HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 7:26 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownCity View Post
And that banal signage needs to go. I don't know if that particular font style is a requirement for those brands, but if it's not, then they definitely need to change it because it's way too dull, imo. There's plenty of other font options to choose from...

Also paint it plaid like Mr Downtown suggested so it can match the Burberry store
Can't tell if sarcasm or sincere gripes...

I like the Nordstrom and Conrad signage. They're both pretty elegant and timeless. The Conrad even has the crossbar missing from the A! The only objectionable signage in the picture is the "PARKING" sign, which is in one of those close-set "deco" typefaces popular in the late 90s.

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 7:36 PM
The City

^ Everything about that development looks like crap.

Perhaps 80 years from now people will appreciate this development being so typical for the era in which it was built (because, after all, everything that grandpa's generation built was charming and built to last), but I for one just have no use for it. I don't know how you could even build something like this and have anything but disdain for it from day one

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 9:19 PM
TL;DR

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 9:29 PM

Must not be easy being a mall in a "lifestyle center" generation.

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 10:08 PM
The City

I really wish the city would lighten up about video screens. Many of those blank walls, such as the ones above or those parking podia all over downtown, would be a wonderful place for some video advertising.

I know some people just hate that kind of stuff, but blank walls really suck the life out of everything around them. At least video screens are...animated.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 12:12 AM

Lake and Wabash Hotel rehab

Last edited by harryc; May 28, 2013 at 1:39 AM.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 1:15 AM
BANNED

Please remove post

Last edited by jarta; May 28, 2013 at 1:44 AM. Reason: Please remove post

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarta View Post
^^^ Lake & Wells? Isn't that the NE corner of Lake and Wabash?
Yes - thx

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 2:07 AM

Do you think "REP" means repair or repurpose?

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 2:35 AM
Urbane observer

^REPlace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
What does this refer to? Ugly windowless buildings or something else?
Blind windows. That is, the building Walgreens or CVS moves into has windows, but the drugstore just puts a sign or display of old photos in the window and then installs shelving units facing the store interior.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 2:37 AM

So, not republican?

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I really wish the city would lighten up about video screens. Many of those blank walls, such as the ones above or those parking podia all over downtown, would be a wonderful place for some video advertising.

I know some people just hate that kind of stuff, but blank walls really suck the life out of everything around them. At least video screens are...animated.
I totally agree with your opinion. I wish we actually had LED signs in downtown Chicago, specially in the loop

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 4:52 AM

A few friends and I discussed this on a trip to Toronto. Like Dundas square, the newer buildings around it are unremarkable in architecture....like some of the newer buildings in River North.

We finally decided that the post office in RN should be demolished and replaced with a large plaza. All the parking podiums around it would be clad with screens. I don't know if there's a way you can design the LED sockets with some sort of hood so that the lights don't shine up into residences, but maybe.....

Maybe I'm just used to all the light. It's bright as daylight over here on Oak and Rush and I have one easy solution...close the blinds at night. When you close the blinds it makes your place dark. Besides...when you look outside and see all the lights it's characteristic of the city.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 5:32 AM

It's always so jarring seeing that CBS building's LED screen across from Daley plaza (I think), not because it's distracting but just because it's so unusual around here.

I kind of like the strict signage rules downtown because you get utter chaos without them. In NYC it's a constant barrage of signs and ads and banners and illegal fruit carts, it overwhelms my brain. It seems like a kind of core decision you have to make about what you want your city to be like. Serene but controlled and possibly milktoast, or lively but uncontrollable and possibly an eyesore.

I do agree that downtown residents shouldn't complain about the lights, though. That's one of the things you sign up for. It's like moving to the seashore and complaining about the breeze.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
I do agree that downtown residents shouldn't complain about the lights, though. That's one of the things you sign up for. It's like moving to the seashore and complaining about the breeze.

I agree with you guys. Downtown is a place with many buildings, lights, etc. The same as noise. If you don't want to be bothered by it, then don't live downtown. It's that simple. I wish there were more video board type of things.

The plaza from Toronto looks cool. That's one of my main issues with Chicago. Not enough plaza areas (big or small) that are vibrant and a little closer. I am not a fan of things like Daley Plaza. I hardly consider that an actual plaza.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 6:29 AM

I like the P.O. Demolition / Plaza Construction Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
A few friends and I discussed this on a trip to Toronto. Like Dundas square, the newer buildings around it are unremarkable in architecture....like some of the newer buildings in River North.

We finally decided that the post office in RN should be demolished and replaced with a large plaza. All the parking podiums around it would be clad with screens. I don't know if there's a way you can design the LED sockets with some sort of hood so that the lights don't shine up into residences, but maybe.....

Maybe I'm just used to all the light. It's bright as daylight over here on Oak and Rush and I have one easy solution...close the blinds at night. When you close the blinds it makes your place dark. Besides...when you look outside and see all the lights it's characteristic of the city.

I really like that thought about demolishing the post office and building a plaza and allowing for LEDs on the podiums around there.

I am OK with loosening up the LED rules in Chicago a little bit, but let's not go crazy here. I agree with wierdarron - its nice that we kept it strict because not only does it help to maintain the character of Chicago, but it can overwhelm my brain. A little loosening would be alright though.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 12:28 PM
The City

^ But what is the 'character of Chicago' we are preserving?

If we're talking about the side of the Reliance Building, or of IBM Plaza, sure, I'm with you. But the Grand Plaza parking garage? Everybody agrees that nearly all the parking garages in this city are a hideous bane on the streetscape, begging to be covered up by something less unsightly. I would rather see a video screen advertising Orbitz gum than a beige wall with fake windows

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ But what is the 'character of Chicago' we are preserving?

If we're talking about the side of the Reliance Building, or of IBM Plaza, sure, I'm with you. But the Grand Plaza parking garage? Everybody agrees that nearly all the parking garages in this city are a hideous bane on the streetscape, begging to be covered up by something less unsightly. I would rather see a video screen advertising Orbitz gum than a beige wall with fake windows
That's exactly the point we had in Toronto. There's a lot of beige precast that could be swapped out for something interesting.

Of course Chicago would have restrictions. Over time the city has loosened up the rules a bit, but most of that applied to N. Michigan Ave. It seems they are open to electronic signage on State Street, but maybe there's an opportunity for a times square like space in RN without all kitsch.

I think there is a way to balance all the visual noise with concerns of the neighbors. It's true that bright flashing screens at night can be a nuisance, but I think there's strategies to correct that.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 5:14 PM
Content provider

I'd actually be ok with one small district in river north to be basically full open

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I agree with you guys. Downtown is a place with many buildings, lights, etc. The same as noise. If you don't want to be bothered by it, then don't live downtown. It's that simple. I wish there were more video board type of things.
What constitutes "downtown" though? You also have to consider the fact that most of the new LED signs we're going to be getting (along expressways) are in fact in very residential areas and are going to severely blight many people's neighborhoods.

Im not on board with the relentless push towards Times Squaring everything. People need to take a deep breath and remember that vibrant neighborhoods exist all over the world (and have for generations) without gaudy television screens slapped on the sides of buildings, and IMO using them is compensating for the lack thereof. The notion that people here are so gung ho about being force fed more advertising really makes me scratch my head....who actually wants more of this in their day to day life? The exceptions would be if it was being done in the name of art, in which case I can see some possibilities (similar to what was originally proposed for Block 37)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development