HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 7:46 PM

I’m always so torn on this issue. In general I agree that more power should be delegated to cities. However, Winnipeg consistently makes decisions that are not in its best interests. Sometimes I think the city would benefit from a mechanism where developers and the city could appeal municipal decisions to a tribunal composed of planners and lawyers and present planning evidence. Especially since our city planning in Winnipeg and Manitoba is not very sophisticated or modern.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
yeah. Roblin and William Clement.
The old Chapman School site? If so I can understand why an 8 story apartment building would be blocked. Heck even three stories on that site would face opposition.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 10:34 PM
surely you agree with me

If we only built where there was no opposition we would never build. It was approved by City Council, Public Works, PP&D. An unelected board has no business overruling that decision.

It’s on a highway. And future rapid transit line.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 11:14 PM

These provincial bodies in Ontario generally function to encourage development by over ruling municipal nimbyism. For the province of Manitoba to function in the exact opposite way is mind numbing.

Who is the MMP for the area? The nimbys must have their ear.
Unelected bodies and individuals make important decisions over elected officials all the time in a multitude of ways.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Who is the MMP for the area? The nimbys must have their ear.
Unelected bodies and individuals make important decisions over elected officials all the time in a multitude of ways.
The area around Roblin and William Clement definitely leans pretty heavily blue but can swing at times. Makes sense to run some interference and show voters you are listening to their concerns.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 10:46 PM

Man, Newport Centre is just crying out for the 433 Main treatment, with a partial residential conversion. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the entire upper half of the building is totally unoccupied.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 12:53 AM

I did work in there recently, it definitely seemed mostly occupied. Several of the upper floors were near the end of a high end office renovation for an unknown-to-me tenant. It was a full fit-up, with a lot of extremely expensive fixtures. I was just doing upgrades to most of the common washroom lighting, this was in like April or so.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 1:43 AM

Newport Centre looks fairly full:

https://330portage.com/tenants/

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 1:42 PM

Quote:
so....word on the street is that 8 storey apartment building at 4025 Roblin Boulevard that was approved by city council has been rejected by the new Provincial municipal appeals board....largely on the basis that there was public opposition.

it was approved six months ago. The developer has been paying tens of thousands for the process and carrying charges on the land....now an unelected body has the power to shut it all down.
The funny part is that the only reason Manitoba has a Municipal Board now is because a few developers went crying to the PCs about how development approvals in the City of Winnipeg were too slow and uncertain... so congrats guys, you now have yet another pro-NIMBY hoop to jump through. Good job.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
Man, Newport Centre is just crying out for the 433 Main treatment, with a partial residential conversion. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the entire upper half of the building is totally unoccupied.
12th and 14th floors, totaling 17,878.86 sq. ft to Public Services and Procurement Canada

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Newport Centre looks fairly full:

https://330portage.com/tenants/
Yup. You're right.

There is one legitimately empty floor, and I guess what I was seeing was some other partially empty floors, the fact that Procurement Canada has been on remote work.

Much as I want to see more residential units downtown, I'm pleased to see some strength in the office market too.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 3:05 PM

Newport Centre has had some wild swings over the years, I recall it had very high vacancy rates from time to time. But right now it appears to be doing well.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 4:35 PM

Would be nice if Newport could fill up the main floor CRUs with something to add a bit of street life, like a restaurant or coffee shop. Or is all the foot traffic diverted to the skywalk level?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Would be nice if Newport could fill up the main floor CRUs with something to add a bit of street life, like a restaurant or coffee shop. Or is all the foot traffic diverted to the skywalk level?
Judging by their website, it looks like Fire and Flower is set to open yet another cannabis shop on the main floor, but the old BMO branch space is empty along with two other smaller ones.

Is the ambitious reno plan dead in the water now?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 5:40 PM
the first stamp is free

^ that's likely shelved for the foreseeable future - Covid casualty.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 6:33 PM
surely you agree with me

^ saved the one actual functioning storefront on Portage (except MEC), so maybe that's a win.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 6:48 PM

Quote:
^ saved the one actual functioning storefront on Portage (except MEC), so maybe that's a win.
Don't forget the dollar stores

Now that Dominion News and the music stores are gone, the used bookstore there is one of the last vestiges of old school 1970s 1980s Portage Avenue!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Newport Centre has had some wild swings over the years, I recall it had very high vacancy rates from time to time. But right now it appears to be doing well.
Not sure if it is still true but I had heard that while Newport Centre doesn't formally have high vacancies it also has a number of lease concessions to maintain tenants that may not fully be able to be there otherwise.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
The funny part is that the only reason Manitoba has a Municipal Board now is because a few developers went crying to the PCs about how development approvals in the City of Winnipeg were too slow and uncertain... so congrats guys, you now have yet another pro-NIMBY hoop to jump through. Good job.
yeah i notice the board includes a bunch of former municipal politicians from portage etc

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 2:01 PM
What could go wrong?

Heard a rumour a couple of weeks ago (reputable) of a reorganization of offices for a New office building downtown for 750 people.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan