HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Remember when everyone was gaga over Dubai? Yeah that seems to have changed. I remember being awestruck by the proposals back then but find them garish and dystopian now.
Near real-time updates on the Burj Dubai construction was one of the first things I got into on SSP. It blew my mind that I found a source for that kind of content. I think I didn't even go into the Canada or local city threads until several months on SSP.

When I joined SSP 16 years ago (!) I was an undergraduate at a Metro Vancouver university (try to guess which one) and just started getting into urbanism. SSP was part of my awakening as an urbanist and I credit it as being part of the virtuous cycle of activities that led me to pursue a career as an urban planner.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 3:37 PM
sick transit, gloria

Hah - I definitely remember looking at near real-time updates of the Burj Dubai/Khalifa!

I always thought it was kinda ugly and gauche, but the whole concept of Dubai fascinated my nonetheless. I originally had an idea that I may move there for a couple years after graduating my Master's in order to pay off a bunch of student debt even though nothing about living there seemed appealing. The 2008 crisis got in the way of that idea though.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 3:48 PM

The Burj was an object of fascination for me in my early SSP years, but so was this monolith

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 3:55 PM
sick transit, gloria

^Definitely! Of course it didn't have the glass at that time.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 5:08 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Near real-time updates on the Burj Dubai construction was one of the first things I got into on SSP. It blew my mind that I found a source for that kind of content. I think I didn't even go into the Canada or local city threads until several months on SSP.

When I joined SSP 16 years ago (!) I was an undergraduate at a Metro Vancouver university (try to guess which one) and just started getting into urbanism. SSP was part of my awakening as an urbanist and I credit it as being part of the virtuous cycle of activities that led me to pursue a career as an urban planner.
Same. The Burj Khalifa seemed like a vision from the future. Crazy it still holds title as the tallest in spite of all the other megatalls from China and the Gulf states. The thing is though, no amount of beautiful starchitecture can cover up the reality of these dystopian authoritarian regimes.

I also remember finding all the project and photo updates in the Calgary section for proposals I had no idea about as we were experiencing a crazy boom. I couldn't believe there was a website tracking it all.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 5:43 PM

In terms of the Gulf petroregimes, the UAE is the least bad of the bunch, I'd argue. A lot better than Saudi or Qatar.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 5:52 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
In terms of the Gulf petroregimes, the UAE is the least bad of the bunch, I'd argue. A lot better than Saudi or Qatar.
That's like saying they're the least smelly turd in the pool. They still employ massive armies of virtual slave labour from Southeast asia just like Qatar did for the World Cup. They're also still a Muslim dictatorship. Just because they've become a playground for the 1% doesn't gloss over the fact that the entire house of cards is built on the backs of thousands of dead migrant workers.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 3:49 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The Burj was an object of fascination for me in my early SSP years, but so was this monolith

Is that thing still "under construction" or did it get finished?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Is that thing still "under construction" or did it get finished?
Under construction for 35 years AFAIK. As I recall, all they did was put the cladding on so that it looked presentable. I think there were some concerns at one point about its structural integrity... and even if there was nothing to those concerns, there are probably serious doubts as to economic viability of that project.

Its main function these days seems to be as a big billboard...

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 3:58 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
I guess it has some value then.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 4:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Under construction for 35 years AFAIK. As I recall, all they did was put the cladding on so that it looked presentable. I think there were some concerns at one point about its structural integrity... and even if there was nothing to those concerns, there are probably serious doubts as to economic viability of that project.

Video Link
I read somewhere that the elevator shafts won't accommodate elevators on account of the building shifting and concrete shrinkage over the 40 some years that it has mostly been a concrete shell.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 5:54 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I read somewhere that the elevator shafts won't accommodate elevators on account of the building shifting and concrete shrinkage

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 1:32 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
That's not saying a lot
UAE still confiscates passports of foreign workers that have helped build their entire skyline. Try being openly LGBT in Dubai as well...

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 1:55 AM

I’ve wasted my time on this site for a long time. Don’t post much. Sit back and observe the drama and developments and still enjoy doing it. Whenever something happens in my hometown and I mention it to my wife, she always replies “Where did you find out about this? On your precious Skyscraper page!?”

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 5:17 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Whenever something happens in my hometown and I mention it to my wife, she always replies “Where did you find out about this? On your precious Skyscraper page!?”

I know this well too.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 1:55 AM

I joined in the summer of 2006, when I had just finished my first year at Western, and was working part-time in London.

Now I’m in middle management at a large publicly traded company, and after multiple moves am now in BC.

It’s amazing to see the number of members from when I joined who are still here. I remember MolsonExport clear back then; we both were frequent posters on the London forum.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 5:16 PM

Quote:
I’ve wasted my time on this site for a long time. Don’t post much. Sit back and observe the drama and developments and still enjoy doing it. Whenever something happens in my hometown and I mention it to my wife, she always replies “Where did you find out about this? On your precious Skyscraper page!?”

I can relate...

I told my wife that if I suddenly drop dead she needs to come here and post a message informing everyone, just to make it clear that I wasn't just walking away and letting all the people I've been arguing with win

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 5:46 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I read somewhere that the elevator shafts won't accommodate elevators on account of the building shifting and concrete shrinkage over the 40 some years that it has mostly been a concrete shell.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 5:47 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I love the Seinfeld references!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 5:49 PM
Fake News

Quote:
My wife calls it my nerd forum and the people I know from here my architecture nerd friends.

Quote:

I can relate...

I told my wife that if I suddenly drop dead she needs to come here and post a message informing everyone, just to make it clear that I wasn't just walking away and letting all the people I've been arguing with win
This thought has also crossed my mind. There actually is a section on SSP listing deceased members.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada