 3:31 PM

There is a new proposal for a private rail yard across from the Decker Power plant. No sure what the market for it is but thought it was interesting. Looks by the design it's for freight heading east, not west.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...errsn=12619502

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
There is a new proposal for a private rail yard across from the Decker Power plant. No sure what the market for it is but thought it was interesting. Looks by the design it's for freight heading east, not west.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...errsn=12619502
The project's name is "Tex-Mix," which I assume is Tex Mix concrete.

https://www.tex-mixconcrete.com/

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 3:58 PM

60% of homes sold in Austin metro in 2021 went for more than list price

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ist-price.html

About 60% of Austin metro home sales in 2021 were for more than asking price, according to an analysis by Porch.com. The average sale-to-list price ratio was 105.1%, the fifth highest in the U.S.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
60% of homes sold in Austin metro in 2021 went for more than list price

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ist-price.html

About 60% of Austin metro home sales in 2021 were for more than asking price, according to an analysis by Porch.com. The average sale-to-list price ratio was 105.1%, the fifth highest in the U.S.
There's just an unending stream of terrible news about our housing problems, and how far out of whack our market is. The sad part is that there's no cavalry coming. This is how it will be for the foreseeable future. Even if zoning laws, and supply chain kinks, and labor shortages changed over night, the amount of new inventory we need just to hit "less freakin' dire" status is years away.

I kind of hate to see what this does to Austin over the next 3-5 years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin