HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 10:06 PM

yeah doubt any of that stays. if you look at the baltimore version they opened, its about as branded and corporate as it gets

youre definitely not going to mistake it for some punk DIY upstart

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 10:31 PM
Small but Mighty

Trib has an article with a few pictures. Doesn't look like they'll be saving any of the art or graffiti.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dinin...fii-story.html

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
Trib has an article with a few pictures. Doesn't look like they'll be saving any of the art or graffiti.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dinin...fii-story.html
Well that is a shame. And also quite ugly. I always thought they should rebuild the sangamon bridge as a ped bridge and turn that old depot into some open air structure, landscape it, and the whole thing be a street art park.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 12:31 AM
The City

^ Not a shame at all. It’s bringing about a productive use as a great place to drink beer.

And it will be on the tax rolls.

We need fewer abandoned “art parks” and more tax generating structures. Guinness will pay the rent. And I will drink beer.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 12:58 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
Well that is a shame. And also quite ugly. I always thought they should rebuild the sangamon bridge as a ped bridge and turn that old depot into some open air structure, landscape it, and the whole thing be a street art park.
Rebuild it as a real bridge. Foolish for the city to provide no grade-separated crossings between Halsted and Ogden. No reason that can't coexist with Latsko's development.

In fact, a bridge there makes his property more valuable since traffic would be funneled right to the front door. He just needs to squeeze the FAR balloon and build a little taller.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Not a shame at all. It’s bringing about a productive use as a great place to drink beer.

We need fewer abandoned “art parks” and more tax generating structures. Guinness will pay the rent. And I will drink beer.
That Hubbard/green area has actually become a nexus of street art. I see lots of tourists around, that depot is somewhat of an Instagram phenomenon. I just think it’s a shame to paint it grey, I don’t mind the conversion at all. Without the art though, it’s a… shed

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
That Hubbard/green area has actually become a nexus of street art. I see lots of tourists around, that depot is somewhat of an Instagram phenomenon. I just think it’s a shame to paint it grey, I don’t mind the conversion at all. Without the art though, it’s a… shed
This reminds me of some pictures I took in Fulton I forgot to post several months ago. I was walking through and saw them painting this mural on the north side of 167 N Green at Halsted and Lake. I haven't seen anyone post it yet.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 1:07 PM
The City

^ I definitely favor murals by commissioned artists, even lesser known names, to give people opportunities to show their talent.

Chicago has numerous opportunities for that especially on so many of those god-awful parking podia that have been built over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
L]
Wow that is a really ugly tool shed for someone to visit for an average beer. That's really a shame.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Wow that is a really ugly tool shed for someone to visit for an average beer. That's really a shame.
Yea I think guinness would be overestimating the cache of their name if they slap a monotone paint on an old warehouse. Bottom line is it would be just another tap room. Better to preserve the essence of the Street Art through the rehab. There are plenty of visual identity options to branding including Roof Art like the Morton salt building.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

"It's a shame this building can't stay abandoned and deteriorate further for future generations to enjoy!"

WTF people, no, vacant buildings bad, occupied buildings good.

The only shame here is that Guinness is pulling a hipster and painting the brick black. The correct thing to do here would be to strip all that paint, repoint the brick, and then let them paint just the logo over it like they did in the good old days. No one used to paint entire buildings, they would just slap their logo up there and let the red brick shine around it. A big black "GUINNESS" imposed over red brick would be a far bolder impression than creme against a huge black wall...

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
"It's a shame this building can't stay abandoned and deteriorate further for future generations to enjoy!"

WTF people, no, vacant buildings bad, occupied buildings good.
Weird how the two of you have found the same strawman to argue with. Who expressed a desire for the building to remain vacant? Seems like we're just disappointed a building covered in interesting, original art is going to be painted a bland, generic black/gray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
"
The only shame here is that Guinness is pulling a hipster and painting the brick black. .
Wow great point! Lmao

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 6:11 PM
Show me the blueprints

I hope this cool development will make their product taste better.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 6:16 PM
1st Ward

I am definitely in favor of keeping the mural on the building, but barring that, then LVDW's plan of power-washing the building to let the original brick shine would be a decent consolation prize. Painting it grey/black would be the worst outcome for sure.

Either case, cool that Guinness is coming to town! Kind of bummed that they wont be brewing their namesake beer here, that will still be imported from Ireland. I've had Guinness in Ireland, and I really do think it tastes better when it hasn't been pasteurized for the long journey to the US.

Hopefully they last longer than Ballast Point, which I think they should have no problem doing. They are pretty popular over all, more so than Ballast Point is as a brand in this city at least. I'll definitely be stopping by for a few pints once it opens.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I am definitely in favor of keeping the mural on the building, but barring that, then LVDW's plan of power-washing the building to let the original brick shine would be a decent consolation prize. Painting it grey/black would be the worst outcome for sure.

Either case, cool that Guinness is coming to town! Kind of bummed that they wont be brewing their namesake beer here, that will still be imported from Ireland. I've had Guinness in Ireland, and I really do think it tastes better when it hasn't been pasteurized for the long journey to the US.

Hopefully they last longer than Ballast Point, which I think they should have no problem doing. They are pretty popular over all, more so than Ballast Point is as a brand in this city at least. I'll definitely be stopping by for a few pints once it opens.
Agree on all points about the depot . I also do miss ballast point.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 6:26 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
i thought that a lot (most?) of the guiness-branded beer we drink in the US is actually contract brewed up in cacada?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 6:38 PM

It's paywalled but I think Crain's updated saying the tower next to the brewery will be residential instead of office.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 7:04 PM

^ updated text
Quote:
He also said he recently "switched gears" from plans for an office building on the site and is now talking with city officials about developing a residential tower with about 400 units instead.

"I didn't move forward with the office building full-steam ahead because office (use) just hasn't come across the tracks yet," he said, calling the site "a natural for residential" development.

Latsko said he received a letter from the city's Department of Planning & Development requesting that he go before the recently formed Committee on Design to hone plans for the project.
A 33 story building with 400 units will really help bridge Fulton Market with River West and Fulton River District. Also, speaking of highrise news for Morgan St:

Key McDonald's vendor close to Fulton Market HQ deal
Quote:
A west suburban supply chain management company that got its start helping McDonald's with deliveries to its Chicago-area locations is following the Golden Arches to the Fulton Market District, bringing what will likely be hundreds of jobs downtown.

Havi Group is in advanced talks to lease around 100,000 square feet in the 11-story office building developer Sterling Bay broke ground on this month at 345 N. Morgan St., according to sources familiar with the negotiations. If the deal is completed, Havi is expected to move its headquarters from 3500 Lacey Road in Downers Grove, where it leases about 150,000 square feet today.
Details of when Havi would move downtown and how many jobs will be based in Fulton Market are unclear, and a spokesman for the company couldn't be reached. Havi has about 500 employees locally, according to tech job search resource Built In Chicago.
But downtown's gain with Havi is a loss for the suburbs, where landlords are hoping the droves of millennials who have moved there from the city during the pandemic will ultimately lift demand for their buildings. Havi is slated to leave behind a well-located, recently renovated building in Downers Grove, the type of suburban office property that has been attracting big tenants more often than losing them over the past few years.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...dor-havi-group

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
^ updated text

A 33 story building with 400 units will really help bridge Fulton Market with River West and Fulton River District. Also, speaking of highrise news for Morgan St:

Key McDonald's vendor close to Fulton Market HQ deal

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...dor-havi-group
345 N Morgan is only 200,000 sqft, so that's half the building. I believe Sterling built this 'on spec' from something I read once they lost the Google commitment last year. So now it's 50% occupied in one go.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 7:42 PM

Quote:
power-washing the building to let the original brick shine would be a decent consolation prize
they may have to paint it black because it's very hard to remove paint from a porous and soft brick surface without significant damage to the brick

it was likely painted in the first place due to deterioration of the brick's themselves - you can see this approach on many buildings around town

please don't paint or power wash old brick - it's fine the way it is

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations