HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
"We are having an intense conversation with Spark about this. Community College of Philadelphia does its best, but it’s overwhelmed. I talked to the president of Thaddeus Stevens [vocational-technical college, in Lancaster] about starting a branch here. We could support that venture in terms of filling the pipeline with talent, so they eventually work at places like Spark."
I've mentioned this a thousand times. Philadelphia needs a location of Thaddeus Stevens yesterday and either Lincoln, Cheyney, or both need from Chester County (though technically Cheyney is in Delaware County) to Philadelphia.

Having Thaddeus Stevens in Philadelphia would be a huge unlock for the city.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I've mentioned this a thousand times. Philadelphia needs a location of Thaddeus Stevens yesterday and either Lincoln, Cheyney, or both need from Chester County (though technically Cheyney is in Delaware County) to Philadelphia.

Having Thaddeus Stevens in Philadelphia would be a huge unlock for the city.
Lincoln has classrooms at 31st and Market.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 3:11 PM

Quote:
"We want to be in the A league in terms of gene therapy. What I learned from the [2017-2018] effort to bring Amazon here — I was chair of the chamber that year — we made a joint venture bid with PIDC and significant corporate engagement, in a great competition with the best cities in the country. It came out that their team recommended three cities: Philadelphia, Chicago, and Raleigh, N.C. On the merits, we did really well — walkability, transit, great recreation, great restaurants and hospitals, a city with intellectual assets but also a real place full of neighborhoods."
Is this old news? I hadn't heard this before. I guess it's irrelevant now but interesting nonetheless.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 4:10 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Is this old news? I hadn't heard this before. I guess it's irrelevant now but interesting nonetheless.
Yes, info was leaked a while back that Philadelphia was actually a top contender, but the final decision ignored the study and went with executives preferred locations.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Yes, info was leaked a while back that Philadelphia was actually a top contender, but the final decision ignored the study and went with executives preferred locations.
Even better -- the guy from Amazon who was tasked with choosing the finalist based on the recommendations is a huge Giants fan and couldn't choose Philly because he hated the Iggles.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Old news. Amazon CEO said he couldn’t have the HQ where the Eagles play because he’s a Giants fan. I wish that was a joke.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
The 15 is slated to return as soon as work on the PCC IIs (now PCC IIIs) is finished. They can only really work on one at a time right now.
woohoo! I love seeing those rumble down Girard. Was getting worried they'd permanently keep the bus. I wish they'd re-activate the Germantown ave. line with them; tourists would get a kick out of classic trolleys coming through center city.

Quote:
One way to deal with the concerns of these businesses is for the city to facilitate the creation of more flex use/warehouse/light industrial space in zones throughout the city. It drives me nuts that every time one of these light industrial businesses shuts down, it moves to Pennsauken or Bensalem, or wherever, when part of the conversation can be...okay, well we have this new space coming on line...move there.

There's thousands of acres of fallow land in the Erie Avenue Industrial corridor, along Packer Avenue, in the Navy Yard, and coming down the pike in the Bellweather District. Let's make something cohesive as a part of the strategy go forward to rehouse these light industrial businesses that making way for residential conversions.
not a bad idea; I don't really have anything against the businesses on Washington though, just if they are trying to hijack a decade-long process without any sort of negotiation, then that bothers me. washington ave. survey results (support was stronger on west side, 19145/19146):
https://www.phila.gov/2020-07-16-res...roject-survey/

other materials:
https://www.phila.gov/documents/wash...ement-project/

Last edited by Skintreesnail; May 31, 2022 at 4:47 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
2.) Construction fencing is now present at the huge lot at 27th and Girard. There has always been fencing at the site, but it is completely sealed off now. It appears that construction is imminent.

4.) The former auto shop/garage along 26th Street between Girard and Poplar is currently coming down. At last check, a residential building was planned for the site. I'm looking forward to seeing that one start!
Regarding #2, a month or two ago I was told in an email exchange with the development company for this site that construction WOULD be beginning about now.

Regarding #4, do you mean this building that had recently been a roofing company?

Of course, both of those sites are technically in Fairmount being south of Girard. I've recently taken a special interest in that immediate vicinity, as a close relative just moved into the brand-new Fairmount North Apartments.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Well I would like other companies to locate here as well, not just Amazon. I feel like we have a decent talent pool from Penn State, UPenn, Drexel and Temple. I think it's relevant because we actually have good bones for a city for both companies and living here.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 5:10 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
The 15 is slated to return as soon as work on the PCC IIs (now PCC IIIs) is finished. They can only really work on one at a time right now.

I wish they would paint a few in the early Septa gold scheme, but it appears they are just repainting them in the green and cream PTC colors like before.

_

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
woohoo! I love seeing those rumble down Girard. Was getting worried they'd permanently keep the bus. I wish they'd re-activate the Germantown ave. line with them; tourists would get a kick out of classic trolleys coming through center city.
You know who would even get more of a "kick" out of a fleet of modern european style cars (i.e. not these) traversing our streets? The people who ride them.

Who cares what tourists like. I want the highest and best functioning system for our transit riders and these are not it.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 5:54 PM

Quote:
You know who would even get more of a "kick" out of a fleet of modern european style cars (i.e. not these) traversing our streets? The people who ride them.

Who cares what tourists like. I want the highest and best functioning system for our transit riders and these are not it.
The PCC IIIs are easy to maintain and are the only ADA Compliant trolleys on SEPTA's network. They are better than the K Cars.

The 15 is getting the articulated LRVs like the rest of the lines when Trolley Mod is complete. I don't think it's so insane to suggest that these trolleys then be moved to the former 23, especially considering that the route is already served by both Regional Rail Lines fairly well. I've said before that the 23 shouldn't come down to CC before though, and I still don't think it should (simply because 10th/11th are not well suited to trolleys anymore).

MUNI in San Fran runs with heritage trolleys and manages to grab the attention of tourists and effectively serve the community. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 5:59 PM

^^^ sure, I think a lot of residents are looking forward to the trolley modernization project, but having some historic cars I don't think hurts, even if it ends up being a few cars intermingled with the modern ones; especially if it means reactivating a line that has been in limbo for a while.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 6:01 PM

Quote:
The PCC IIIs are easy to maintain and are the only ADA Compliant trolleys on SEPTA's network. They are better than the K Cars.

The 15 is getting the articulated LRVs like the rest of the lines when Trolley Mod is complete. I don't think it's so insane to suggest that these trolleys then be moved to the former 23, especially considering that the route is already served by both Regional Rail Lines fairly well. I've said before that the 23 shouldn't come down to CC before though, and I still don't think it should (simply because 10th/11th are not well suited to trolleys anymore).

MUNI in San Fran runs with heritage trolleys and manages to grab the attention of tourists and effectively serve the community. The two things are not mutually exclusive.
Fair points all around. When do the articulated LRVs start to get deployed? I'm very excited for this.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Regarding #4, do you mean this building that had recently been a roofing company?
That's the one! Here's a rendering from 2020:

You're absolutely right too, three of the updates I mentioned are technically Fairmount updates! IMO, that's even better, as the Fairmount side of Girard Avenue has been lagging behind the Brewerytown side. I can't wait to see the level of foot traffic the area will experience now that the gap between Fairmount and Brewerytown will essentially be filled in (save for the gravel lot along Poplar between 26th Street and College Ave).

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Fair points all around. When do the articulated LRVs start to get deployed? I'm very excited for this.
The specs sheet was just sent out earlier this month. So five years, give or take a year.

The wires they're putting up will be compatible with both pans and poles, meaning that the routes can continue running even as modernization is taking place. It also means that trolleys like the K cars and the PCCs can continue running indefinitely.

Re 23 running down 10th/11th:
The 23 will only succeed if it connects with another trolley line (because the trolleys need to be stored and maintained somewhere) and the 15 is the obvious candidate. Run trains from Germantown to the Frankford and Girard loop via Girard ave. You could further extend this down Delaware later.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 6:15 PM

Quote:
The Vehicle Acquisition phase of Trolley Mod is supposed to happen between 2026 and 2033. Lots of work must be done in preparation for the new LRVs to hit the rails, but we are moving towards that timeframe. Not only have we increased the FY22 capital budget line item associated with Trolley Mod, but we're actually hiring for a manager of Trolley Mod at the moment!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 6:29 PM

Quote:
The Vehicle Acquisition phase of Trolley Mod is supposed to happen between 2026 and 2033. Lots of work must be done in preparation for the new LRVs to hit the rails, but we are moving towards that timeframe. Not only have we increased the FY22 capital budget line item associated with Trolley Mod, but we're actually hiring for a manager of Trolley Mod at the moment!
Oh cool, I was right about that five year thing.
Is your department handling the hiring? If so, let me manage it so that I can make sure we get all of my little nerd ideas in there

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 7:28 PM

Quote:
You're absolutely right too, three of the updates I mentioned are technically Fairmount updates! IMO, that's even better, as the Fairmount side of Girard Avenue has been lagging behind the Brewerytown side. I can't wait to see the level of foot traffic the area will experience now that the gap between Fairmount and Brewerytown will essentially be filled in (save for the gravel lot along Poplar between 26th Street and College Ave).
Indeed! Looks like there will be relatively large-scale developments starting in the next few months on BOTH sides of Fairmount North (across 26th and across Taney), and Fairmount North itself is right now bringing 100-plus market-rate apartments to the area.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 10:22 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:

The wires they're putting up will be compatible with both pans and poles, meaning that the routes can continue running even as modernization is taking place. It also means that trolleys like the K cars and the PCCs can continue running indefinitely.

How does this work exactly? Also I always thought that pantograph compatible OCS was also attractive because it always a more efficient electric standard. Is this true and if so, how would an improved transmission be compatible with poles, their trolley wheels and the older vehicles motors?

Trumpism is the road to ruin

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development