HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Spiral in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 1:52 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 24, 2021 at 2:22 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 2:25 PM

50 Hudson yards is supposed to only be 20 feet shorter than the Spiral, however in pictures I'm noticing it looks quite a bit shorter than that. Did it get a height cut? It is topped out correct? Maybe my eyes are just playing tricks on me.

If I remember correctly, 50 Hudson was originally proposed at 986 feet...maybe that's the height they built to instead of 1,011

Last edited by jackster99; Mar 24, 2021 at 2:36 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 3:40 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster99 View Post
50 Hudson yards is supposed to only be 20 feet shorter than the Spiral, however in pictures I'm noticing it looks quite a bit shorter than that. Did it get a height cut? It is topped out correct? Maybe my eyes are just playing tricks on me.

If I remember correctly, 50 Hudson was originally proposed at 986 feet...maybe that's the height they built to instead of 1,011
Sure looks like it, I think it was 985', I'm not sure where the 1,011 came from, may have been a sea level figure.

I was going to guess the parapet hasn't been fully topped off but it looks like it is.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 9:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster99 View Post

50 Hudson tops out at 1’011 ft. If anything, it would be the Spiral being higher. Until recently, the height given was 32 ft more. I’ve seen it as higher, depending on where you are measuring, but 50 Hudson didn’t get reduced. Keep in mind that often what you get for height is just the main roof height, not anything above, nor a parapet.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 12:30 AM

Using 35 Hudson as a reference with its official height of 1009 ft, 50 Hudson does look shorter. I guess time will tell.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 12:56 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjr101 View Post
Using 35 Hudson as a reference with its official height of 1009 ft, 50 Hudson does look shorter. I guess time will tell.
It's actually more like 1,012 using official DOB documents. We usually round up.

_

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMz9YRLp2Lo/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMzjuClHp9M/

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 1:22 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjr101 View Post
Yea, could be a combination of elevation + a little more to go for the parapet part. It goes a bit above the core.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 1:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 2:02 AM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 27, 2021 at 2:39 AM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 11:08 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 1:17 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 12:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 3:07 PM

Gotta say, the Spiral is outshining its neighbor for me. It's turning out better than the renderings depicted.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 3:56 PM

I agree, wasn't the biggest fan of this tower before construction. Now it's one of my favorites. She's turning out great.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 5:32 PM
BANNED

^^ I respectfully disagree. The Sprial's neighbor is unique and it's materials superb. The marble can't be beat. Your mind might change once it's complete.

Though I will say the glass contrast on the Spiral looks fantastic. See 111 W Wacker for a similar, but poorly-executed design.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 7:31 PM

Marble is great and all, but the way it's utilized on 50 Hudson is unremarkable.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 12:02 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 2:24 PM

Both can be true. 50 Hudson looks better up close, while Spiral is a bit bland up close.

But from afar Spiral certainly creates a powerful secondary focus for the HY skyline. It brings definition and character to the body of the skyline.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 3:35 PM

I feel the site only really looks good at night, but it's still early days I guess. Shame 30 Hudson's dominance was so short lived at these angles.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 12:02 AM
New Yorker for life

We still have the second phase of the railyards development, and the rest of the northward development. I can't gauge it correctly right now, I'm sure my opinion of these two towers as they fit into the overall scheme of things will change then. Right now though, they're very big and bulky towers. I don't like the massing of 50 Hudson, but I'll see how it plays out with the crown. The Spiral is just as massive, but the bulk is distributed equally, in that way more pleasing to the eye. It has one facade while 50 has two distinct looks for the facade. I still can't call it. But as of right now, both feel pretty bulky, and with such similarity in height, could seem a bit much. But again, too much more to go before I can speak on the long term effect.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...?adppopup=true

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive