HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 6:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I like these plans, but unless they actually take action this shit is all pie-in-the-sky. Winnipeg may as well be planning for 1989 "back to the future II" shit at this point.

When did I turn into rrskylar?
Glad you've seen the light grasshopper!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 7:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Politicking is most definitely the reason nothing happened with 15 and Oakbank corridor.
Still shake my head over the speNDP regimes 3 lane bridge over the floodway on Dugald!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Still shake my head over the speNDP regimes 3 lane bridge over the floodway on Dugald!
I always assumed that was meant as phase 1 of 2, i.e. to be followed by a second bridge? Otherwise I agree, it makes no sense!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 4:14 AM

The bridge over the floodway at hwy 59 is huge too. Isn’t it a twin span with a total of 6 or 8 lanes?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 1:40 PM

3 lanes each way. $100 million or so.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
3 lanes each way. $100 million or so.
Came in at 50 million from a budget of 66 million

https://globalnews.ca/news/9157189/r...on-completion/

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 6:38 PM

oh awesome.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 5:48 PM
What could go wrong?

Google Earth imagery from Aug 25, 2022. It is nice, as part of this grade separation project they are also widening the lane separation on the Perimeter as well. It appears that they are going up to approximately where Dakota is. I would assume they will leave to remainder as part of the St Anne's grade separation project.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Google Earth imagery from Aug 25, 2022. It is nice, as part of this grade separation project they are also widening the lane separation on the Perimeter as well. It appears that they are going up to approximately where Dakota is. I would assume they will leave to remainder as part of the St Anne's grade separation project.
Thanks for sharing Biff.

It doesn't look like they will widen the median between the eastern edge of the St Mary's project (Dakota) and Plessis, even in the ultimate design plans.

https://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/hpd/pth100...s/segment5.pdf

My guess is to avoid expropriation of the properties south of St Anne's Road but I could be wrong.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 6:34 PM

They show a barrier in the median for the St. Anne's project. They are buying lots of property for that project. That's what the pink lines are.

I think keeping the lanes tighter together makes the structures cheaper. The extra cost for barrier is the cheaper option rather than buying more land, long bridges, wider abutments, etc.

It also keeps things tighter west of the actual interchange, not requiring any property there, as you mentioned.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 6:34 PM

MTI advertising schedule is out.
https://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/contracts/...inter_2022.pdf

Includes McGillivray Interchange owner engineers RFP. And functional design RFP of the McGillivray twinning which was already mentioned. So things are ramping up there. Among other places such as conceptual design RFP of PTH #1 twinning in Whiteshell.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Looking good. We just need something symmetrical at Portage Avenue & Perimeter Highway too.
That is an amazing idea for an interchange. Winnipeg needs more bridges like that, not those century old cloverleafs

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I wonder how that interchange would have worked as planned in the 1990s? Folded diamond (the ramps seem a bit short for that)? Or a regular diamond with overpasses for the on/off ramps to the north? Or just a regular diamond with at-grade railway crossings for the on/off ramps to the north?
If I could choose a design, I would create a volleyball (3 level diamond) interchange. Hwy 15 would stay where it is, the second level is either a roundabout or a town center intersection, kind of like the hwy 1 and Hwy 2 bridge in Calgary. That way hwy 15 and 101 could change routes without being stopped by a train. The third level would be the perimeter hwy flying over everything. I wouldn't want an underpass for hwy 101 because of the floodway being close by, therefore flooding the road.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2023, 8:26 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Anything happening on the Perimeter construction wise this summer (besides St. Mary’s) ?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Anything happening on the Perimeter construction wise this summer (besides St. Mary’s) ?
Pretty sure most of the items listed in the article were to be completed this year. I don't drive the North Perimeter too often but all the South Perimeter items are still to be completed.

https://chvnradio.com/articles/manit...meter-highway-

- extending the west service road south to PTH 190;
- extending the westbound bypass lane on Provincial Road (PR) 221 to accommodate greater traffic volumes;
- closing the medians and access to PTH 101 at Road 63N once the work listed above has been completed;
- widening PTH 6 to four lanes from PTH 101 to the Prairie Dog Central railway tracks and adding passing lanes further north;
- constructing a roundabout at the intersection of PTH 6 and PR 236;
- upgrading and paving the north service road from PR 236 to Lilyfield Road and from PR 409 to east of Dasmesh School to accommodate heavy commercial loading;
- reconstructing the north service road between King Edward and Ritchie streets to improve drainage and eliminate an existing jog in the road;
- closing an uncontrolled approach near PR 330;
- continued construction of the new interchange at St. Mary’s Road;
- resurfacing sections of PTH 100 between PTH 3 and Portage Avenue;
- extending Aimes Road to St. Anne’s Road;
- constructing a new right turn lane at PR 330;
- paving near the Pembina Highway interchange.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 3:38 PM

The traffic lights on Portage west of the Perimeter are being replaced as are the street lights for the intersection. This is likely part of the advanced work in the change from an interchange to a diamond. There could also be work on the road realignment that is part of the changes at the intersection in the southwest corner as prep work on the related residential development seems likely as the required zoning variances have cleared. From an external perspective, the corner of the access road that is most northeast on that parcel is going to be moving southwest to provide slightly more room for the east to north merge lane.

I would also hope that extending the merge and exit lanes from Wilkes is on the near term project list as the current state is a major safety hazard and the work is all at-grade changes.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I would also hope that extending the merge and exit lanes from Wilkes is on the near term project list as the current state is a major safety hazard and the work is all at-grade changes.
Short merge and exit lanes are a safety hazard damn near everywhere in this province.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Short merge and exit lanes are a safety hazard damn near everywhere in this province.
The worst is merging onto the Perimeter WB from Pembina. It feels like a death trap during rush hour.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 10:18 PM

Ooh, that does look dangerous with a hotel right there at the exit ramp, even with traffic lights. :O

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
The worst is merging onto the Perimeter WB from Pembina. It feels like a death trap during rush hour.
I take grandmont in saint norbert to get back on to waverly and then the perimeter as that ramp is too dangerous.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan