HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 3:54 AM

Agreed with the above, with the amount of development going on in the Exchange I'm sure several good projects will come along in no time.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 4:27 AM
surely you agree with me

Yup. Once in a generation opportunity for the Exchange. It needs to be awesome.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 8:15 PM

What I find surprising is Market Lands went to a lot of expense and time to carve out a public wish list for the site both North and South. There was a request for proposals and all submissions were put to a jury for comment and selection. The submissions were made public. Why was this not done for the Northern Parcel? Who reviewed the submissions and decided yes or no?

Without showing what was denied and why, how do they expect to generate more submissions? Perhaps part of the problem was the requirement to develop the roadway / laneway / northern plaza at the developer’s expense along with sidewalk / landscaping ? Perhaps the asking price for the land? The “inadequate” quality could be a direct link to the additional financial burdens placed on developers…

There are a number of excellent parcels in the area available in excess of 30,000ft/sq which might draw more interest than a government controlled and regulated site. Perhaps appropriate “design” should be determined by the planning department.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 1:08 AM
surely you agree with me

There was no RFP for the south parcel. It was a design competition for a publicly funded project on a site that legally requires that.

Why would the planning department be qualified to evaluate development proposals? I’m not sure you know what the planning department does.

CentreVenture is the downtown development agency of the municipal government. They have extensive experience and expertise in evaluating the economics and city-building merits of development proposals. They have been doing it successfully for 20 years. It’s why they exist.

Private developers are free to release their proposals if they wish. That is not the responsibility of CentreVentire. Do you want your business dealings published just to satisfy the curiosity of onlookers?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 1:52 AM
surely you agree with me

Also. There’s nothing government controlled about the site. Other than that’s who is selling it.

Excited to hear about all the 30,000sf properties being snapped up by developers!!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 8:27 PM

[QUOTE=trueviking;9386738]Also. There’s nothing government controlled about the site. Other than that’s who is selling it.

What kind of comment is that! LOL

Either CV is the government or it’s not? Take your pick.

If the proponent does not make some disclosure as to what has been turned down and why, what makes you think others will take the time and cost to submit a proposal that they have no idea will be fairly considered in light of today’s economics?

This is why I’m suggesting one will purchase the site beside the St Regis and only have to deal with the Planning Department and perhaps Design Review. A much easier and certain journey than taking another stab at Market Lands or the St Regis site when it comes back yet again…

On a minor note, has CV acquired Reiss’s William Street Property or are they just involved with its stabilization? Any body?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2022, 12:08 AM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...dits-1.6483127

I expect our resident insider can't directly comment.

Quote:
That site is expected to generate $474,000 worth of new property taxes for the city every year.
Small detail, but I like seeing this mentioned and would like to see more of this in municipal reporting. Lots of people have lots of opinions of various projects, but "contributes $X to the public purse" helps clarify things a bit and is another useful counter-nimby argument.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 3:42 AM

Unfortunately still underfunded …

They will need to find another $10,000,000.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 8:25 PM

Marketlands fence is partially down and there's car parked there and most important a BOUNCY CASTLE!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 8:25 PM

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Marketlands fence is partially down and there's car parked there and most important a BOUNCY CASTLE!
For the Chinatown night market

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 9:49 PM

What’s the timeline on this project anyways?!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 11:59 PM

Hopefully this doesn't turn into RailSide 2.0 in terms of timeline.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 12:52 PM
What could go wrong?

They are having a tough time fitting all the parameters involved - affordable housing, a market/artist space, a net zero building and the current higher cost of construction into the budget.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 8:23 PM
surely you agree with me

The bouncy castle is the final development. You know. Covid supply chains and all. Enjoy it Winnipeg.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
The bouncy castle is the final development. You know. Covid supply chains and all. Enjoy it Winnipeg.
Makes sense! Not sure what the developers were thinking though. There isn't nearly enough parking!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 1:40 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
Makes sense! Not sure what the developers were thinking though. There isn't nearly enough parking!
wont somebody think of the children

Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 11:48 PM

Article talking about the Marketlands build, in the construction drawings phase now

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/it-s-goi...rict-1.6190310

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 12:08 AM

I must say I’m very glad to see more public and affordable housing being built in Winnipeg. Kapyong, Southwood, Bay Building, and this one we are putting quite a bit of effort to tackle the issue.

Side note: I think they should really consider having a road diet on William. Put some bike lanes get the street down to 2 lanes like the rest of the Exchange. William has serious potential as a high street connecting City Hall to HSC.

Yet still no grocery store? I get that Young’s and Dino are nearby but at some point the area is going to need a full-fledged 50k sq ft grocery store. Are we trying to break a record of highest populated food desert? One can only eat out so many times in a week.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 12:42 AM

I haven't been in Dino's, but Young's is no mere convenience store. It's a pretty fully fledged grocery store. I wouldn't call its catchment a food desert.

If I had a list of every grocery store in the city, it would be fun and interesting to create a Voronoi diagram of them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan